MediaMath Reviews | Glassdoor.com.au

3.8
MediaMath CEO Joe Zawadzki
Joe Zawadzki

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Work/life balance is also a major draw card; the work environment is very flexible (in 56 reviews)

• Amazing collection of smart people, focused on a common goal (in 35 reviews)

Cons
  • Some growing pains as organization continues accelerated growth (in 8 reviews)

• Amazingly, he's still employed though no one on our engineering team can explain what he does (in 6 reviews)

"Toxic work environment"

I have been working at MediaMath full-time

Pros

Smart people
    Global organisation
    Can learn a lot very quickly

Cons

Toxic work environment - extremely political and can't trust anyone
    Lack of progression
    Lack of leadership direction and very bad management
    A complete lack of culture and team work

Advice to Management

Take care of your employees and try to encourage more team-work

"Miserable Place"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sydney
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sydney

I have been working at MediaMath full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Newly appointed sales team looks promising and product is competitive in market. Sales lead is great. Empowering, down to earth, experienced and welcoming.

Cons

Toxic work environment influenced by platform solutions lead. Lack of collaboration between teams in marching towards the same goal. Morale is fragile.

Unhealthy office environment. Dirty kitchen and office surroundings. Staff regularly leave workout gear and personal belongings scattered around the office or inside cupboards. Writing on windows and loud music makes for an unprofessional work environment and does not accommodate for wider cultural practices

Inexperienced team in need of development

Lack of thought leadership, direction for the region and team work

Advice to Management

Focus on creating an environment and culture where team members are set up for success. Encourage ownership, accountability, and collaboration. The unfavourable culture is noticed by clients and industry. Invest in development of team. Very inexperienced.

12 Jul 2016 – Managing Director, APAC

Thank you for your honest and transparent feedback. In Sydney we operate in a small, start-up environment where every team member is empowered to act like a CEO. This means that everyone is... More

3. "Still like it after all those years!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY (US)

I have been working at MediaMath full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

- Great Engineering team & culture;
    - Opportunities to learn and practice new programming languages and technology;
    - Really good work/life balance;
    - Competitive salary and benefits package.

Cons

- Growing pains, recent re-organization led to more politics in inter-group relations;
    - 'One size fits all' approach does not always work in technology, i.e. not every microservice improves scalability and splitting one ill-designed legacy database on multiple designed even worse does not make it better.

Advice to Management

- More transparency on strategic decisions, leave engineering to engineers.

"Great company and tech culture for an engineer."

Current Employee - Engineer in New York, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Engineer in New York, NY (US)

I have been working at MediaMath full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Culture and people are amazing. Fun and enjoyable place to work at. If you are working on interesting projects, I don't think it can get any better than this.

Cons

Sometimes the rapidly changing environment and frequent re-orgs create some chaos, but it's all for a good end goal.

Advice to Management

Raise the bar in terms of compensation and working at MediaMath will become an unbeatable opportunity for engineers.

6. "Great growth experience!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY (US)

I worked at MediaMath full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There's a lot of brilliance, ambition, and fun at MediaMath. You'll be pushed out of your comfort zone and have a lot of laughs along the way.

Cons

Learning as much in one year as you'd learn in two years elsewhere can be exhausting.

Advice to Management

When you invest a little more in alignment up front - it pays dividends later.

7. "Growing Pains"

I have been working at MediaMath full-time

Pros

The company is growing fast and has a lot of great talent working there.

Cons

Not enough structure on the product size and so things are falling through the cracks.

Advice to Management

Need to double down on the product and have cross functional/org representation so there are no silos of work happening.

8 Nov 2017 – Chief Product Officer

Great observation and I agree that we have an amazing group of talented individuals working here. MediaMath has a complex set of products that must work together seamlessly in order to give our... More

8. "wonderful company if you like constant change!"

I worked at MediaMath full-time

Pros

Great perks and benefits, super smart people in all roles, industry leading tech and opportunity for growth if you want it

Cons

this isn't really a con but as of a year or so ago they hadn't really figured out how to be a big a big company, structure and management were changing CONSTANTLY which is fun if you can handle it. i'm sure they will figure it out, the bones of the company are solid.

