Rio Tinto Interview Questions | Glassdoor.com.au

Updated 10 Oct 2018

2.9

1. Featured Interview

Principal Advisor Interview

Anonymous Employee in Singapore (Singapore)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Rio Tinto (Singapore (Singapore)) in December 2015.

Interview

1. Screen call with HR 2. Face to face with hiring manager, HR rep and hiring manager peer or team member 3. Interview with with the hiring manager's manager 4. Criminal background and credit check 5. Medical Assessment (steps 4 & 5 were post offer)

Interview Questions

• Rio Tinto use the STAR interview technique and all questions were specific to the job description and motivations. They asked about health and safety so be prepared with an example if you haven't worked in an organisation with the health and safety culture.   Answer Question

Continuous Improvement Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Robards, KY (US)

Application

The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Rio Tinto (Robards, KY (US)) in February 2012.

Interview

First interview is on-site. With mid level managers. Typical behavior based questions. Easy interview. Second interview is on-site with members of plant leadership team. They asked stupid questions in terms of "what if". They looked for problem solving capabilities but I think got stuck on too many details on there end. HR manager was asked what she liked about the company and said benefits - if that is one of the only things you can mention and you can not mention the people as the HR manager, you got problems. Seemed to me the plant manager ruled by fear and read into this as a guy who was the maintenance manager did not have any formal education - came from the floor. Plant manager also mentioned the culture was to micro manage the complainers and treat the top performers well. Seems like you got a lot of complainers that need to be let go, but you are too afraid to do that. I didn't think it was good fit for my personal work style.

Interview Questions

I would never work for a stuck up plant manager - regardless of the attractive pay. If they treat someone like me the way they did during an interview, I'd hate to see how they treat their employees.

Change Management Specialist Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Rio Tinto in April 2015.

Interview

Interview was poorly organized with no follow-up. Interview was a phone-screen with 2 people. No feedback was given once the interview was completed. Very few questions were asked regarding overall experience and how it would contribute to making the candidate successful for the job itself.

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Rio Tinto (Denver, CO (US)) in May 2009.

Interview

Very easy interview. Just couple phone call interviews based behavioral simple questions, then 1:1 interviews with teammates which is very easy. They have a list of questions about experience and I got asked same question three times.

Talent Acquisition Interview

Application

I applied through other source. I interviewed at Rio Tinto.

Interview

I was contacted by someone in the recruiting department from Indeed. At first, I received an e-mail just to confirm my interest in the company and the position. About a week later, I got a phone call from a company representative from Australia (I live in the US).

She was a lovely person and the following week I was contacted by another HR rep from the US and we had a great conversion about my background, my next career goals.. etc... Problem was, a week went by and I hadn't heard anything. I reached out via e-mail and was told that the management team was traveling and we were going to "schedule the final interview" when they returned. I've never heard back from them. It's really unprofessional to string people along like that. Especially since I'm not the one who applied for this job in the first place.

Interview Questions

• What do you know about our industry?
      How many requisitions have you had to fill at once?
      Tell me about a challenging hiring manager?   Answer Question

Technical Services Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT (US)

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Rio Tinto (Salt Lake City, UT (US)) in July 2012.

Interview

I was interviewed by a group of 4 people that included the head of the department, the individual I would be working for, and 2 who would be co-workers. The reason for the large group was that the head of the department and the 2 co-workers were from outside of my country of residence. The interview was somewhat spontaneous as they were looking at the possibility of expanding their groups services to my country of residence and had heard of my experience as a consultant in that field. They asked a series of questions about my experience and flexibility of working with another software than the one I was familiar with. I believe that everyone involved had a lot of fun as the whole process was more exploratory than inquiry. In the end they decided not to expand their group for reasons that were unrelated to me. On the positive I was able to continue to do additional projects later on as a consultant.

Interview Questions

• Explain your experience with one of the past projects you did for us as a consultant.   Answer Question

Graduate Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT (US)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ weeks. I interviewed at Rio Tinto (Salt Lake City, UT (US)) in February 2013.

Interview

1. Received an invitation for interview via HireVue, which is an online platform where you will have record yourself answering questions. Standard interview questions. 16 in total, 3 min each.
    2. Three days later, received a call for an on site interview. Had a 4-member panel interview, which was more like a chat than an interview. Was asked basic behavioural questions. However, had to start with a talk for 2 minutes about a safety aspect. Also had to explain my capstone project to the HR person in layman's terms.
    3. Had lunch with one of the interviewer and two other engineers.
    4. Taken to a plant tour.
    5. I was also given a real estate agent who took me around the city and showed me around. It was very helpful when it come to the offer accepting decision.

Interview Questions

• Give us a talk on a safety related issue.   1 Answer
    • Describe your capstone project in a layman's terms.   Answer Question

Negotiation

I was given a very good deal. So there was not much to negotiate.

Accountant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Rio Tinto (Denver, CO (US)).

Interview

Phone interview with HR. Group interview with manager and team. On-site group interview with various departments, building tour and lunch with accounting group.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Did not try to negotiate as this was an entry-level position.

Accountant Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Rio Tinto.

Interview

I was presented by an outside recruiter. The interview was a 6 person panel. All the panel members were pleasant and professional. The process took about 4 weeks before an offer was made. The background check and physical were extensive. The physical took about 2 hours and was a bit excessive for an office position.

Interview Questions

• Trying to understand some of the technical mining jargon that was used in some of the questions.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Very easy negotiations.

Recruiter Interview

Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT (US)

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 7+ weeks. I interviewed at Rio Tinto (Salt Lake City, UT (US)).

Interview

Very long process.

Interview Questions

• Safety share - be sure you have an answer to a safety situation you've experienced.   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiating.

Electrical Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT (US)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Rio Tinto (Salt Lake City, UT (US)) in October 2010.

Interview

Had an initial interview at my college.. After 2-3 weeks got a call for onsite interview. Interview was of panel type with 4/5 members.. Basic HR questions followed by tour of company.. took nearly a month for the decision.. i have no idea why they didn't offer..

Interview Questions

• Describe your personality.. What are the safety measurements you undertake while working in a lab..   Answer Question

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.