EF Education First Reviews | Glassdoor.com.au

Eddie Hult

1,217 Employee Reviews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Work life balance can be a little tricky (in 50 reviews)

• Not a ton of room to grow can have long hours at times (in 72 reviews)

1. "Teaching assistant"

I worked at EF Education First part-time

Pros

Inspiring and motivating working atmosphere

Cons

sometimes relatively lack of coordination between colleagues

"Things you don't know from the outside if you're a new teacher."

Former Employee - English As A Second Language Teacher in Sydney
    Former Employee - English As A Second Language Teacher in Sydney

Pros

The staff were very friendly and always helpful; that included the more experienced teachers and the admin. Its a great place to get experience and understanding in how EL schools operate. There was a lot of resources at the college outside of their own material such as mainstream course books.

The work culture is fun and social, there is usually a good vibe among employees and admin staff alike.

Cons

Firstly I just want to note that my experience was largely impacted by me being a new ELT; more experienced teachers working there said they did not spend nearly as long as me planning, however many still looked stressed and were frequently rushing about.

You will work a lot more hours that you are paid for, especially if you are a new teacher; and no, you will not be compensated for this. You are paid an extra half hour, per hour that you work to allow for lesson planning; however if you are new to the company, a lot of time will be spent getting to know their policies and procedures and you have to learn as you go because there is only a half day training offered.

If you also happen to be new at teaching, then you can add many more unpaid hours to you're schedule. The school has ample opportunities for students to give feedback so you will work extra hours making sure you're lessons will be up to scratch so the students in you're class don't complain about you and get you cautioned or perhaps eventually fired. I was working some weeks almost double the hours I was being paid for, although I did this not to avoid complaining students but out of a sense of responsibility to provide them adequate lessons which most of the time took many more hours that I was being paid for.

You will also have to do admin work that you are not paid for, after a while you can find tricks to get some admin done on class time while the students are busy. You will need to have high energy and not be planning to have much of a life at all outside this job during the initial first weeks.

After about the 4 week mark myself and a lot of other new teachers were noticing that the extra hours we had been putting in during the first few weeks were coming down as we got the hang of things. Eventually you can also reuse materials if you are around long enough.

Advice to Management

ATTN: Advice to the owners, not management; management were fantastic. Either increase the hourly rate or pay staff for more than a half hour per hour for planning. The staff there work really hard and deserve more than what they are getting. This will lead to better conditions for the students also as they won't have tired, stressed teachers who have rushed to finish planning lessons. The free food and snacks provided at various times was appreciated although I do not know who's pocket it came from. More than a half day training would be useful or extra paid hours for the first few weeks for training.

"High Employer Turnover"

I worked at EF Education First full-time

Pros

Frequent parties, decent colleagues and great building in Sydney.

Cons

Poor pay, politics in office, colleagues have poor impression of management. Too profit focused.

Advice to Management

Keep your employees for longer, provide more training, pay more than just minimum wage. Keep promises and be aware of employees trying to create negativity.

5. "Middle of the road"

Former Employee - EF English Teacher in Sydney
    Former Employee - EF English Teacher in Sydney

I worked at EF Education First full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good location teaching was very close to the opera house,easy to follow teaching material,upper management were nice

Cons

Poor pay I was getting $17.50 an hour that's minimum wage in oz and not enough for the job.The discription states degree educated with experience teachibg abroad those qualities alone demand a higher rate.the students were housed in Campbell town which is a bad area and too far for them and us to travel to and from.some of my students had complaints about the host families not feeding them correctly not making an effort with them etc.

Advice to Management

Pay the teachers more than minimum wage encourage families from wealthier closer areas to take part in the exchange program, having the kids travel an hour everyday to get to class or go sightseeing is too much.Keep a track of how host families are looking after the children I heard children being told they could only have 3min showers during winter,being given the same thing everyday for lunch homemade cheap sandwiches,being told they couldn't use the Internet because it's expensive and sharing rooms with the host families children.im pretty sure this wasnt something that was what their parents expected they were sending their children to.

6. "heaps of fun. little pay"

I have been working at EF Education First full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

great people, family feeling.
    opportunity to grow if willing to move abroad

Cons

low salary and no room for negotiation

7. "Overall Wonderful Place to Work"

I worked at EF Education First full-time

Pros

Amazing people, so much fun and you really learn about running a business

Cons

Salary isn't as high as other sales jobs but this is also VERY unlike other sales jobs (in a good way!)

8. "Good"

I have been working at EF Education First full-time

Pros

Helpful with the process in moving over to china

Cons

I wish the pay was better

9. "EF Miami ESL teacher"

Former Employee - ESL Teacher in Miami, FL (US)
    Former Employee - ESL Teacher in Miami, FL (US)

I worked at EF Education First full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great first teaching job.
    Lots of on-the-job training
    Get to make your own lesson plans and conduct class as you wish.

Cons

Relatively low pay for the amount of work.

Advice to Management

Keep it up!

10. "Regional Placement Manager"

I have been working at EF Education First full-time

Pros

The people, culture and the mission.

Cons

Salary and bonus potential should be more competitive.

11. "Teacher/Houseparent"

Former Employee - Teacher/Houseparent in Thornwood, NY (US)
    Former Employee - Teacher/Houseparent in Thornwood, NY (US)

I worked at EF Education First full-time

Pros

The students are wonderful, and there are some people in the administration who have the teachers' best interests at heart. Additionally, faculty relationships and support are high if you are willing to build relationships.

Cons

Employment feels very unstable and office politics are high. Can be very competitive and unstructured. Very test-focused. Low-level students get great classroom support, but not as much from the administration. High turnover

Advice to Management

Know your market and support low-level English students.

Showing 1,217 of 1,403 reviews