Partners in Performance Reviews

Updated 13 Jan 2021

4.6
Partners in Performance Managing Director Skipp Williamson
Skipp Williamson
Pros
  • "Also love the PIP INSEAD program(in 28 reviews)

• "After a long career in consulting and having worked with some great people doing great work I was disheartened when it ended up as a report on a shelf(in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • "Can be difficult to achieve a healthy work/life balance(in 21 reviews)

• "PiP handles it by hiring spaces once a month in cities with more than a few consultants(in 19 reviews)

Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
  1. "Great people, great exposure, a lot of travel"

Former Employee - Manager in Perth, Western Australia

I worked at Partners in Performance full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

PIP has a very selective recruitment process and employs people that are smart, practical and have good EQ. There is a big focus on personal development, people will easily give and accept feedback. The engagements are varied. You do not always get to work in the industry or discipline you prefer but you certainly get to learn a lot. Quality IP has been developed over the years and you will learn a lot of efficient tools in various fields: business improvement, procurement, construction etc The firm is growing and building new practices. That provides a number of opportunities to contribute in your areas of interest and build or leverage a given expertise. The firm is small enough that it is able to listen to specific needs of its employees and try to accomodate personnal constraints when possible. That is important to retain people in a high workload / high travel context (see cons).

Cons

Being based in WA, travel has been an issue as a lot of engagements are on the East Coast. There might be more flexibility now that Covid has stroke and clients have had to be flexible, but before I left PIP, Sunday flights were nearly systematic. Given the time difference and flight time, departure from home was around 14pm or 15pm, so obviously that is a big chunk of each weekend gone. The company is trying to push for a Friday working from home policy, but that only applies to longer engagements, and doesn’t quite make up for the weekend travel. There is limited geographical optimisation of staffing. People will also note the intense workload in the cons, but that is industry wide, and I have personally found it OK. Yes there are engagements with long hours but in three years I have probably only worked once on a weekend.

2. "Markeujy"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sydney

I have been working at Partners in Performance full-time for more than a year

Pros

Flexible work arrangements, ability to work from home

Cons

Working odd hours to collaborate with other teams in other regions can be draining at times

3. COVID-19

"It's great to work with clients to make a real difference"

Current Employee - Director in Melbourne

I have been working at Partners in Performance full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

After a long career in consulting and having worked with some great people doing great work I was disheartened when it ended up as a report on a shelf. I've learned new tricks at Partners in Performance - especially how to help clients to make real change - so when my kids ask me what I've done at work I can actually tell them what changed at my clients. We work very much with clients - which means they own and understand what needs to be done - and then we help them to make the transformation journey - and measure the results. We don't work in traditional consulting pyramids - instead it's more like a column - so both clients and junior people get lots of time with senior, experienced people. We also don't shut ourselves away in team rooms, continually driving spreadsheets and occasionally throwing wisdom out the door - instead we work directly with clients to help them discover the answer. Best of all we have a lot of impact - measurable value-add! I guess that's why we've continued to grow throughout COVID and have been actively in the market recruiting.

Cons

We don't put a great deal of emphasis on reports - so you will see PowerPoint presentations that are much prettier than ours, although beautifying presentations take time we'd rather be spending with clients. We mostly work side-by-side with clients so that means we spend time where the clients are - so that can mean a bit of travel

4. COVID-19

"Great for driving results"

Former Employee - Partner

I worked at Partners in Performance full-time

Pros

Cuts to the chase to drive bottom line benefits. The job enables you to understand how business really works and what matters.

Cons

Traveled all over the world but since Covid it is much better.

5. COVID-19

"Love it"

Current Employee - Consultant in Melbourne

I have been working at Partners in Performance full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Full of can-do people. The culture is very pragmatic - the consultants seem to love to get impact at their clients, it's not so much about the process (although that's important to have confidence in the result) or the blinding insight of the best recommendation. It's more about "did I make a difference"? The philosophy is about Unleashing Potential - how can I influence others to make the most of their role and their ability to solve problems in their business. For example I am working on a project implementing automations in a government department. I am managing a team of contract programmers and client people to improve processes. This is removing routine work from staff to enable the staff to do more worthwhile jobs (eg eliminate backlogs, serve the most needy clients, look more closely that their work is high quality). My clients love this; i spend my days project managing the delivery team, dealing with all the other stakeholders who have a say in our solutions, and working with the clients to change their behaviour and processes to get the results. Alot of this they can do themselves but having us there means they do it faster and to a greater level of detail and I see my role as rising above the internal processes to ensure potential is unleashed. I have been getting alot of training in all these areas in my job.

