HackerAgency Reviews

Updated 13 Apr 2020

2.3
HackerAgency President/CEO Spyro Kourtis
Spyro Kourtis
Pros
  • "Nice office, good downtown location, free snacks, great people to work with(in 17 reviews)

• "I've met some great people here and worked on some really awesome projects(in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • "I had moments where I was constantly working, but more often than not I had true work life balance, which is rare in clients service(in 15 reviews)

• "Work-life balance can be a struggle, since long hours are sometimes required(in 14 reviews)

1. "Independent and growing"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at HackerAgency full-time for more than a year

Pros

It's nice to see an agency be able to return to independence and then thrive. Agile approach influences the team culture in powerful ways. Lots to learn here with a sharp group that rolls up their sleeves to get things done.

Cons

Work continues to be seasonal - so there are times that are much busier than others.

2. "Account Manager"

5.0
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Seattle, WA

I worked at HackerAgency full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

This agency very genuinely embraces employees who have an entrepreneurial spirit and developed, thoughtful ideas to bring to the table. In my experience, you will absolutely get back what you put in at Hacker. People who demonstrate ownership and a growth mindset are rewarded with autonomy and appreciation. It could be a grind at times but overall was a fun, playful culture. And I think things have only gotten better over time.

Cons

Like any agency, you are limited by the constraints of your clients - their budgets, their priorities. I had moments where I was constantly working, but more often than not I had true work life balance, which is rare in clients service.

3. "A great place to be"

I have been working at HackerAgency full-time

Pros

Great environment. Great coworkers. Nice clients. If you're looking for a chance to learn lots, it's the right place to be. Smaller team means more opportunity

Cons

The work here is cyclical with certain times of the year being so so busy and others much less so.

"Good for a year"

Former Employee - Production Artist in Seattle, WA

I worked at HackerAgency full-time for more than a year

Pros

great people and pay is ok

Cons

The account managers lose their clients to quick, which means less income and layoffs

5. "Not Bad"

I worked at HackerAgency full-time

Pros

Extended creative way past direct mail.

Cons

Had an old school mentality about butts in seats visibilty.

"Floundering Agency Trying to Reinvent Itself"

I worked at HackerAgency full-time

Pros

Hacker cutting its overlord ties to become independent might have been a step in the right direction. Leadership claimed to give remaining employees (after massive layoffs) more of a voice.

Cons

Aforementioned massive layoffs. Loss of major clients. Complete lack of direction. Drama.

April 10, 2018Vice President

We have a vision we have a direction, we have clients (old and new) - and we wish you the best of luck in your future.

"Be aware of the realities ahead..."

2.0

I have been working at HackerAgency full-time

Pros

Some people are great (others not so much) Location is cool (but not permanent) Snacks and beverages provided

Cons

Recent changes resulting in reduced staff. Workloads are becoming unmanageable. Be prepared to approach this like any start-up. You'll experience some late nights, work over weekends and holiday closures. :(

January 19, 2018Vice President

Thank you for your feedback - and I'm sorry to see this - it is important to us that our team knows we are open to input. With that said, please raise your hand for help either in the daily meeting or elsewhere. It is critical to our efforts that our teams have a voice. On other note, we are confident that our new location will be equally cool.

"Terrible work environment"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I worked at HackerAgency full-time for less than a year

Pros

Hacker gives you the ability to be yourself. When you work there you have a lot of free time to do what you want and you can come in when you feel like it. It isn’t a place where you feel like you have to work if you really don’t want to. They let you do what you what.

Cons

- You are yelled at if you do anything wrong. - If you don’t have exactly what is needed to get the job done, you are thrown under a bus. - Nobody cares where you are or what you are doing as long as you have something when your deadline hits then it’s alright - You don’t have the ability to provide helpful input - It feels like upper management has their own agenda - Everything is done at the last minute - Upper management can be extremely rude and unprofessional The list goes on.

January 29, 2018Vice President

While I don’t recognize the environment you describe here – at all - I want to apologize that you did not have a positive experience at HackerAgency. We wish you the very best in your future.

"New Agency"

I have been working at HackerAgency full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Nice office, good downtown location, free snacks, great people to work with. A good company working towards making it great!

Cons

Already been listed in earlier reviews. Its old news for an old company. And some of it was more “fake news” then the real thing.

December 27, 2017CFO

Thank you! We are so pleased and gratified to see your comments - times are changing and we are looking forward to a productive, exciting new year.

"May the odds..."

I worked at HackerAgency full-time

Pros

The view from the building on fourth avenue is really quite nice. You can’t see the Space Needle but you do get a view of the ferries. Also they have free snacks, which is great, because they’re free. In its heyday, Hacker was a fast-moving, lead driving, direct response machine. But, like hammer pants and slap bracelets, direct mail went out of fashion. Clients caught on to the racket they were running on print production, and they began dropping like flies a couple years ago.

Cons

Hacker fosters a culture of aggression. Leadership yells in meetings. Employees cry in the stairwell. The account team is to be treated like royalty, the creative team like drones, and operations like cogs in a wheel. The compensation structure is at least fair now. In the past, employees were paid a quarterly bonus, which varied according to an obscure formula pinned on company profitibility. Imagine sitting in a room with your coworkers, eating cafeteria food, and turning to see a count-up ticker that would let you know how much money you were to live on for the next three months. If it made it to 100%, you could pay your mortgage. If it didn’t, you had to keep a straight face until you left the room. Quarter quells have been replaced with a more straightforward salary. A focus on direct mail (and eventually, email), has resulted in a total lack of innovation from the top down. Hacker keeps pushing list driven tactics, and clients aren’t interested.

December 27, 2017CFO

Apologies for the delay in responding. We are sorry that working at Hacker Agency wasn't a good fit for you. While what you describe doesn't reflect our reality, that doesn't mean it is easy to read. We do hope that while you were here you were comfortable sharing your feedback via one of the many open door forums we offer. We wish you the best of luck and hope that you find what you are looking for in your next position. Thank you, Hacker Agency HR

Found 130 reviews