"The best Frontend engineers I've worked with easily"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in New York, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in New York, NY (US)

I have been working at MediaMath full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The Frontend engineering team is extremely talented. There is no reason MediaMath engineering should not be competing at the level of Google, Facebook, Apple and friends. They have the talent to do so. We could probably use some direction from management and trust from management to do the right things to further the business goals.

- Location is wonderful.
    - Office is beautiful.
    - The people are great
    - You will like who you work with.
    - Work from home policy is great.
    - PTO policy is great.
    - I feel like my VP of Engineering is great.
    - My product manager is particularly helpful. She's almost as good as the last one I had at a previous employer and she has far less experience than he had.

Cons

The product is disappointing despite having the most consistently talented Frontend engineering team I've seen in my decade of Frontend experience. I haven't figured out why its so disappointing yet. Everyone seems constrained and under-utilized or just plain blocked from creating an amazing product due to the lack of a full UX team. Most companies would kill to have the Frontend engineering team we have at MediaMath. I hope they realize they have a diamond in the ruff here. MediaMath leadership just needs to make it shine.

Documentation is lacking when on boarding. You are just kind of on your own if your team is not lucky enough to have someone who's been working at MediaMath for a few years.

For what MediaMath offers we need to come up with structured on boarding and education for each and every employee. Each employee should feel empowered to provide value to the company. Its very hard to do this if you employees do not even fully understand the business which is crucial in MediaMath's business.

On the Frontend side of things people are encouraged to work in silos but still on a single app. Decisions can feel like they are top down. However, we've been working to find ways to make decisions a conversation rather than a top down approach. I'd like to be more connected to the various teams which can be difficult when people are spread across so many offices.

Advice to Management

We need a real and structured program to make sure every MediaMath employee that comes through the door understands the business. I think a 2-4 week on-boarding program where new hires focus on learning the MediaMath business in a classroom like setting is probably in the company's best interest in the long run.

One off classes every other week for an hour over the phone just does not help people to really know the business and understand it in a way that allows them to push it forward. As it stands right now on-boarding takes longer than it has to IMO as a result of a lack of structure as it relates to people understanding the business.

One other thing is we could do a better job with changing technology and trends. Changes will happen. We need to have a way to make changes if we need to in the future and without having to overhaul the whole app. The UI for our app needs a complete overhaul IMO from the UX to the design to the code.

Overall though, Mike, Steve and Joe and the rest of the MediaMath team are really really smart people and likable people.

20 Sep 2017 – Chief Product Officer

This is helpful feedback, and I wanted to take the opportunity to address some of these comments. All the items you mention are areas we also feel strongly have to constantly evolve and improve to... More

"Best place I've worked at in 10+ years as a software engineer!"

I have been working at MediaMath full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The company is the right size IMO. Not too big to be stifled by process and not too small to be at your desk for 10 hours a day trying to make ends meet. There's a ton to do and to innovate on. You can pick and choose what you work on to a certain extent and you are responsible for pushing a project to completion. Working in various languages and with various technologies is great. There's a ton of old and interesting code as well (of course), but new features can be made into their own thing where you're able to experiment with your choice of technologies. The people are great and we're very interconnected even though I am remote for most of the week. A lively and vibrant office culture makes coming in to the office fun.

Cons

Too much free food and alcohol!? No, really... Not much.

Advice to Management

Maybe employees could use a little more direction at times instead of being left to their own devices, but then again... I like that. I guess highly motivated people will find that kind of thing rewarding, while unmotivated people might find it hard to get stuff done.

11. "Top of the pack"

I have been working at MediaMath full-time

Pros

The entrepreneurial culture and high internal transparency make it a great and unique workplace. The management team is years ahead of competitors and they don't overreact to market shifts. Work/life balance is unmatched.

Cons

Compensation and benefits are slightly below industry average. The management team and senior leaders are often changing roles and priorities, making it hard to set a course.

Advice to Management

Optionality can be distracting and make life difficult for employees.