Workday Product Manager Interview Questions | Glassdoor.com.au

Updated 18 Dec 2017

2.9

12 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Employee in Pleasanton, CA (US)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6+ months. I interviewed at Workday (Pleasanton, CA (US)).

Interview

*Writing now three months after the process* I was interviewed by 6-7 people, each interview consisting of a half an hour. Then we took lunch for an hour with the team that I would be working with; no real interview questions during lunch, just casual banter. The last two hours consisted of a design session where you would present a mock up of a feature (assigned to you prior to the interview) and they would ask questions about why this feature is important. This was the hardest part of the process. The PM's and Developers ask really tough questions about your feature. Remember that this is done on purpose. They want to see how you will react to people questioning your design and how you handle feedback. Be confident with what you created!

The questions were mostly behavioral and experience related. It is very clear they are looking for culture and team fit during this process. Workday highly values their culture and subsequently wants to make sure their employees will positively represent the brand. Now that I am on the inside, I can see why. It is an excellent company and I could not imagine myself elsewhere.

Interview Questions

• What are some of your favorite applications? If you were a PM for that app, what would you change about it?   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Workday

Product Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Workday.

Interview

I applied for a PM role at workday. A recruiter contacted me to set up a time to chat with me. I replied with times and days that worked for me in the same week and in the following week.

I have not heard back from the recruiter since then. It has been 4 weeks. I have followed up with her twice and asked her when she would like to set up the call and no response.

I understand that the recruiters can get busy when they are dealing with multiple roles and multiple candidates for each role but once you have formally reached out to someone I think is basic courtesy and professional etiquette to inform them about the progress even if you have decided to pursue other candidates.

This reflects very badly on the company and their internal processes.

Anonymous Employee in Pleasanton, CA (US)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Workday (Pleasanton, CA (US)) in January 2017.

Interview

First applied through their site. Had a phone screen from the recruiter assigned to the role. Then had two separate 30-minute phone interviews with two current Product Managers on the team. Then was invited to a 3 hour on-site interview. Had about a week to prepare a feature design with mock-ups for the on-site. On-site consisted of 4-30 minute interview with 4 different team members. Then had a 1-hour design review session of the feature design. Heard back after about 2 weeks.

Interview Questions

• How do you engage customers in the product development process.   Answer Question

Product Manager Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Workday in January 2017.

Interview

Phone screen and phone interview with HM. Standard behavioral questions. There was barely a greeting, directly went to a question list. Questions were asked robotically. HM's voice was shaking, sounded really green and clearly new to people management position.

Product Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pleasanton, CA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Workday (Pleasanton, CA (US)).

Interview

Applied through website, heard from HR within a week. Two phone screenings and was brought in for a five hour interview. The phone screens went well. The in person process was not a great experience.

You talk to each person for half an hour. That's not really enough time to develop a rapport, talk about your goals and or ask them solid questions.

One of the other PMs I talked to didn't even let me answer my own questions. He would listen to my answer, cut me off and then answer it how he wanted to hear. It was as though I was talking with someone who had no clue how you are supposed to ask questions while conducting an interview (as in, you don't answer for the interviewee and steer the interview yourself).

We had a joint lunch, which meant they got to ask me questions while I ate my lunch trying not to spill on myself. One of the people that joined the lunch CLEARLY either did not want to be there or just did not care for me. They looked down on me the entire time and even when I posed a direct question to them, they shrugged and didn't actually answer. Bright side, free food?

In the presentation I gave, halfway through the manager made a comment about "oh, you are from THIS COMPANY, you don't know what we deal with" which was such an insult. Clearly I knew enough for you to want to bring me into the office, but in one statement they spat on my ten years of experience and knowledge. After that, the manager did not engage with me and pretty much made it clear I was not going to get the offer. I got a "nope" from HR the next week.

I've never in my life had such an insulting interview experience.

Product Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Workday (San Francisco, CA (US)) in April 2016.

Interview

The hiring manager was efficient and knew what she wanted. However, it matched every single technical requirement on the job description, which wasn't realistic due to customization knowledge that only Workday would know. The next step would have been meeting the team, which did not happen after the hiring manager gave the feedback listed above that required my asking HR for the reason they chose not to pursue further interviews.

Steps in hiring process communicated from HR:

1. Phone screen with HR
    2. Phone screen with hiring manager
    3. Meet the team

Interview Questions

• A question specific to custom integration with a common CRM application.   1 Answer

Product Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Workday in April 2016.

Interview

First round was with Technical Recruiter. She asked me some basic OO questions. Also informed me to go deeper into my answer as the technical reviews will ask deeper questions. Asked about my UML and Agile experience. Had an interview with the hiring manager. Asked about my background, managing experience and development experience. Technical interview doing a UML diagram. They asked about my history and went through my resume to determine my development background. Very easy to talk to.

Interview Questions

• UML Diagram of an airline reservation system   1 Answer

Product Manager Interview

Interview

Two phone interviews - one with recruiter and one with hiring manager. The recruiter gets to decide what position to place you. You don't get to interview for the position you applied for. Phone interviews were good. However, the onsite interview is another story.

This review is specific to one of the interviewers/managers at Workday. This review does not apply to other interviewers. THE INTERVIEWER ACTUALLY SAID SOME NEGATIVE COMMENTS ABOUT NETSUITE. I am not an employee but an applicant!!! My former boss happens to be one of the Directors at NetSuite and she is fantastic!!! I found the comment from Workday extremely unprofessional.

Nope, Workday, you're not better than NetSuite. Sorry.

Interview Questions

• Behavior questions, product presentation. Why Workday? Why are you interested in this position?   1 Answer

Product Manager Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Workday.

Interview

I had 3 calls. The first was with the recruiter, and the 2nd and third were with current PMs, and they focused on making sure you understood the responsibilities of a PM and knew what to do in certain situations, discussing previous work experience, etc. Then I went in for a set of in-person interviews (I believe 5 in total), and they ended up focusing mostly on making sure you fit the company culture (i.e. really smart and really friendly) rather than how to be a PM. Make sure you always have great, relevant questions to ask, because a lot of the time is spent actually asking them questions. The entire experience was really phenomenal, and I definitely understand why people absolutely love working there.

Anonymous Employee in Pleasanton, CA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Workday (Pleasanton, CA (US)) in June 2013.

Interview

Interview #1 - with recruiter by phone, round #2 - with hiring manager by phone - to assess subject matter expertise in area. round #3 - on site with hiring manager and 5 others, including case study on design of a product feature. round #4 - 6 more senior execs.

I have been through a lot of silicon valley interviews - too many software companies are run by people who think very highly of themselves and use interviews to torture prospects and see who survives. Workday actually wanted to get to know me, rather than torture me. Every step of the process was extremely friendly and professional.

Workday is looking for people who can think and are fun to work with, not recite methodology or show a pedigree of degrees and silicon valley brand names on your CV.

I knew I loved the company when this became evident during the interview process.

Joined a month ago and I love the company even more now that I am on the inside.

Interview Questions

• Nothing really unexpected: Be sure you know the company/product and can be specific about why you love it and what value you would bring. A big focus of the hiring process is cultural fit. They want people who WANT to be at Workday.   Answer Question
    • Product design case study: (again, not unexpected) Was asked how I would approach the design of feature X - which would be the first feature the product manager hired for this role would be asked to take ownership of. I was impressed that this case study was REAL and RELEVANT. Too many case studies in interviews are totally abstract or silly.   2 Answers

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.