Target Reviews | Glassdoor.com.au

Brian Cornell
6,882 Ratings

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "Work Life Balance (Weekends & minimum 10 hours daily on your feet)" (in 1622 reviews)

• "The company is going through some changes in the clothing part of the store that were constantly changing without team members being informed quickly" (in 1720 reviews)

1. "Assistant"

I have been working at Target part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Not super good but not a bad place to work either

Cons

Nothing bad really, just a 9-5 type of job

2. "Okay...."

I worked at Target part-time

Pros

Made lots of new friends
    Fun and laid back work environment

Cons

No real structure
    Contracted hours get changed often
    Promised lots of hours but then not having enough sales to be able deliver to the staff member

3. "Terible."

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Melbourne
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Melbourne

I worked at Target part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Staff discount was 5%. (It was terrible).

Cons

No good things.
    The most disorganised company in all of Australia. To managers reading this take a few tips.
    I am a former employee of Target Pty Ltd. I was hired in May, 2018 and resigned in October, 2018 for a multitude of reasons.
    From the moment I started my employment I quickly recognised a lot of inefficiencies and shortcomings of the company. They are as follows:

First of all, no proper training given to new employees (except in the instance of when you are place in assisted checkouts). New employees are supposed to learn on the go which makes it very challenging given the size of store, variety of products and ambiguous nature that comes with starting at a new workplace. Furthermore, existing employees were buddied up with new employees to 'teach them'. The problem I found was that existing employees were also unaware of formal procedures and processes; a great analogy of this would be "the blind leading the blind" in that wrong information was being passed on to a fresh batch of employees. It adds to the problem, it does not fix it.
    Second, the mangers fail at their jobs of managing and leading their employees. They do not know how to properly allocate their resources (time, attention, budgets and employees) to complete tasks in the most efficient and effective way. A clear example of this is having as little as 5 people on the shop floor dealing with customer service and enquiries and looking after multiple departments while, at the same time, there are 8 people at the back in receiving, 4 of which are splitting and unboxing 8 pallets in 5 hours! A single pallet can be done in 15 - 20 minutes depending on the contents that are stacked on it. Clearly a poor job of asset allocation.
    A continuation of my second point; the managers would often eliminate the shifts of workers, in particular the older workforce would receive minimal hours (I myself got as little as 10-12 hours a week which is not sustainable enough) in favour of the young workers; under 18s who received $13 - $15 an hour to cut back on costs. It plummeted motivation and organisational advocacy. Workers would make the effort to volunteer to work extra shifts as managers would send out emails asking for more staff needed only to find out last minute that shifts have been cancelled due to 'budget restraints'. The inconvenience this placed on a lot of employees who went out of their way to make time and cancel their plans for the sake of the organisation was appalling.
    Third, the way managers would treat employees, in particular, the younger workforce, was borderline bully-ing. Managers did not speak to the younger workers as equal co-workers or co-workers in general. Instead they treated them like kids.
    Fourth. There was no open door policy. Employees were afraid or tired of trying to talk to the managers with regards to any of their concerns. A clear example of this is the resignation of 9 employees within 1 week. A high turnover of staff generally means that there is something wrong with the immediate working environment.
    Fifth. TOO MANY CHANGES. In the span of my employment (May - October, 2018) 2 store managers had come and gone with the 3rd one leaving 4 weeks after I resigned. The ambiguous nature present within the company due to the lack of formal policies and procedures sticking meant that several uniform changes were also made which was maddening.
    Lastly, my sixth point. There exists a very obvious workplace grapevine where a lot of people's opinions and dislike and gossip is circulated. The immaturity of the employees that worked there made me not want to interact with any of my team members. Managers also openly expressed their dislike or frustration of certain employees and were known to purposefully reduce their hours of work.

Overall, the store does not reflect the entirety of the company, however, HR did nothing to rectify situations which speaks volumes. The horror I witnessed was just unbearable for me to stay as an employee.

Disclaimer: This is my personal experience with Target and may not constitute the reality of the organisation as a whole. My experience with the store that I worked at was terrible and unbiased. I have worked in the retail environment since I was 16 and I have experience better days at other employers. Finally, I do not wish to deter anyone from applying at Target in the future.

Advice to Management

Get better managers and independently review each store nation wide.

4. "Not challenged. Always under staffed."

Former Employee - Customer Service in Salisbury, South Australia
    Former Employee - Customer Service in Salisbury, South Australia

I worked at Target part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Plenty of departments for different types of work.

Cons

Lots of work to do, very little staff. Constantly dealing with aggressive customers tired of waiting .

Advice to Management

In my time there I had a mixture of good and bad managers. The good, got their hands dirty and worked with us.

5. "Good not great"

I worked at Target part-time

Pros

Good discounts
    great working environment
    Friendly co-workers

Cons

Management can be harsh, they basically watch you 24/7

Advice to Management

Be more friendly

6. "Great first job!"

Former Employee - Casual Employee in Portland, Victoria
    Former Employee - Casual Employee in Portland, Victoria

I worked at Target part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great first job! A lot of basic skills learnt that are kept for life: customer service, working with money, stocking shelves etc

Cons

Not much of a ladder to climb, wouldn't stay there beyond working part time while at highschool

7. "The employees are the best part"

I worked at Target part-time

Pros

The other employees made the job fun
    Flexible with holidays
    Lots of staff

Cons

The managers working in big stores know they don't have to lift a finger
    Favouritism and bullying
    Hiding behind drinks fridge's to watch staff to make sure they're doing their job
    Rude if you're sick

8. "part-time work at Target in the toys department"

I worked at Target part-time

Pros

Flexible work environment and a good training program.

Cons

Staff discount could be higher

9. "Not too bad"

Pros

Discount discount discount discount discount

Cons

No growth for a career

10. "Sales Assistant"

Former Employee - Casual Employee in Canberra
    Former Employee - Casual Employee in Canberra

I worked at Target part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Some good employees
    - Flexible hours for students

Cons

- Biased managers
    - Availability disregarded
    - Huge amounts of staff so it i hard to avoid workplace drama

Advice to Management

Be less biased with your staff and actually divide the work evenly.