Goldman Sachs Interview Questions | Glassdoor.com.au

Interviews at Goldman Sachs

5,083 Interview Reviews

3.1

Comptroller Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ months. I interviewed at Goldman Sachs (Salt Lake City, UT (US)) in October 2013.

Interview

Applied online through school recommendations, emailed me about a phone interview. Had a phone interview, was invited to SLC. Mostly behavior questions. Two separate interviews each with two men. They definitely play the good cop bad cop at super day. One seemed annoyed and did not pay any attention and seemed distracted the whole time, while the other was involved and said things after each question "wow that sounds really interesting, sounds like you made a good decision in that scenario". Overall the interview was really weird, and I left not wanting the job. Applied to other jobs and accepted an offer before they got back to me. Applied in Sept, went to SLC to interview in Oct, and just recently heard back, middle of March. They also did not pay me back for expenses until FEB! Whole situation weird, and I found the really delayed check, and reply very unprofessional. SLC was great though. I also heard they offer below 50, so keep in mind before getting your heart set on Goldman.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Goldman Sachs.

Interview

Multiple group interviews with 2-3 associates. They then will go back and compare notes to determine if you are a good candidate. They are also looking to see if you are a person that they want to work with.

Interview Questions

• How can you add value, to Goldman? Why GS?   2 Answers

Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT (US)

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Goldman Sachs (Salt Lake City, UT (US)) in December 2011.

Interview

Recieved a phone call from an experienced recruiter who asked questions regarding my past experience. After a back and forth he informed me I was best suited for a leadership or managment position that they currently do not have an opening.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Goldman Sachs (New York, NY (US)) in February 2012.

Interview

very very very hard and not that interesting of a process. Didnt actually want to work there by the end of the interview process. Would have rather ripped my throat out than work for the guys that were interviewing me. Overall i would say apply somewhere else. Just not worth it.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Goldman Sachs (New York, NY (US)) in February 2011.

Interview

This was for their private wealth management division:
    Did two phone interviews on two separate occasions with more recent hires (both at associate level) with similar formats, but clearly different styles based on the personality of the interviewer.

First interviewer - Around 50% background questions and 50% brainteaser types. Did reasonably well, but got hung up on the last brainteaser that I had to be guided through. Generally friendly and answered lots of my questions about the position/department. Good enough to get me to the second round...

Second interviewer - Starts by asking about some points about my educational background and asks for elaboration. I've been asked about it in many past interviews, so talked through it quite smoothly, but he clearly didn't understand the subject at all (Monte Carlo acceleration techniques). He promptly switches the topic and start throwing math brainteasers at me one after another until I start tripping up a bit and he says "come on, time's ticking", instead of offering any hints to move the process along. Afterwards, he just says the "we'll be in touch" and hangs up. One of the rudest interviewers I've ever spoken with.

Interview Questions

• Given N noodles in a bowl and randomly attaching ends. What is the expected number of loops you will have in the end?   9 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Goldman Sachs (New York, NY (US)) in January 2011.

Interview

Very polite and smart interviewer. Basic probability questions. OK if you have studied the popular quant interview books. Interviewer helps if you get stuck. The interviewer started with an introduction to himself, the company and the particular division he worked in. After this, asked for any questions that I had followed by two technical questions.

Interview Questions

• Do you have any questions for me?   1 Answer

Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY (US)

Application

The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Goldman Sachs (New York, NY (US)) in May 2008.

Interview

About 5-6 total interviews, one of them on the phone, and the rest of them in person, meeting a couple of people at a time. Standard probability (Bayesian trees) and stats (moments and distributions) questions first. Some programming (Matlab basics). Then lots of finance (duration, convexity, CAPM) and econ (inflation/deflation). Few brain teasers.

Interview Questions

• You have a zero-coupon and a par bond. Which of them will have a higher duration?   5 Answers

Negotiation

Did not negotiate. Standard offer.

Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL (US)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Goldman Sachs (Chicago, IL (US)) in July 2010.

Interview

Had my first phone interview with a VP a couple of weeks ago. The interview was relatively straightforward, a lot of whys and what's from the resume. Couple of days after the phone screen , i was asked for another set of interviews (four). Haven't heard back ever since. It's been 2 weeks now.

Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY (US)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at Goldman Sachs (New York, NY (US)) in May 2010.

Interview

Three phone interviews, then 23 (yes, not a typo) in face interviews with 4 different divisions. Got three offers. Overall, if you can stay alert and be pleasant through the whole process, you'll get the job. Everyone was very nice, and I definitely met much more malignant people at other firms.

Interview Questions

• see mark joshi's quant interview book - *literally* five questions I had were *verbatim* taken from there   1 Answer

Negotiation

Make sure you already have other offers. Goldman will match/beat any offer you have, so it's best to already have attractive offers going in.

Associate Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Goldman Sachs.

Interview

Very long process. Takes a while to get through all rounds.

Interview Questions

• What is something no one knows about you.   1 Answer

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.