Tableau Software Technical Support Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor.com.au

Tableau Software Technical Support Engineer Interview Questions

Interviews at Tableau Software

2.5

Technical Support Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA (US)

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Tableau Software (Seattle, WA (US)) in January 2017.

Interview

Very fun and friendly. It was an open interview day. I talked with a screening recruiter. Then I had a skills assessment test. Finally I had an interview with what would be a co worker to determine if I matched the culture.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Tableau Software

Technical Support Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA (US)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Tableau Software (Seattle, WA (US)) in July 2017.

Interview

Hiring was about 3 hours long. First I met with a recruiter, discussed the job, pay, benefits. We clarified some stuff on my resumé. Next was a communications test. Just to see how well you can communicate I guess. After that was a quick troubleshooting scenario, that was fun. Next up, Technical Test, see if you really know what it is you think you know. And lastly was a brief interview for culture fit with a team manager. Overall pretty fun

Technical Support Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX (US)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Tableau Software (Austin, TX (US)).

Interview

Referred via existing employee; the overall process took about a month and consisted of a phone screen, email test and final in-person interview with a variety of individuals over the course of 3 separate meetings in one morning.

Both the phone screen and email test went flawlessly; meeting the group of individuals conducting the interview is where things immediately fell apart. I was initially left and forgotten for almost a full 30 minutes in an empty conference room, as apparently, the first interviewer forgot I was there that day. This misstep resulted in a series of quick and uncomfortable sessions (because the initial interviewer burned most of their interview time which resulted in everyone else each arriving while the previous interview section was still ongoing) of 8 different people asking a battery of questions from cultural fit/personality to technical aptitude.

While the cultural fit/personality test went ok, as that interviewer was the most experienced of the bunch; every other portion of the interview seemed unfocused and irrelevant to the job I was interviewing. Even the manager interview I was subjected too felt strange and almost nonchalant; as if nobody (including the management) cared to be there. The technical test was significant alone for how very strange and unrelated to the subject matter I would be employed for which only contributed to the disjointed, wacky feel of the whole event. In fact, the technical test involved a single interviewer who appeared to have a general dislike of people due to their abrasive demeanor.

To top off the three-ring circus the in-person interview turned out to be, I was promised a phone call by the end of the week and never heard back from them until I received an automated survey from Tableau's career portal when they closed out my initial application. I later learned from the employee who referred me they ended up going with a different candidate and couldn't be bothered to contact me to let me know.

Overall, I would say unless you're desperate or are applying for a more significant position within the company (except perhaps management), other employers are available in Austin that won't waste your time, forget why they are interviewing you in the first place and treat you with such a degree of disrespect that Tableau seems to have a knack for.

Interview Questions

• Technical questions were completely unrelated such as "Describe system architecture for x OS" when I was being hired for Y OS specifically.   Answer Question

Technical Support Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fremont, WA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Tableau Software (Fremont, WA (US)) in October 2014.

Interview

I submitted my resume to an open position. I received an automated response, not surprising. The next communication was similarly an automated response, albeit with the name of an individual which I was told was not an actual person at the company. This response was, in essence, a cattle call. Asked to select a time from a list of slots at 30 min intervals. Not a good first impression. Still I thought I'd pursue this opportunity with a seemingly good company.

When I arrived for my interview, there were several interviewees sitting and waiting to be taken into the 'pen'. The first person I met with detailed the actual position and salary. When we both realized that I was over-qualified for this position, it was stated that by going through the interview process with a great result, there was a possibility that something positive would come of it. I chose to continue with the process (a poor choice in hind sight) and sailed through each 'station' with ease.

When I finally met with the Support Manager, he informed me that his team had expanded from 20 to over 100 in about 2 years...!!!?? 100+ support engineers for a company of that size? hrmmm His last words were (roughly): thanks for your time, you are very qualified and would be a great addition to our team. Someone from HR will be in touch with you very soon to follow up. This is what I call "Blowing rainbows"...

I followed up with an email of 'Thanks' the next morning and after hearing nothing from them 4 days later, I sent another follow up email and got no response at all. After 8 days, I sent another (the last intended) and still received no response. The next day, 9 days after the interview process, I received a poorly scripted and completely impersonal form email from someone with the title "Sales Recruiter" stating that they were going in another direction.

For a company that is so highly regarded, this whole process was surprising, disappointing and eye-opening. Knowing how quickly the company is growing, there is no doubt that they have lost sight of the important things, how to treat people. In the long run, this attitude can come back to haunt them if not addressed.

Interview Questions

• What is more useful? A Banana or a Stapler and Why?   1 Answer

Technical Support Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX (US)

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Tableau Software (Austin, TX (US)).

Interview

Three hour interview. Met with 6 people in all. They seemed like nice enough people and the interview wasn’t that difficult. A technical “test” you take on a computer where you just input answers to technical questions. An interview with a lead (or manager, I forget) an interview with two managers and then an interview with the head of the department.
    Had a good feeling I didn’t get it because I got a very strong feeling of a “bro”-culture (which I don’t fit into at all) and a feeling that there was a lot of elitism and exclusionary practices.

I’ve worked at much more important companies that didn’t feel like they had to flex their importance like Tableau did.

It really felt culty and judgmental at the offices and in the interview.

I Knew I hit the nail on the head when I received a form rejection letter from, literally, no one, but a tableau email address.

TL;DR - The entire experience can be summed up as an image of a kind stranger who’s a little too kind... he points at something, you look, and there’s his chance to put the knife in your back.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work at a company with this type of ‘BRO-lture’?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sydney

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Tableau Software (Sydney) in February 2018.

Interview

The HR emailed me to book my time for a phone call. During the call she asked some basic questions. When she got to know that my salary in my current job is even higher than their budget for this position, she decided not to move on.

Technical Support Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Na-Duar (India)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Tableau Software (Na-Duar (India)).

Interview

Hiring process was very well organized, HR was very clear and concise about the rounds of interviews. Interview was great experience with some highly knowledgeable individuals. Interview panel also involved senior leadership team who were very accommodating.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sydney

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Tableau Software (Sydney).

Interview

- Started off with a phone call with HR who asked some basic questions on your current role, salary, salary expectations and some technical questions. Technical questions included describing ping, traceroute, what SQL stands for, difference between drop, delete and truncate.

- Next stage involved a 1hr technical interview with two tech leads. Lot's of networking questions/theory, SQL queries and a DB troubleshooting question.

- After the tech interview was a 1:1 interview with one of the managers consisting of your standard behavioral questions. The manager I was assigned spent more time looking outside the glass meeting room and never making eye contact. Didn't feel very comfortable and felt like I was falling on deaf ears.

Overall experience was great except for the 1:1 with the manager.

Interview Questions

• Explain in detail what happens when you connect a computer to a network.   Answer Question
Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.