Reynolds American Reviews

Ricardo Oberlander
  1. "Great Company"

Current Employee - Territory Manager in Muskegon, MI

I have been working at Reynolds American full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Great company culture Set your own calendar Coaching and learning always made available Competitive pay Masters Degree Aid Company Vehicle provided and allowed for personal use Yearly bonus 401k $1 for $1 match 16 weeks paid paternity leave for woman and men Expense account Work from home

Cons

Yearly Bonus is based on global business as well as domestic

August 7, 2020

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. We pride ourselves on offering a competitive benefits package to our employees so that they can live their best lives both inside and outside of work.

2. "Fortune 500"

Former Employee - Territory Manager in New York, NY

I worked at Reynolds American full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Excellent Benefits, competitive salary, empowerment

Cons

Do not have any cons

August 7, 2020

Thank you for taking the time to leave your feedback. We hope you found your time with us meaningful and that you were able to grow professionally as a result.

3. COVID-19

""YOU'RE ESSENTIAL""

2.0
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at Reynolds American full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Work life balance, Health insurance

Cons

Division Managers: If your DM doesnt like you or you don't fit in, you will have a really hard time getting noticed for hard work or anything extra. Also if your DM thinks COVID-19 is not that big of a deal, he will make up his own interpretations of Trade Marketing Communication (TMC) sent out from the company. A DM should ask his TM their feelings about returning and ways in which he or she can assist them. During the start of the COVID-19 outbreak we were able to work from home. Our numbers actual increased and we were able to get a lot done doing so. Now our company is saying "you're essential" but lets be honest we sell cigarettes... We announced that we go back to work 50% of the time and the other 50% is work from home (WFH). After 1 WEEK they announce we are going back to 100% because "you're essential". I feel like the company says we care about your well being but the actions are further from the truth right now. Our competitors, example: Phillip Morris, are still allowing employees to WFH but we are forcing retail visits in this current climate. They are not taking into account the employees that live in hot spot states. Many customers that enter stores do not wear masks and we are being exposed because they deem us "essential". Home Office announces TMs will go back to retail stores because you're essential while they all still WFH and if they go into the office they get temperature scanned. NEWS FLASH gas stations don't do that. I just feel we are ignoring the current climate and forcing retail visits because they are tired of TM working from home. COVID-19 is worse now then it was in March. I would understand more if our numbers were taking a dive I would understand but they were solid.

4. "Overall good"

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative

I have been working at Reynolds American full-time

Pros

Pay, easy job, several different accountabilities

Cons

Sometimes it can be overwhelming, but not often.

August 7, 2020

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We're happy to hear that your experience with us thus far has been a great one!

"Potential for Greatness"

Former Employee - Account Manager

I worked at Reynolds American full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Personal use of company car, internet/phone allowance, great entertainment at Vegas meeting every few years. There is some room for growth, but it's also 'corporate America' so you have to learn to play the game. It's not always what you know, and definitely more of who you know. You can work hard and your entire team knows you're great, but if your manager isn't pushing you for promotion, you'll never get it. But if you're good at being 'one of the guys' and fitting in, then you can definitely go far!

Cons

Heavily volatile industry with a lot of negative press and feedback from customers and consumers. RAI is always second (or third) to market, and it's tough to break into such competitive segments. They also lost a lot of credibility with their retailers over the last few product launches, making each new launch that much harder to sell in. Don't count on anyone to teach you how to do your job. They pretty much make up their mind about whether they think you can cut it within the first few interactions. And if they think you're a weak link, then you're on your own. But if they like you, they'll do everything they can to help make you look good. Again it's all about how you play the game and who you know. Pay is good as an entry level TM, but as a tenured employee or someone with a lengthy employment history prior to working here, salary is barely on par with competition. And bonuses are not based on your work, but on the company's performance as a whole, which you have very little control over.

August 7, 2020

Thank you for your honest review. We strive to provide our employees with an environment where each person feels heard and appreciated. We appreciate hearing the pros and cons of your experience with us as it helps us improve our processes and make the company an even better place to work.

6. "Good"

4.0
    Current Employee - Intern - Hourly in Winston-Salem, NC

I have been working at Reynolds American full-time for less than a year

Pros

Focused on development of employees

Cons

It is a tobacco company

July 13, 2020

Thank you for taking the time to leave your feedback. Each year, we're excited to welcome our class of interns and look forward to the innovative ideas and contributions brought forth by interns. We're excited that you're on our team this summer and hope that you continue to make the most of your time with us!

