Workday Product Manager Interview Questions | Glassdoor.com.au

Updated 1 Jul 2017

2.9

10 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Product Manager Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Workday in January 2017.

Interview

Phone screen and phone interview with HM. Standard behavioral questions. There was barely a greeting, directly went to a question list. Questions were asked robotically. HM's voice was shaking, sounded really green and clearly new to people management position.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Workday

Product Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Pleasanton, CA (US)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Workday (Pleasanton, CA (US)) in January 2017.

Interview

First applied through their site. Had a phone screen from the recruiter assigned to the role. Then had two separate 30-minute phone interviews with two current Product Managers on the team. Then was invited to a 3 hour on-site interview. Had about a week to prepare a feature design with mock-ups for the on-site. On-site consisted of 4-30 minute interview with 4 different team members. Then had a 1-hour design review session of the feature design. Heard back after about 2 weeks.

Interview Questions

• How do you engage customers in the product development process.   Answer Question

Product Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pleasanton, CA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Workday (Pleasanton, CA (US)).

Interview

Applied through website, heard from HR within a week. Two phone screenings and was brought in for a five hour interview. The phone screens went well. The in person process was not a great experience.

You talk to each person for half an hour. That's not really enough time to develop a rapport, talk about your goals and or ask them solid questions.

One of the other PMs I talked to didn't even let me answer my own questions. He would listen to my answer, cut me off and then answer it how he wanted to hear. It was as though I was talking with someone who had no clue how you are supposed to ask questions while conducting an interview (as in, you don't answer for the interviewee and steer the interview yourself).

We had a joint lunch, which meant they got to ask me questions while I ate my lunch trying not to spill on myself. One of the people that joined the lunch CLEARLY either did not want to be there or just did not care for me. They looked down on me the entire time and even when I posed a direct question to them, they shrugged and didn't actually answer. Bright side, free food?

In the presentation I gave, halfway through the manager made a comment about "oh, you are from THIS COMPANY, you don't know what we deal with" which was such an insult. Clearly I knew enough for you to want to bring me into the office, but in one statement they spat on my ten years of experience and knowledge. After that, the manager did not engage with me and pretty much made it clear I was not going to get the offer. I got a "nope" from HR the next week.

I've never in my life had such an insulting interview experience.

Product Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Workday (San Francisco, CA (US)) in April 2016.

Interview

The hiring manager was efficient and knew what she wanted. However, it matched every single technical requirement on the job description, which wasn't realistic due to customization knowledge that only Workday would know. The next step would have been meeting the team, which did not happen after the hiring manager gave the feedback listed above that required my asking HR for the reason they chose not to pursue further interviews.

Steps in hiring process communicated from HR:

1. Phone screen with HR
    2. Phone screen with hiring manager
    3. Meet the team

Interview Questions

• A question specific to custom integration with a common CRM application.   1 Answer

Product Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Workday in April 2016.

Interview

First round was with Technical Recruiter. She asked me some basic OO questions. Also informed me to go deeper into my answer as the technical reviews will ask deeper questions. Asked about my UML and Agile experience. Had an interview with the hiring manager. Asked about my background, managing experience and development experience. Technical interview doing a UML diagram. They asked about my history and went through my resume to determine my development background. Very easy to talk to.

Interview Questions

• UML Diagram of an airline reservation system   1 Answer

Product Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA (US)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Workday (Los Angeles, CA (US)) in February 2016.

Interview

Met a recruiter at my university and had an interview the following day. It was really chill the recruiter was very nice. The questions were all pretty straight forward about my experience and things I had o my resume and why I would make a good PM and just normal stuff that you would think of.

Interview Questions

• What is your favorite app and why? What is your least favorite app and why?   Answer Question

Product Manager Interview

Interview

Two phone interviews - one with recruiter and one with hiring manager. The recruiter gets to decide what position to place you. You don't get to interview for the position you applied for. Phone interviews were good. However, the onsite interview is another story.

This review is specific to one of the interviewers/managers at Workday. This review does not apply to other interviewers. THE INTERVIEWER ACTUALLY SAID SOME NEGATIVE COMMENTS ABOUT NETSUITE. I am not an employee but an applicant!!! My former boss happens to be one of the Directors at NetSuite and she is fantastic!!! I found the comment from Workday extremely unprofessional.

Nope, Workday, you're not better than NetSuite. Sorry.

Interview Questions

• Behavior questions, product presentation. Why Workday? Why are you interested in this position?   1 Answer

Product Manager Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Workday.

Interview

I had 3 calls. The first was with the recruiter, and the 2nd and third were with current PMs, and they focused on making sure you understood the responsibilities of a PM and knew what to do in certain situations, discussing previous work experience, etc. Then I went in for a set of in-person interviews (I believe 5 in total), and they ended up focusing mostly on making sure you fit the company culture (i.e. really smart and really friendly) rather than how to be a PM. Make sure you always have great, relevant questions to ask, because a lot of the time is spent actually asking them questions. The entire experience was really phenomenal, and I definitely understand why people absolutely love working there.

Product Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Pleasanton, CA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Workday (Pleasanton, CA (US)) in June 2013.

Interview

Interview #1 - with recruiter by phone, round #2 - with hiring manager by phone - to assess subject matter expertise in area. round #3 - on site with hiring manager and 5 others, including case study on design of a product feature. round #4 - 6 more senior execs.

I have been through a lot of silicon valley interviews - too many software companies are run by people who think very highly of themselves and use interviews to torture prospects and see who survives. Workday actually wanted to get to know me, rather than torture me. Every step of the process was extremely friendly and professional.

Workday is looking for people who can think and are fun to work with, not recite methodology or show a pedigree of degrees and silicon valley brand names on your CV.

I knew I loved the company when this became evident during the interview process.

Joined a month ago and I love the company even more now that I am on the inside.

Interview Questions

• Nothing really unexpected: Be sure you know the company/product and can be specific about why you love it and what value you would bring. A big focus of the hiring process is cultural fit. They want people who WANT to be at Workday.   Answer Question
    • Product design case study: (again, not unexpected) Was asked how I would approach the design of feature X - which would be the first feature the product manager hired for this role would be asked to take ownership of. I was impressed that this case study was REAL and RELEVANT. Too many case studies in interviews are totally abstract or silly.   2 Answers

Product Manager Interview

Interview

Took couple of months for the recruiter to call after sending an email to want to talk. I screwed it up as i did not prepare.

Interview Questions

• Domain specific questions and few situational questions.   Answer Question

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.