Google Product Manager Interview Questions | Glassdoor.com.au

Google Product Manager Interview Questions

Interviews at Google

3.4

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA (US)

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Google (Mountain View, CA (US)).

Interview

Recruiter from google contacted me via LinkedIn. After first screening round she organized an interview with hiring manager. That interview call was for 45 minutes. Interview process was one of the best but Google needs to find a better person who can interview well. If google is expecting interviewee should be in the quite place so interviewee is expecting the same from the interviewer. That google employee was not professional at all, he brings his son in the process. Constant disturbance was going on and he was into his son questions. Mr. Google employee, you shouldn’t have to come with your personal problem in the interview, you are playing with someone’s dream. I am very disappointed with that person. How company like google does this?

Interview Questions

• Questions are on product design and strategy   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Google

Product Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Google in June 2020.

Interview

I received an email from Google approximately 1 week after I submitted my resume. The recruiter scheduled a phone interview for me two weeks out with confirmations. The morning of the interview, the recruiter reached out to wish me good luck, and to contact him immediately following the interview. The interviewer never showed up. I immediately connected my recruiter 15 minutes after the start time with no response. After an hour went by, I connected my recruiter again - no response. The recruiter did not get back to me until the next morning apologizing for his late reply - never apologized or provided an explanation for the no-show. I was rescheduled for later that week. The interviewer did show up this time; however, was very dry. There were no formal introductions, and I was not given an opportunity to provide any information relating to my professional experience. The interviewer went straight into his 4 questions and it was a robotic like experience (which is ironic because some of his questions were based on robots). He kept saying, 'interesting' after each of my answers, and I felt defeated and didn't give much more effort. His approach and the overall experience made me feel like they did not value my time or take my application seriously. As a product manager, user experience is important, and this entire experience has demonstrated to me that Google does not value their candidate experience during the application process.

Interview Questions

• 1. Pick an App on your phone and explain what you like/do not like about it.   1 Answer
    • 2. Pretend Google Next wants to acquire iRobot. What do you look for/how do you position.   Answer Question
    • 3. You have to design a robot with no screen. What is it, and how will it be designed?   1 Answer
    • 4. An airport closed down for a day due to inclement weather. How long does it take to get caught up?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Google (Mountain View, CA (US)) in May 2020.

Interview

Google describes their process as a series of questions designed to "focus on your general product and strategic insights coupled with your technical and analytical ability." They will send you a lot of links to reading material and youtube videos on how to prep for your interview. (see the bullet list below). In my case, this only helped to sabotage the entire conversation. I ended spending too much time focusing on describing my thought processes (thinking this is what the interviewer would want to hear) rather than my own ideas about a way Google could make money with my proposed solution, and how I personally operate as a Product Manager.

The bottom line is that if you are a kid out of college that has never interviewed anywhere before, then Google's interview tips will be useful to you. In my case, the interviewer seemed immediately uninterested when I tried to structure my answers in the "Google way". And if I asked a clarifying question, it seemed as if he thought I didn't understand what he was asking. And instead of clarifying, he would alter the question. Some of this could have just been his personality as well. Not everyone is a good interviewer.

Interview guidelines + (my tips)
    1. brainstorm big, give some deep insights about the industry or trend (a typical question will be an app you use, and what you would do to improve it, what it would take to realize it from a technical standpoint, and how would you measure it's success)
    2. ask clarifying questions (only if you need clarification, don't do it just to show them you've watched their interview prep videos)
    3. speak in terms of accomplished X by doing Y which led to Z. (i wasn't asked any detailed questions about my background)
    4. walk though your thought processes & methodology (if you know what you're talking about, your thought processes & methodology should be obvious to someone who also knows what you're talking about)
    5. mention the tradeoffs - caveat your answer and directly addressing potential concerns the interviewer may have with your answer. (again, only if asked)
    6. Improve your answers. expect follow up questions, and improve your answers. (ditto)

Interview Questions

• My initial phone interview did not follow the process that Google likes to publicize. I was asked a series of questions around the same hypothetical of "what would you do to improve your favorite app?"   3 Answers

Product Manager Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6+ months. I interviewed at Google in April 2020.

Interview

The interviewer was direct and thorough. While many complain of Google's interview process I experienced this first interview as an opportunity to show of PM skills and thinking. They put emphasis on YOU identifying what kind of answer they are looking for (design, metrics, strategy) so listen closely and ask follow ups.