Cons

In COVID it's been tough to get attention of the senior team. Everyone is working remotely and it's not the same as when we were together in a project team setting. We have to work harder to keep the team spirit (we have a nightly team call which helps).

Continue reading
  6. "Great company culture"

4.0
    Former Employee - Recruitment Consultant

I worked at Partners in Performance full-time

Pros

Great culture, very friendly and approachable people right up to the Directors, opportunities to learn and grow

Cons

Can sometimes require long working hours for Consultants however to be expected with the industry

"Experience widely varies"

Former Employee - Senior Associate in Sydney
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Partners in Performance full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

- Generally smart colleagues - Plucky attitude - Focus on execution leads to a less theoretical style of consulting

Cons

- Director and Principal autonamy leads to a wide variation in expectations and styles - imagine changing your organisation every two to three months - No 360 reviews - Clients often sold things they could do themselves - There is an effort to train but it is ineffective - Admin support is hit or miss - Benchwork is often vague with no value add - Those hired direct from uni tend to rise faster than experienced hires

Continue reading

"If you can avoid working here, I would"

1.0
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sydney
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Partners in Performance full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

There are some really nice people who work there, who I will continue to stay in contact with.

Cons

Whilst I was there, I knew partners in performance wasn’t the greatest of employers, but the people I worked directly with were great and that clouded my judgement. Since I have left I have gained a new perspective on what I would consider a psychologically safe environment looks like. Where you feel safe to feel heard, to voice your opinion, and you feel secure. Interestingly I have heard the same from other former employees. I didn’t realise at the time how insecure I felt in my role having seen many colleagues walked but it would be a constant fear that I could be next despite fully meeting requirements and being generally liked (as were the colleagues who were walked). The common theme appeared of all the people I’ve seen walked, was that their line manager didn’t like them or felt threatened by them. Bullying is rife at the firm, at all levels, and it starts at the top and is common across all layers of leadership who emulate this behaviour. What exasperates this bullying issue is that there is no one employed who is qualified in dealing with these issues. It surprises me that a company that prides itself on academic excellence has a clear absence of qualifications or any familiarity with employment law, hence why such things like bullying continue, and staff getting dismissed without cause. The sheer fact is, if you have any issue you would normally go for support for, you have learnt to know there is little point, as they give you a bit of lip service but ultimately will side with the more senior person despite the kind of allegations you may be raising. This effectively means, if you want to keep your job, you stay quiet as there is no one you can actually talk to. This, as you can imagine, can be very stressful and harbours a really psychologically unsafe environment. Internal surveys are completed on a regular basis so that you can submit “anonymous” feedback and have your say on your experiences. I have brought up in these surveys, at every opportunity, that there have been some very serious public displays of bullying to myself and other colleagues. This feedback in the surveys goes directly to the directors. Apart from the acknowledgement of “we need to do something”, not once in my tenure has anything ever been done. There appears to be a serious lack of care at the top unless it affects the bottom line. I always had my doubts working there, but upon leaving it is so clear how toxic the company is. My advice to anyone seeking employment here is to proceed with caution. Complete your own research and connect with other members of the firm outside of the people you are spoon fed to you at the time of recruiting. And to reiterate an earlier Glassdoor review, do not believe all these “positive” reviews. Whilst I’m sure there are a handful of genuine ones, majority of these reviews are linked to current consultants receiving “firm building points” (ie their bonus). Having spoken to many former employees I can say that they all reiterate this view. It took me a few months of my new job to get my head around the fact that my boss and my colleagues are nice! At the time of writing, I understand times are tough and being picky about a job is a luxury, but if you accept a role with partners in performance, please go in with your eyes wide open as to the environment and role that you have been sold.

9. "Rewarding and intense"

Current Employee - Manager

I have been working at Partners in Performance full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

- Great people to work with a combination of smart, interesting and down to earth. - Lots of exposure to different industries and business situations with plenty of opportunity to grow in the firm. - Good social events with a yearly summer camp. monthly day in the office and smaller events with your team during engagements

Cons

- Work is on the client site and typically requires weekly travel (including flying in your own time e.g. on sunday nights or early morning) and time away from home during the week. On the flip side, this gives the opportunity to see places you wouldn't have otherwise. - At times can be long working hours.

10. COVID-19

"Doing, learning and experience more.... and appreciate the response to covid"

Current Employee - Consultant in Sydney

I have been working at Partners in Performance full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

A very bright bunch of people who are down to earth and fun to work with. Learn some very practical pragmatic approaches to drive value and performance.... like a stepping stone to management. a great response to covid... a tough time but appreciated

Cons

travel a lot - but not during covid!!

Viewing 1 - 10 of 168 English Reviews