Find jobs for Engineer

1.7
Bodybuilding.com CEO   Jas Krdzalic
Jas Krdzalic
0 Rating

"Lost and wandering, hiring lots of contractors"

Former Employee - Developer/Software Engineer

I worked at Bodybuilding.com full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

- Very flexible with schedules when they can be. - Remote/WFH is in good shape - Benefits are up to par

Cons

- Salaries are weak - Bonuses are a joke - Raises are slow to be seen and usually not impressive - Top level talent doesn't stay long and hasn't been encouraged to stay - "Making more money" is very important to them, but they can't seem to figure out how - Loss of customer focus

"DO NOT WORK FOR THIS COMPANY!!!!"

Former Employee - Systems Engineer in Lakeland, FL
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Bodybuilding.com full-time for less than a year

Pros

Agile environment. Work from home

Cons

Super volatile environment. I resigned from a 6 year full time position with the promise of a great job that would support me while getting up to speed. I started working there and was given no help from my team or manager to get going. They are super unorganized. Was told they didn’t have enough work for me after a month and laid me off

Continue reading

"Death throes of a dynasty"

Former Employee - Engineer in Boise, ID

I worked at Bodybuilding.com full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Corporate gym, above average (but declining) benefits. Likely an attractive acquisition target and the new owners may treat you better or at least offer a decent severance package.

Cons

Since the dismissal of the company founder BBCom has gone through multiple CEOs, each taking a different angle to right the clearly sinking ship. Many managers cannot be trusted and leadership is completely opaque. The only reliable thing from leadership is that they'll break nearly every promise made. Top-down communication is non-existent. Promised 360 reviews never materialized after an initial rollout, likely because the reviews of management were so negative and rather than facing reality they chose to ignore clear signs of incompetence and mismanagement. HR is in shambles. The company can't hire quality talent or even conduct a decent exit interview. Bro-culture still runs the show. Women need not apply unless you're slim, pretty and keep opinions to yourself.

Continue reading

"Can't recommend unless you're desperate for a temporary position"

Current Employee - Software Engineer

I have been working at Bodybuilding.com full-time for more than a year

Pros

Technology stack is vaguely interesting. Working on a large web presence is a great experience A lot of fun people to work with

Cons

A lot of volatility They can't seem to focus on one thing but instead change their mind every other month, wasting lots of engineering time and effort. Declining profits means everything is getting scaled back No raises this year Certain bosses are truly not nice people who do not like disagreement or your own opinion Questionable business decisions Questionable treatment of customers in order to stop the declining revenues Employees mysteriously disappear without a real explanation

Continue reading

"Used to be a great company"

Current Employee - Software QA Engineer in Boise, ID

I have been working at Bodybuilding.com full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

You really do have the feeling that you're changing lives, and the people there are some of the best you'll ever work with.

Cons

With the ecommerce market getting crowded, company profits aren't growing like they used to. However, they keep pouring money into the terrible marketing team, sending them to team builders and parties all the time.

6. "Good company"

4.0
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Alajuela

I worked at Bodybuilding.com full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

good environment they use new technologies every other time.

Cons

grow is difficult since development team is small. CEO used to change priorities every month.

7. "Software Engineer"

4.0
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Boise, ID

I worked at Bodybuilding.com full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

nice working environment. helpful people. focus on health, fitness, etc

Cons

less or no training for new comers

"Think twice"

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Portland, OR

I worked at Bodybuilding.com full-time for more than a year

Pros

The engineering team is working on moving the company's technology stack to a micro services architecture deployed to Amazon Web Services. There is a lot of interesting things to work on.

Cons

There has been a lot of instability at the company for the last year and a half. The just laid off 15% of the workforce after months of insisting that that was not going to happen. It is especially risky for those who are not at the corporate headquarters in Boise. I'm not convinced that the new corporate direction is well thought through. They're trying to add new audiences but may be taking their eye off of their core constituency.

"Siloed"

Current Employee - Engineer in Portland, OR

I have been working at Bodybuilding.com full-time for more than a year

Pros

High level of autonomy being in a satellite office, you can come and go as you please with minimal question of your whereabouts.

Cons

Concerns about how long the PDX office will be around. Although autonomy is a positive, at times, the office feels like a completely separate entity from the rest of the company. Senior leadership seems ill-equipped at solving the difficult challenges the company faces and is either unwilling or unable to adjust.

"Software engineer"

Software Engineer in Boise, ID

I have been working at Bodybuilding.com

Pros

young, exiting company, interesting projects and technology.

Cons

lack of planning, constant priority switches, lack of vision

Found 17 reviews