Medtronic Reviews | Glassdoor.com.au

1,115 Ratings

2,460 Employee Reviews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Work Life balance is a big issue as the company is very focused on sales numbers (in 136 reviews)

• Typical large company matrix organization challenges (in 75 reviews)

1. "Sr tooling engineer"

I worked at Medtronic full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good company reputation for future career

Cons

Big company for restriction to grow internally

2. "Ok"

I worked at Medtronic full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good Sydney Base company free coffee on a monthly basis.

Cons

too much hussle and work

Advice to Management

Support system at other part of the world hopefully you could fastening it.

"Senior Sales Management"

Current Employee - Senior Sales Manager in Sydney
    Current Employee - Senior Sales Manager in Sydney

I have been working at Medtronic full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good company philosophy, and reputation. At global level, the company is heading in the right direction and the CEO has a great strategic outlook for adapting to the healthcare system of the future.

Cons

With regards to the Australian/NZ region, the company has lost the plot. Medtronic ANZ is culturally and strategically in a state of free-fall. Upper management is busier with internal power struggles than leading their businesses. Middle-management is a battle ground for personal motives that suppress company and healthcare interests. Front-line employees bare the brunt of the previously stated issues with increasingly imbalanced work-life ratios, with no relief in site as the funding cuts mean imminent restructuring. It breaks my heart to see after spending so long with this company, but the ANZ region just hasn't survived the Covidien acquisition with sound leadership intact who could maintain the culture and personnel to foster the right behavior needed. Additionally, HR became so understaffed and poorly led, that they were unable to keep a watchful eye on the internal politics. Ultimately, this has allowed many issues to embed themselves that will take a long time to rectify.

Advice to Management

Put down your personal agendas and powerpoint presentations, review your staff for true cultural behaviors, squash those who are self-promoting, decide whether ANZ is a sales or operations company, and reinstate the external focus that is one of the tenants of the organization.

"Big ball of mess!"

Current Employee - Sales Manager in Sydney
    Current Employee - Sales Manager in Sydney

I have been working at Medtronic full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good office, people generally nice, good benefits and competitive salaries.

Cons

Unethical / toxic culture, no work life balance, 365 day slogging, lack of leadership and communication , continous barrage of issues.

Advice to Management

i really wish things would start getting normal post the covidien merfer.

5. "Quality Consultant"

Former Employee - Quality Consultant in Sydney
    Former Employee - Quality Consultant in Sydney

I worked at Medtronic full-time

Pros

Management of Global project to implement a new electronic data management system to align with new FDA requirements.

Cons

Asia-Pacific operations not aligned with the new system requirements.

Advice to Management

Advised Executive Management in Medtronic, Boston, US on all Quality compliance management issues relating to the project .

6. "All in the attitude"

I have been working at Medtronic full-time

Pros

Positive outlook for the most part. Great products and team/colleagues

Cons

Profit focused for share holders

Advice to Management

Listen to employees and follow through

"Great Mission & Focus, but the local substance is lacking"

Current Employee - Management in Sydney
    Current Employee - Management in Sydney

Pros

Fortunate to have spent over a decade with Medtronic, I can honestly say that their mission, direction, and motivation are genuine. I acknowledge as with any company, that financial motives are a key factor in decision making, but I can honestly say that I have witnessed a substantial number of occasions where the patient, customer, and employee come before the financial impact of the situation. This in combination with the direction that our current CEO (Omar Ishrak) is steering us gives me genuine belief in the overarching goal of our company and allows me to sleep soundly at night.

Cons

On the other hand, between the CEO (and his team) and the employees that are working day-in-and-day-out with the patients exists a completely misaligned and borderline antagonistic component of corporate culture at it worst. I have witnessed far too many examples of corporate 'jockeying' and allowing personal career agendas to supersede good corporate stewardship in the local, Australian market. Now, I understand that it is admirable and more than acceptable to want to advance your career with any organization, but it should never be at the cost of the 'external focus' of the company; which happens to be one of the key-traits for the company. To that note, and as my final recommendation/review, I recommend approaching Medtronic ANZ with caution as the mission will carry us all, but the local politics will make the ride rather uncomfortable.

Advice to Management

To management (& H.R.), I understand how it can be difficult to keep abreast of everything that is happening when considering the finite amount of time we are given to complete the growing list of tasks. However, it can be deceiving (though efficient) to rely so heavily on the vertical structure that delivers what's happening in our company. Instead, this has allowed the leaders to be steered like horses dragging a wagon by the middle-layer of the company. I speak confidently on this, as I am a mid-level manager with views into the re-packaging of information that serves career goals over company goals. Instead, I would advise that like any system, checks and balances are required to create parallel communication pathways that serve to make sure that all layers, and groups of the company are heard. There are currently individuals in the company whom have shared with me that they are even afraid to voice their concerns with H.R. due to the belief that they will not be treated with professionalism instead of nepotism. So, I offer this last bit of advice to our management; you can be efficient with people or effective with people, but you can't be both.....which do you choose.

"Customer Support Representative"

Pros

Laid back environment. Lots of free coffees.

Cons

A lot of politics. Senior management tend to say many nice things but what the company do is different in reality.

9. "Great company to work for, very happy here"

Current Employee - Employee in Sydney
    Current Employee - Employee in Sydney

I have been working at Medtronic full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Reading through some the negative comments people have made on this site was a surprise for me, did they work for the same company? I have always found the culture is very people focussed both externally (patients and customers) and internally (employees). I find leaders to be approachable and down to earth but it's clear some leaders are better than others. I had a personal issue that effected me and I was supported well by my manager, HR and other senior people in my team. This is something that I will always remember and I know has happened with others. Very compassionate, fair, supportive and flexible.

Cons

No company is perfect and there are always things that could be better. The constant changing is unsettling and challenging to maintain momentum. Work/life balance can sometimes be compromised.

Advice to Management

Walk the talk - from what I've seen, some leaders don't. Hold each other accountable for driving a positive culture.

"Growing company, know the political game!"

Former Employee - Territory Manager in Sydney
    Former Employee - Territory Manager in Sydney

I worked at Medtronic full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Company growth and acquisitions are constantly occurring and good for a career change within the company.
    Overall nice people
    Salary is above average
    Substantial commission structure
    Health insurance is included for your whole family within salary package
    Subsidised Fitness/ gym membership

Cons

Make sure you understand the political landscape otherwise you will get brushed aside regardless of qualifications
    Steep targets