Medtronic Reviews | Glassdoor.com.au

Omar S. Ishrak

2,074 Employee Reviews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Work/life balance is incredibly challenging (in 113 reviews)

• Like any large company - there are many layers to get things done but the people make getting things done so easy (in 66 reviews)

1. "Great company to work for, very happy here"

Current Employee - Employee in Sydney
    Current Employee - Employee in Sydney

I have been working at Medtronic full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Reading through some the negative comments people have made on this site was a surprise for me, did they work for the same company? I have always found the culture is very people focussed both externally (patients and customers) and internally (employees). I find leaders to be approachable and down to earth but it's clear some leaders are better than others. I had a personal issue that effected me and I was supported well by my manager, HR and other senior people in my team. This is something that I will always remember and I know has happened with others. Very compassionate, fair, supportive and flexible.

Cons

No company is perfect and there are always things that could be better. The constant changing is unsettling and challenging to maintain momentum. Work/life balance can sometimes be compromised.

Advice to Management

Walk the talk - from what I've seen, some leaders don't. Hold each other accountable for driving a positive culture.

2. "Quality Consultant"

Former Employee - Quality Consultant in Sydney
    Former Employee - Quality Consultant in Sydney

I worked at Medtronic full-time

Pros

Management of Global project to implement a new electronic data management system to align with new FDA requirements.

Cons

Asia-Pacific operations not aligned with the new system requirements.

Advice to Management

Advised Executive Management in Medtronic, Boston, US on all Quality compliance management issues relating to the project .

"Great Mission & Focus, but the local substance is lacking"

Current Employee - Management in Sydney
    Current Employee - Management in Sydney

Pros

Fortunate to have spent over a decade with Medtronic, I can honestly say that their mission, direction, and motivation are genuine. I acknowledge as with any company, that financial motives are a key factor in decision making, but I can honestly say that I have witnessed a substantial number of occasions where the patient, customer, and employee come before the financial impact of the situation. This in combination with the direction that our current CEO (Omar Ishrak) is steering us gives me genuine belief in the overarching goal of our company and allows me to sleep soundly at night.

Cons

On the other hand, between the CEO (and his team) and the employees that are working day-in-and-day-out with the patients exists a completely misaligned and borderline antagonistic component of corporate culture at it worst. I have witnessed far too many examples of corporate 'jockeying' and allowing personal career agendas to supersede good corporate stewardship in the local, Australian market. Now, I understand that it is admirable and more than acceptable to want to advance your career with any organization, but it should never be at the cost of the 'external focus' of the company; which happens to be one of the key-traits for the company. To that note, and as my final recommendation/review, I recommend approaching Medtronic ANZ with caution as the mission will carry us all, but the local politics will make the ride rather uncomfortable.

Advice to Management

To management (& H.R.), I understand how it can be difficult to keep abreast of everything that is happening when considering the finite amount of time we are given to complete the growing list of tasks. However, it can be deceiving (though efficient) to rely so heavily on the vertical structure that delivers what's happening in our company. Instead, this has allowed the leaders to be steered like horses dragging a wagon by the middle-layer of the company. I speak confidently on this, as I am a mid-level manager with views into the re-packaging of information that serves career goals over company goals. Instead, I would advise that like any system, checks and balances are required to create parallel communication pathways that serve to make sure that all layers, and groups of the company are heard. There are currently individuals in the company whom have shared with me that they are even afraid to voice their concerns with H.R. due to the belief that they will not be treated with professionalism instead of nepotism. So, I offer this last bit of advice to our management; you can be efficient with people or effective with people, but you can't be both.....which do you choose.

"Growing company, know the political game!"

Former Employee - Territory Manager in Sydney
    Former Employee - Territory Manager in Sydney

I worked at Medtronic full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Company growth and acquisitions are constantly occurring and good for a career change within the company.
    Overall nice people
    Salary is above average
    Substantial commission structure
    Health insurance is included for your whole family within salary package
    Subsidised Fitness/ gym membership

Cons

Make sure you understand the political landscape otherwise you will get brushed aside regardless of qualifications
    Steep targets

"Big and bloated with no sense of purpose or direction"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sydney

Pros

Good salary and benefits. The medical insurance that US companies offer is a benefit here and the flexible working set up has been taken to laughable levels. Very good being clinical with no responsibility / accountability.

Cons

No leadership or direction locally. The Australian team hadn't made budget for years and the MD still kept his job! It is like a union with regard to how people demand things.

Advice to Management

Hire some better Australian senior management and set accountabilities for clinical staff.

"A culture of bullying and politicking."

Former Employee - Professional in Sydney
    Former Employee - Professional in Sydney

I worked at Medtronic full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good benefits including health care. Office is ok, easy access via both car and public transport.

Cons

A culture where bullying is not only tolerated but perpetuated by HR. HR and team leaders play favorites, and there is a continual 'survivor' mentality, in that you never know if you are going to make it through the next round of redundancies. You are promoted/ given pay rises based on your relationship with HR.

8. "Great"

Current Employee - Marketing Manager in Sydney
    Current Employee - Marketing Manager in Sydney

I have been working at Medtronic full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Mission statement is inspiring and motivating

Cons

money focus of the sales areas, patients now come second

Advice to Management

go back to the mission and focus on the patients

"Once a great culture losing its way because of cost cutting mentality"

I worked at Medtronic full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Flexible workplace
    - Health fund packaged

Cons

- Constant restructuring serving no purpose. People are let go and a few months later roles are hired for same positions with less capable employees.
    - Senior leadership promoted before they are ready. For example, lacking people skills, and business acumen.
    - Weak HR team. Feedback in reviews not followed up. Poor performers and managers with poor people skills are never confronted nor is feedback actioned.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees especially those leaving the company. Poor performers and management with poor people skills will drive out high performers.

"Surprisingly poor"

I worked at Medtronic full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Being in a growing industry

Cons

A toxic combination of poor management, and HR practices, that set individuals up for failure. Very surprising!

Advice to Management

Help your employees develop! After 30 years of exemplary performance, don't judge someone on 12 weeks, when they have been bereaved, been genuinely ill.

11. "Sr tooling engineer"

I worked at Medtronic full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good company reputation for future career

Cons

Big company for restriction to grow internally

Showing 2,074 of 2,297 reviews