MediaMath Reviews | Glassdoor.com.au

3.8
MediaMath CEO Joe Zawadzki
Joe Zawadzki

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Work/life balance is also a major draw card; the work environment is very flexible (in 57 reviews)

• Amazing collection of smart people, focused on a common goal (in 35 reviews)

Cons
  • Some growing pains as organization continues accelerated growth (in 8 reviews)

• Amazingly, he's still employed though no one on our engineering team can explain what he does (in 6 reviews)

"Toxic work environment"

I have been working at MediaMath full-time

Pros

Smart people
    Global organisation
    Can learn a lot very quickly

Cons

Toxic work environment - extremely political and can't trust anyone
    Lack of progression
    Lack of leadership direction and very bad management
    A complete lack of culture and team work

Advice to Management

Take care of your employees and try to encourage more team-work

"Miserable Place"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sydney
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sydney

I have been working at MediaMath full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Newly appointed sales team looks promising and product is competitive in market. Sales lead is great. Empowering, down to earth, experienced and welcoming.

Cons

Toxic work environment influenced by platform solutions lead. Lack of collaboration between teams in marching towards the same goal. Morale is fragile.

Unhealthy office environment. Dirty kitchen and office surroundings. Staff regularly leave workout gear and personal belongings scattered around the office or inside cupboards. Writing on windows and loud music makes for an unprofessional work environment and does not accommodate for wider cultural practices

Inexperienced team in need of development

Lack of thought leadership, direction for the region and team work

Advice to Management

Focus on creating an environment and culture where team members are set up for success. Encourage ownership, accountability, and collaboration. The unfavourable culture is noticed by clients and industry. Invest in development of team. Very inexperienced.

MediaMath Response

12 Jul 2016 – Managing Director, APAC

Thank you for your honest and transparent feedback. In Sydney we operate in a small, start-up environment where every team member is empowered to act like a CEO. This means that everyone is... More

"Disappointed"

I have been working at MediaMath full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Free food sometimes?
    If you are new to the advertising tech scene, then this is a good start (but you can do better).

Cons

Work culture.
    I got mine attitude.
    No knowledge sharing.

"Product Manager"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY (US)

I worked at MediaMath full-time (More than a year)

Pros

1. Work life balance is great
    2. Lot of interesting problems to solve
    3. Co-workers are great

Cons

Mediamath has gone from a democracy and meritocracy to one man shouting orders from the ivory tower. Product leadership, while open to suggestions, has not laid out a clear vision for what is it that Mediamath is vying to do in the next 2-5 years. While I understand revenue is king, queen and the kingdom, the lack of product vision is seriously concerning. If we decided to prioritize our clients' demands as opposed to having the same priority on EVERYTHING and spent some time and engineering resources on building a solid product, we could possibly cut down the amount of money we spend on schmoozing the clients with fancy lunches and dinners and actually sell them a product that serves their need, than a constant promise for a better future.

it also doesn't help that it is one person running the show. The CEO isn't as engaged as he used to be. Mediamath is surviving because of the stature of the CEO as a visionary in the ad-tech space. People in product are falling like flies and the place has a feel of a sinking ship.

Advice to Management

Listen to the people who have been in the company for a while. Hire people with fresh ideas (and not your friends) and encourage a culture of counter questioning. Move away from promoting people to leadership positions who say 'Yes' to every idea that you ask them to pursue. Product's main responsibility is to prioritize. If a Product leader says YES to every initiative, know that nothing is being worked on.

Stop spending time and money on things like 'Happiness Training' and 'Monthly All Hands'. Encourage people to set realistic and stretch goals, hold them accountable for the realistic ones and reward them for the stretch ones they hit. Smart and dedicated employees stay when they are challenged, not when they are forced to go to 'meetings and trainings'

5. "Great recruitment process and onboarding"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I have been working at MediaMath full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I was approached by a member of the recruitment team who explained the role to me without being salesy. Expectations, responsibilities, and challenges were clear and the role sounded very exciting; so here I was, ready for the interview rounds. Right before the final interview stage, I had to undergo an emergency surgery with an undefined period of recovery ahead. The recruitment team and the hiring manager showed great compassion and understanding when I decided to put my health first and no longer pursue the opportunity. Little I knew that people at MM are amazing and after a few weeks someone in the recruitment team checked in to see how I was doing and how my recovery was progressing. Long story short I was recovering well and before I knew I had my final interview booked in and got the job.

Cons

MediaMath is a complex organisation that has grown fast and its communication structure, processes, and procedures are still playing catch up. Not sure this is much of a cons as it’s more an opportunity for everyone to shape the company they are working for.

Advice to Management

My advice to management is to make sure that your vision is clear at all levels of the org and your departmental leadership/management drive that vision further across the company

6. "Engagement Associate"

I have been working at MediaMath full-time

Pros

Great place to work - everyone is so helpful, friendly, and just an all around great atmosphere. Everyone likes to have fun, go out together, and the team events are extremely fun. Wouldn't imagine working anywhere else.

Cons

Deadlines can be stressful at times.

Advice to Management

Keep it up!!

7. "Receptionist"

I worked at MediaMath full-time

Pros

- free food in kitchens - bread, milk, eggs, snacks, free drinks vending machine
    - yearly bonus after review
    -paid phone bill and health care
    -free bar in ofice

Cons

- very casual environment - dress code

8. "Where have you been all this time?!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY (US)

I have been working at MediaMath full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The culture is unparalleled. People from all over the world who are encouraged to share ideas, innovate and mentor.

Gender and diversity is like no other. Fully inclusive.

Company updates and department updates are regular, professional and fun.

Intelligent people - genuine respect for ideas (no talking over each other).

Genuine career development and a proper HR team and internal learning development team.

Tech is like no other - and teams in place to support and develop the roadmap.

Industry leader!

Cons

More systems integration needed (their own BI platforms)

Advice to Management

You’re cooking a recipe for success. Keep doing what you’re doing.

9. "Great company with clear vision of the future"

Former Employee - Senior Account Manager in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Senior Account Manager in London, England (UK)

I worked at MediaMath full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great learning curve on programmatic world.
    Colleagues very supportive and helpful.
    Nice atmosphere and culture.

Cons

Salary could be better,
    Team resourcing should be taken in consideration as well, as sometimes teams are going strength to strength to deliver.

Advice to Management

Try to keep to good talents in house and not just let them go.

"MediaMath Berlin"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Berlin (Germany)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Berlin (Germany)

I worked at MediaMath full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

There is nothing to say

Cons

stressful atmosphere, lack of promotion opportunities. Instead of promoting employees within, the new are hired.