Insurance Australia Group Reviews

Updated 22 May 2020

3.4
Insurance Australia Group Managing Director and Chief Executive Officer Peter Harmer (no image)
Peter Harmer
Pros
  • "Flexible working hours and great benefits as IAG are partnered with a broad range of external partners(in 34 reviews)

• "Healthy work Culture and work life balance(in 27 reviews)

Cons
  • "Then a sweeping mass restructure comes because they can't decide on appropriate incremental change(in 18 reviews)

• "Constant restructures, although they have a fantastic outplacement program(in 13 reviews)

1. "Good place"

I have been working at Insurance Australia Group full-time for less than a year

Pros

Good benefits, flexible working

Cons

Constant restructuring that takes place

Insurance Australia Group2020-02-19
  2. "Great place to work"

Former Employee - Fraud Analyst in Sydney

I worked at Insurance Australia Group full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

freedom to set own priorities

Cons

Poor incentive scheme, unattainable in many cases

Insurance Australia Group2020-05-12
  3. "Good but disorganized"

Former Employee - Claims Consultant In Call Centre in Melbourne
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Insurance Australia Group full-time for less than a year

Pros

No micro management, straightforward role, good pay, rewarding

Cons

Lack of staff to deal with huge workload, little management at time of catastrophic natural disasters in Australia. Angry customers, little support, training almost non existent. For a backpacker it was a great job but I wouldn't want to do it as a resident.

Continue reading
    Insurance Australia Group2020-04-02
  4. "Great company culture"

Current Employee - Principal, CX Strategy in Sydney

I have been working at Insurance Australia Group full-time

Pros

Working with people who genuinely care and want to make a positive impact for our customers

Cons

Takes a while to understand the whole business as it’s the largest insurer

Insurance Australia Group2020-02-09

"Ever-changing"

Current Employee - Learning and Development Consultant in Sydney

I have been working at Insurance Australia Group part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good flexibility, pockets of great culture.

Cons

I had 7 managers in 3 years due to various reasons.

Insurance Australia Group2020-02-17
  6. "One of the best employers in Australia"

Current Employee - Consulting Geologist in Sydney

I have been working at Insurance Australia Group full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great workplace culture, decent pay package, plenty of professional training opportunities

Cons

Growth opportunities somewhat may be limited if not working in core business units

Insurance Australia Group2020-01-28
  7. "Perfect Work life balance"

Former Employee - Automation Engineer in Sydney

I worked at Insurance Australia Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good team. Mostly stable employment. Very flexible working hours. Gym, Yoga and all the good stuff. Employee benefits for insurance. Free vacation care facility.

Cons

Takes time to adopt new technologies. Improper planning and architecting in some divisions. Many legacy systems and technologies.

Insurance Australia Group2020-01-06
  8. "My Time"

Former Employee - Senior Claims Consultant in Brisbane

I worked at Insurance Australia Group full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

- Your team : Upon progressing to a Senior role, you are effectively in a management position. Whilst there are Team Managers, most day to day team activities are organised by the Senior Consultants. - Phone Calls : there is no mistaking that the position of Claims Consultant is a 'call centre' job. However, Senior Consultants are not required to be on the active phone queues at all times, and generally only jump in to assist if call wait times get too long. This does change a bit during periods of natural disaster where volumes are quite high. - Extra Responsibility : as mentioned above, the position of Senior Consultant (or Assistant Manager for the RACV brand) is more akin to a management position rather than that of entry level employee. - Access : once you have progressed to Senior, you get access to more systems. - RDO's - the ability to take a 40 minute lunch rather than 60 minute and have 1 RDO per month.

Cons

- Higher Duties : the composition of a normal 'team' is it will have one Team Manager who is supported by one or two Senior Consultants and then anywhere from 12 to about 30 Consultants. As Senior Positions must be applied and recruited for, normally internally, I always believed that if the Team Leader were to be absent for any reason (e.g. Holidays, sick leave, etc) then the teams Senior Consultant should almost automatically be seconded into the Team Manager position. Understandably there might be exceptions, however as the role of senior is one that someone must actively apply for after they have the required experience, that demonstrates their desirability for career progression. However, it's a very rare occasion that this occurred during my time at IAG and many great seniors would have missed out on gaining valuable Management experience. - Staff morale is so easily affected in a call centre environment, especially when required recruitment to meet required FTE's is not undertaken, and teams are forever short staffed. - Unless you want to move to Sydney where head office is, moving sideways in the company is difficult. - All in all, when Brisbane was largely managed by Brisbane and handled Queensland claims, the working environment was great, but with the introduction of a new phone system, nationalised structure and movement of jobs offshore, the work environment started to feel quite different and at times, uncomfortable.

Insurance Australia Group2020-01-19
  9. "No Real Managers Available"

1.0
    Former Employee - Assessor in Blacktown

I worked at Insurance Australia Group full-time for less than a year

Pros

I actually don’t think there are any

Cons

Poor management, extreme expectations, no leader ship. The whole environment exists on people trying to backstab or set other co workers up for a fall in the aim of career progression. One of the worst and most sour companies I have worked. Extremely unprofessional. If only the share holders knew how their “profits” were made.

Continue reading
    Insurance Australia Group2020-02-08
  10. "Lots of opportunities"

Former Employee - Insights Manager in Melbourne

I worked at Insurance Australia Group full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great flexible work environment and opportunities to those willing to work for them

Cons

Constant structural change which creates some confusion

Insurance Australia Group2019-12-27