THG Reviews

Updated 9 Jul 2020

THG CEO Matthew Moulding (no image)
Matthew Moulding
Pros
  • "Every day is fast paced but it allows you to learn and grow at a rapid rate(in 30 reviews)

• "THG is great place to work, positive working environment, lots of trust put in to you, which makes you excel at your role(in 28 reviews)

Cons
  • "Unnecessarily long working hours(in 43 reviews)

• "Sometimes long hours and also unsociable hours(in 41 reviews)

1. "good"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Manchester, England

I have been working at THG full-time for more than a year

Pros

good, learning, fast, more work

Cons

managment, culture, recognisation, time, bonus

2. "Digital Marketing executive"

Current Employee - Marketing Specialist in Manchester, England

I have been working at THG full-time for more than a year

Pros

good salary and staff discount

Cons

fast paced, too target driven

3. "Great Job"

Current Employee - Customer Service Advisor in Northwich, England

I have been working at THG full-time for more than a year

Pros

easy shift rotation workaround other commitments banter within the teams Salary is good for what you do

Cons

Can be repetitive but that's the job should be a pay difference between advisors and what they can achieve

4. "Great Place to Work"

Current Employee - E-commerce Executive in Manchester, England

I have been working at THG full-time

Pros

Really innovative uses of technology Lots of options for progression available Strong groups of like minded individuals

Cons

Office far from Town Centre

"The best place to work"

Current Employee - Customer Service Advisor in Northwich, England

I have been working at THG full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great atmosphere, many opportunities to progress and you can improve and learn every day.

Cons

Only issue is that it is 2 much stats driven

Continue reading
  6. "good learning environment"

4.0
    Current Employee - Graduate Software Engineer in Manchester City Centre, England

I have been working at THG full-time for less than a year

Pros

lots of opportunities to learn

Cons

could be quite busy sometimes

"Fast pace company at the expense of employees’ mental health"

2.0
    Former Employee - User Experience Designer

I worked at THG full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The people. I start with this as I realised very quickly after I joined THG that the people are the best thing it has to offer. There are lots of very young, approachable, smart and ambitious people in any division or department. It’s very easy to connect with people, mainly over coffee, friendly or geeky chats and our mutual dislike for the higher-ups and their lunatic decisions announced over fluffy and mostly useless emails. I must say I developed very strong friendships with some, we share common interests and we bonded especially due to our common but unfulfilled wish for an ethical working environment. The culture of the UX team is alright, I appreciated their willingness to create moments of escape from the mundane corporate culture, with monthly team lunches and other activities. However, towards the end of my time at THG the team had grown considerably and some of the activities weren’t scaled appropriately. The culture started to seem more like forced fun. Diversity of projects to work on. Shortly after I started as a placement student I got hit with loads of projects to handle. After just over 2 years and a half I had a lot of experience from working on so many different products, from research to the ecom platform and their internal systems. It was great to look back and realise just how much I evolved and how grateful I was to have tried everything in order to understand what I truly enjoyed doing given my young age. It was also great to have so much access and freedom over my own workload. The coffee (only the one in MediaCity). There are no words to describe it. It was just great.

Cons

A quick note before listing the "cons", my managers tried to compensate for these, great people indeed, but there's a limit to what they can do to mitigate them and sometimes it even was outside of their control. Chaos: structure, ratings, projects. I’ll start with the structure (internal hierarchy), which was changing every 6 months, for no particular reason. At some point, it was very clear that positions were made up for people to be promoted, not for introducing a competent layer of leadership. It was clear because those positions were never advertised, not even internally. People were demoted on a whim if they were falling out of a director’s grace. The meritocracy is not real, the better you fake the enthusiasm, the more you’ll succeed. The ratings and performance evaluations are a complete gamble. If the manager likes you, you get a 4, if he doesn’t like you, or if you don’t matter, you get a 2 or even a 1. These are adjusted at the HR level. Nobody cares to explain why or what to do to perform better. The individual has no contribution over their objectives, people get told to deliver 2-3 projects for the quarter and that’s it. There’s no discussion about what they actually WANT to do and what they want to develop. There’s no career guidance, you need to figure it out yourself, read on your own and make up your own mind about how to progress and be successful as an individual contributor. However, being successful at THG is different. All you have to do is deliver 3-4 projects in a quarter (going “above and beyond” from those 2-3), burnout and have no social life. Easy! The bonus scheme is adjusted every time, before handing out the bonuses, to make it even harder for people to get one because every 6 months they realise they give out too many… At the end of the day, a normal contributor wouldn’t get recognition from the UX team at the end of a project. There was just a rush to move to the next one. One thing to understand at THG is that every project is a priority and every project involves a senior stakeholder that needs to be happy regardless of what (little) customer insights we had. Everything is urgent, everything should’ve been done/presented/built yesterday. It happened to me to be assigned to 3 different projects in the course of a quarter, working with 3 different dev teams, for 3 different stakeholders. Another common thing is dismissing projects on a whim OR swapping projects over the quarter. The newly introduced ones usually had unrealistic deadlines and expectations. Lack of investment in tools, training and other resources. Considering it is a company bragging about acquisitions and how much profit they made over Black Friday, it blew my mind when it took 8 months to obtain sign off for buying licenses for a design tool! The leadership was trying to give us the bare minimum to get our work done! We couldn’t push for new tools to be more efficient if that would’ve meant an increase in the cost for the company. Not that the team was too eager to adopt new tools and processes anyway… they were shutting down immediately anybody who was coming up with new ideas for ways of working and ignoring anything that would’ve asked for their effort to learn something new. I was bringing in my own stationery, pens, sticky notes, etc. just because it was so much pain to get them bought by the company. At some point, my manager handed me the money himself because he knew it would’ve been very difficult for me to claim the money on some office equipment. There is no system to go through, everything needs thorough justification, regardless of how big or small the amount is! Paid training was lacking completely, we were paying for conferences, UX talks and courses ourselves. This was definitely reflecting the lack of interest in our development as designers. They couldn’t see how the company would benefit from investing in us, we weren’t profitable if we were spending time learning. The UX was seen (during my time there, at least) as making things pretty. Any other paid resources (reports, market research, etc.) were definitely something out of reach. People being promoted without relevant experience. In general, across the company, it’s not unusual to see a grad transition to be the manager of a team 6 months after they started with the company. There’s no mentorship, nobody to learn proper managing techniques from, nobody in charge of the development of the people reporting into them (not that there is any time for personal development anyway, after being hammered to deliver 3 projects in a quarter). They are a fast pace company at the expense of employees’ mental health (which they claim to care about, but don’t count on that!).

8. "You grow with THG"

Current Employee - Customer Service Manager in Northwich, England

I have been working at THG full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Colleagues Atmosphere Benefits Progression Staff Investment

Cons

Sometimes long hours and also unsociable hours

"Okay"

2.0
    Former Employee - Customer Service Agent

I worked at THG part-time

Pros

Very easy job that requires basic computer skills

Cons

job is very dull and angry customers call in very frequently

"Ethics are not valued."

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at THG full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great people! Decent pay and bonus (varies per performance). Fairly young people run this company, but that makes it very innovative! Wonderful place to work as your input actually matters.

Cons

Slow on raises. Ethics are not valued.

Found 490 reviews