LateRooms.com Reviews

Updated 9 Feb 2020

3.5
LateRooms.com Executive Chairman Hugo Kimber (no image)
Hugo Kimber
Pros
  • "City centre location was perfect, and close to transport links made it ideal for me really(in 12 reviews)

• "Enjoyed my time with the company, was full of lots of great people who became friends(in 9 reviews)

1. "Learnt so much"

Current Employee - Software Developer in Manchester, England

I have been working at LateRooms.com full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Relaxed friendly fun with some real culture both in terms of the work and social

Cons

Pay wasn’t the best

2. "Great place to work"

Former Employee - N/A

I worked at LateRooms.com full-time

Pros

Great culture and team. The people made it.

Cons

Great place to work, was very sorry to leave

3. "Great"

Current Employee - Service Manager

I have been working at LateRooms.com full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great Good Excellent Benefits great Staff good

Cons

Sad to see its closed down

4. "Review"

Former Employee - Customer Service in Manchester, England

I worked at LateRooms.com full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good work life balance, management easy to talk to

Cons

nothing really, all just fine.

Continue reading

"Hoping everything works out ok"

Former Employee - IT Analyst in Manchester, England

I worked at LateRooms.com full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The majority of the people are hard working, friendly and will genuinely help you out and make you feel welcome. I worked at LR for many years and count a lot of colleagues as friends. The office location is good and near enough to transport and places to eat. The company benefits recently got improved, including holidays and staff vouchers. Working hours are relatively flexible depending on your manager. Moving jobs/positions within the company is good, they will generally give you a lot of support if you're changing roles in the business. The technologies are pretty up to date. Agile way of working.

Cons

The salary is truly awful compared to the average in the area. Bad vibes in the Manchester office which all seem to centre around one specific staff member. No one seems to believe in the product. No one knows what the target audience is and the relevent teams don't appear to be given any resources to properly research who the product is aimed at. People losing faith in the company following on from recent news articles regarding missed payments and share prices falling. I see in a lot of reviews on here that the company respond to, advising people to raise concerns with managers/HR, but the same issues get raised over and over again and the people who are at fault never get reprimanded. It's a shame as the company used to be a global business with offices around the globe catering for many different countries. I'd really like to see Laterooms thrive again and be what it used to be in the market place.

6. "Not for everyone"

Former Employee - Finance

I worked at LateRooms.com full-time for more than a year

Pros

Young and dynamic working enviroment

Cons

Cut-throat employment practice - watch your back

7. "Continuous improvement culture and staff engagement focus"

4.0
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Manchester, England

I have been working at LateRooms.com full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The people are always the focus at Laterooms and have been since I started. The team work is fantastic and the opportunities for challenge and growth among staff is like nowhere I have ever worked before. There are challenges like with every changing business but the open and honest culture allows people to talk through the issues and try to work them through without fear of reproach or judgement which is refreshing. The HR team are working tirelessly on making staff benefits better and more aligned for all and they take a lot of criticism without the understanding that they are a very small team and stretched in a lot of directions. Personally I have always had someone I can turn to if I needed advice or a sounding board which cannot be said for many HR teams I have worked with previously. The absence of a CTO at present seems to have solidified the IT leadership team and allowed a more direct line into the board - feedback to this effect has been submitted to the SLT directly and it is very positive to hear that staff are secure in times of change. There are always areas to improve in any organisation but the bonus of LateRooms is that staff are listened to and the organisation as a whole are genuinely trying to make improvements wherever possible to ensure the success of the business and the people that make the place.

Cons

Things tend to take time at Laterooms when business wide change is required it would be good to see the organisation as a whole be more agile to deliver internal changes at pace. Senior people need to get out of the shrinking mindset - the organisation structure had to change to move forwards and build a new product. That product is now live and we need to shift the mentality of cost cutting and trimming down to support our future growth plans - stop challenging staff replacements with lesser roles and start to understand that we must support partners to the best of our ability and to do that we cannot run as lean as we have been in recent years.