Interview Questions

• What is an area where Google is under invested?   2 Answers

Product Manager Interview

Interview

Went through a product manager internship for the summer out of an MBA program. The usual, 4 interviews about products I liked and my background. Nothing surprising and what I expected from it

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a product you love   2 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Google (Mountain View, CA (US)) in March 2020.

Interview

TLDR; Took too long to set up the meeting. Felt like HR is overloaded and impersonal. A rejection phone call from HR unfairly raised my hopes.

No genuine touch in the hiring experience. Feels like they just want to scale hiring to go through as many applicants as possible. I felt like such a cog in the machine.

-----

No HR phone screen. Straight to a 45 minute interview with a 7 year Google veteran.

HR sent me a "prep email" with lots of preparation content. Quantity was good but the quality was bad. It was poorly organized, hard to understand, and had too much fluff — even in their recruiting YouTube video.

It looks like the email was compiled over years as an FAQ to deflect HR questions rather than a real study guide. It would have been more relevant to offer old practice questions and old practice answers.

The PM question was good. Interesting and fun. More unique than Lyft's "design Lyft for commuters". The interviewer was also friendlier than Lyft's brusque NYC attitude. But I thought it was a bad idea to have a 7-year company veteran interview. It felt like they were hiring for last year’s needs and last year’s way of thinking. Someone who’s newer to the company would have been better.

Worst part was taking a long time to hear back (over 3 weeks). They must rule by committee over there. Then the HR person wanted to call me. Missed two scheduled meetings and not responsive over email. Finally she called me just to communicate a rejection.

Google's practice of having a "let down" phone call is unfair. It’s worse than a standard rejection email. They RAISE my hopes just to HIT THEM DOWN. At the very least they could offer some feedback, even if very generic. Are they trying to “not be evil”? They’re having the opposite effect. Raising my hopes to put them down IS EVIL.

Sounds like they just do this rejection call to keep positive word-of-mouth alive. To keep me from posting something like this on Glassdoor. Oops. Looks like I already hit the submit button.

Interview Questions

• Design an app for an amusement park   2 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA (US)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Google (Mountain View, CA (US)).

Interview

The interview involved a phone screen with a PM, and then an onsite round consisting of multiple interviews over the course of a full day in Mountain View. The onsite interview was a mix of different things, while each onsite focused on 1 or 2 questions specifically. There was a technical interview, and then several with PMs of varying levels. Overall, the questions were fun problems to think through and solve. I actually had fun in the process. I declined only because I decided to go with another offer. The interviewers were all really friendly and helpful.

Interview Questions

• Most everything I was asked is available publicly. No surprises here. Google sends out an interview prep guide (what to expect). Read it well.   2 Answers

Product Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Google (Mountain View, CA (US)) in February 2020.

Interview

Phone interview for a PM position. The interview is for 45 mins. with only 3 questions. Introduce yourself and then product design then an estimate question. Once the interview is successful, you may get a second interview, or you go directly to on site interview.

Interview Questions

• How would you design a washing machine for google? and then estimate how many units you are going to sell?   1 Answer

Product Manager Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Google.

Interview

Confusing, disappointing, and mostly a waste of time. I remember thinking "I wonder if this is how a cow feels getting pushed through a slaughterhouse." The job description was vague enough to get me to apply, along with the encouragement of the recruiter, but clearly there was a significant mismatch between the actual position versus my background. This was not apparent until I started the phone interviews. The phone interview was awkward and the person interviewing was rude and made it apparent I was wasting his time. Wish I had known what I was getting myself into.

Interview Questions

• If you were tasked with creating a new product relevant to Google's existing product line that targeted at people using public transit, what would you do?   2 Answers

Product Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dublin, CA (US)

Interview

This review may seems salty (it is), but the fact is because the company is Google, you end up being asked super high-level questions that are supposed to be special and unique that in reality, do not really represent or measure one’s ability to do well in a job. My interviewer (over the phone), who was 10 min late btw to our 30 min interview, basically asked me questions about a) what will you do if you are Google CEO (suppose to measure your strategic thinking), b) how would you figure out the total number of linear miles on Google Map (supposed to measure your quantitative skill), c)what Gmail feature will you build for senior citizen users (this one is ok) d) explain internet search to a 6 year old in 60s. During the interview, I was repeatedly interrupted when I try to answer the “how” would I approach the answer, as he was only interested in the “what”, as if these vague questions do not need any additional clarifications or assumptions. If this is how solving product problems at Google look like, I am sorry but yes I certainly do not quality (despite my 10+ years of product management moving needles for different companies.).

Interview Questions

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.