7. "Great Company to Work For"

Current Employee - Senior Division Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Reynolds American full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Best thing is the family work culture where everyone helps support and develop each other and all are driving towards the same company goals. You are you own boss for the most part in Trade Marketing- you're given the goals and have the ability to drive and run your own business unit. I always thought of all my positions as like running a sole Proprietorship (your Org Unit), just operating it inside the bigger company guidelines. Especially for those not sure exactly what they want to do coming out of college (like I was), it's provided a career of challenges, professional development and training. The opportunities are endless if you have the talent and passion to excel and challenge yourself, promotes from within almost always. Work life balance is all up to you to plan and organize yourself well. Solid comp package and benefits plus a company vehicle.

Cons

Public perception that the industry is over, actually it's a very predictable business model that's still very profitable. Learning how to not let all the negative industry news, attacks or others opinions about the business bother you. It actually bonds the folks here closer as a family I feel.

July 13, 2020

Thank you for the review! When you join Reynolds, you join a team of remarkable people. It's great to hear that throughout your time with the organization you've been able to bond with colleagues and truly benefit from the family-like culture. We are proud to have a culture where people can aspire to perform at the highest level while having the resources and opportunities to support their success. Keep up the great work!

"Good entry level position for recent college grads to get sales experience"

Former Employee - Territory Manager

I worked at Reynolds American full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The benefits that they offer are very good (Health, Dental, Vision, Life, 401K match up to 6%, company car with fuel covered for only $175/month). Additionally, they do have a solid training program to help set you up for success in your territory. Also, you will get experience as it relates to getting comfortable with presenting to customers and consumers.

Cons

Since BAT took over the company a few years ago, the culture seemed to change. When I first started with the company, territory managers were truly empowered to own their assignment, and felt valued by upper management. Nowadays, there isn't as much flexibility to the position. Everything is decided about how you're going to perform your job from upper management ( the amount of calls you'll be expected to make per day, which stores should be visited more than 1 time per month, and CE goals have been adjusted to where they're now quarterly instead of annual goals). If you happen to have a manger who micromanages on top of the company now going in this direction, it makes life miserable for territory managers who were hired into a completely different culture. Another factor that is negatively influencing morale among the territory managers is that vacant assignments are taking so much longer to be filled by the company. This is a result of a change a couple of years ago, since BAT took over, where they look to fill positions locally so that they can save themselves some money by not paying to relocate a new hire into that territory. Great for the company, but terrible for the territory managers in the division of that vacant territory who have to all help cover it for however many months it takes them to find a local person to hire. This extra work comes in addition to covering their own assignment too, and there isn't even a temporary pay increase to account for this increased workload while the company takes their time hiring someone to save themselves some money. With this local based hiring occurring now, you would think that would mean that you could advance with the company locally for those interested in doing so. That is not how it works though, you have to have a willingness to relocate to other areas of the country to even by considered for promotion above the territory manager level. As a result, many talented people are not even eligible for promotion, and people who are less prepared for the promotion get promoted instead.

July 13, 2020

Your honest review is appreciated. Thank you for taking the time to leave your feedback. We understand that not everyone wants to relocate to advance their careers. We feel it is best for the organization as a whole and those individuals who want to advance their careers to provide a diverse experience that is achieved only through experiencing different marketplaces. Our recruiters work diligently to seek out talent that not only has the skillset required of Territory Managers, but individuals who will be a great cultural fit. Thank you for your time with Reynolds. We hope that you found your time with us meaningful.

9. "Great Place to Work. No Room for Advancement if Not Willing to Move"

Former Employee - Territory Manager in Boston, MA

I worked at Reynolds American full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

I spent 12 years with the company & i honestly enjoyed my time immensely. The starting pay is low but after a few years your salary becomes more reasonable. Excellent benefits & a company car. The company has extensive training & mold employees well. The people who work here are great & it is a family atmosphere. A very fun place to work. Its a great place for a recent college graduate to start a career. Career growth if you are willing to move several times.

Cons

There is no room for growth if you are not willing to move across the United States. Talented employees stay in the same role forever even when everybody in the region knows their talent because they cant move. Lately home office seems to be disorganized & communication is confusing & then changed a week after

June 19, 2020

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review and for your 10+ years with the company. We're glad to hear that you enjoyed your time with us.

10. "Phenomenale Company to Work For"

Current Employee - Territory Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Reynolds American full-time for more than a year

Pros

Benefits are amazing, company vehicle, flexible work schedule.

Cons

Constant change, company is forever advancing so it may not be a good suit for someone who is looking for consistency.

June 19, 2020

We appreciate you taking the time to leave a review. We believe our employees are phenomenal! The tobacco industry is transforming, which means we're in the midst of change, and while this does pose challenges, it's an exciting time for us as a company.

Found 948 reviews