July 5, 2019HR Assistant

Thank you for your valuable feedback, we are happy to hear your positive thoughts on our culture and the opportunity you have had to be a apart of our exciting transformation to a B2B proposition. The business works hard to ensure that the benefits it offers, rightly awards our employees for their hard work and commitment to their roles. We know there is always room for improvement, and we are always keen to hear ideas and suggestions from all employees on how we can make this an even better place to work. As you have shared, the business needed to change to move forward and we have made great progress with this now we have gone live with a number of UK National partners. In order to continue being successful in this, we need to ensure governance is in place to ensure the right decisions are made for the business. Thank you for sharing your thoughts with us again, we hope you continue to enjoy working at LateRooms.com.

"Lack of direction, bad management"

Former Employee - Market Executive in London, England

I worked at LateRooms.com full-time

Pros

Nice HQ Office in Manchester; OK Work/Life balance

Cons

Lack of direction; The product was not competitive; Impossible to meet the targets.

July 5, 2019HR Assistant

Thank you for the positive feedback on our office environment and culture. We work really hard to ensure our employees receive a good work/life balance through our flexible working practices. We are sorry that you felt that the expectations placed upon your role were un-achievable. Over the last few years we have undergone a huge transformation, shifting towards a B2B proposition, while maintaining the performance of our existing B2C brands. We communicated plans through various communication channels, company away days and business objectives, which are reviewed regularly. We are pleased to have gone live with UK National partners, and have ambitious plans for our future growth, while bringing our people along this exciting journey.

"Think Twice"

Former Employee - IT Manager in Manchester City Centre, England

I worked at LateRooms.com full-time for more than a year

Pros

I worked with some great people at LateRooms.

Cons

To many inexperienced Managers trying to run major parts of the business, resulting in a mass Exodus of talented people.

July 5, 2019HR Assistant

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts and we are pleased to hear that you worked with some great colleagues too. Our Talent Acquisition strategy is focused on achieving a mixed balance between internal promotion and hiring external candidates when recruiting for leadership and management positions. All leaders and managers partake in a leadership and management development programme to help them integrate into their new roles. All employees receive support and development in their roles through regular feedback in line with our performance and development process as well as access to development programmes. There is always room for improvement but we will continue to support to grow and develop our employees.

"Toxic atmosphere, constant loss of staff, poor pay rates and misdirected"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Manchester, England

I have been working at LateRooms.com full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good annual leave (increased at start of 2019 as struggling to recruit/retain staff) Some flexibility in working hours Get £100 voucher to spend on Sperbreak.com per year. If you do really well and someone leaves, you get to do their work too. Current acting CTO (and owner) Hugo Kimber is a great guy, open and honest with a good outlook for the company.

Cons

Toxic atmosphere. SLT are misdirected by SMT People in higher technical positions are not technical and have no clue how things work. Do not pay market rate. When someone leaves, they are generally not replaced like for like, responsabilites dived between whoever is left or replacement is a junior /less experienced role forcing a dilution in skills and more pressure other team members. HR ignore staffs advice on how to improve. Money is tight, the investors have had no return on their investment in the new brand and therefore will not invest any more monies. Stupid decisions are made which result in costing the company money, where this money could be invested in staff or equipment. Company is being swallowed up by bigger fish in market, each year decreases in size and profits, future outlook not looking too great.

July 5, 2019HR Assistant

Thank you for the detailed review. We appreciate the feedback regarding the company benefits as the business as undertaken a huge amount of work to enhance LateRooms.com benefits and appreciate our employees for all their hard work. You are right, recruitment is highly competitive in Manchester and we have been focusing our efforts around how we attract and retain the best talent as needed for the business. The company has undergone a huge amount of transformation, shifting from a B2C only proposition to incorporate B2B and have seen great success with on-boarding UK national partners. This is a growing part of our business, but we are still maintaining our existing consumer brands all lead by Hugo Kimber our Executive Chairman. We are sorry that you didn't feel we took your suggestions or feedback on board as we work hard to operate an open a door policy for any employee to raise questions or suggestions. This can be either to any member of the management team or HR through various forums like our Company town halls, Q&A with the board, Ask HR forums etc. If you would like to discuss this feedback, please don't hesitate to get in touch via HR@malvern.group.

Found 88 reviews