Medibank Reviews | Glassdoor.com.au

3.3
Medibank Managing Director & CEO Craig Drummond
Craig Drummond

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "I am able to work from home whenever I need, or wherever I feel will help me deliver my best work" (in 11 reviews)

• "Work life balance and career opportunity" (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • "The focus on work-life balance appears to be verbal only" (in 5 reviews)

• "Very difficult place to work and a lot of people have left and are leaving now" (in 3 reviews)

1. "Medibank"

Current Employee - Senior Business Intelligence Analyst
    Current Employee - Senior Business Intelligence Analyst

I have been working at Medibank full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

great work & life balance, insurance benefit

Cons

slow process, heavy senior management team

"Call Centre: Worst job of my entire life (no exaggeration)"

Former Employee - Customer Service/HPAT in Docklands
    Former Employee - Customer Service/HPAT in Docklands

I worked at Medibank full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Head office building is amazing - like a multi-colored spaceship (google it).
    Great if you catch a train to the city as it is right next to Southern Cross Station

Cons

Working on the phones (customer service) at Medibank is single-handedly the worst job I ever had in my life (for context I've worked in similar roles at several companies in Melbourne):

- Customers are usually on hold for between 20-50 minutes - and are either MISERABLE or ANGRY by the time they speak to you. (There are 2-3 Million Customers - and anywhere between 300-600 CSO's, do the numbers).

- Every millisecond of your time is measured - spend an extra 5 minutes in the toilet? Get a 'talking to' by your "People Leader" to 'manage your time better'.

(Your 'people leader' is sometimes an external hire with much less knowledge than you, but they have 'managing experience' - so you're usually ). You are also measured by 'how quickly' you handle the call (AHA - Average Handling Time). A bit hard when you're telling a 70 year old widow that she's not covered for her hip-replacement.

- The metrics of this time measurement go against the 'values' of the company. Explained: If i spend an extra 5-10 minutes answering multiple questions or explaining someones cover for e.g., i reduce their need to call back to ask another question - But if someone just answered their question (and not their underlying query) and gets them of the phone in 2 minutes - they have better statistics than me! (Even though that same member will call back in 10 minutes to be on hold another 45 min and speak to a completely new person again. AWESOME!

- I had 5 different 'people leaders' in a 12 month period. So after a while you stop seeing them as a 'leader' and more as a 'placeholder'

- As your breaks, calls, toilet time are measured by the second - you are encouraged to be a clock watcher.

- All the great facilities and work-life balance DO NOT APPLY to call-center workers - we are literally livestock hooked up to systems that measure our 'output' - I felt like a cow being milked almost everyday.

- There were times where I had to place a all on hold to call another department, who then placed me on hold to check with another department. Literally a chain of people on hold.

- The CEO was doing his best to bring Medibank into the 21st Century - why innovate when you had a monopoly for decades and guaranteed government contracts?

- Everyday, for 1 year; I would have a customer break down sobbing because they're not covered or their child is not covered. (They don't understand how their cover works! A salesperson wont explain because they want the sale, and why would we because we're incentivised to get them off the phone ASAP). This soon turns into pleasing/begging, or outright anger directed AT YOU, the representative of Medibank.

- You have to work public holidays (hahaha - I HATED my life when I had to do this)

- The main thing is you don't feel like a PERSON. You are a TOOL, someone to field the 'nasty general public' who in turn are nasty because they have been serviced by TOOLS - not PEOPLE

Advice to Management

- If you treat your call center workers like dirt - they will treat your customers like dirt. I saw genuine customer service workers who cared about customers become the least caring people before my eyes (as the metrics don't measure this)

- For God's Sake: Stop hiring 'people leaders' externally - it is very demotivating to have to report to someone who has been here all of 5 minutes and is actually asking you questions.

- I know a lot of the problems are inherited because they were a government company before and only started to compete recently - but that's not any call center worker's problem - that's an executive problem

- Be nicer to call center workers - they're not stupid and know they are working in terrible working conditions.

Medibank Response

7 Jan 2019 – Enagagement & Sourcing Coordinator

Hi there,
    Thank you for leaving feedback about your previous employment experience with Medibank. We pride ourselves on our people, our culture and our strong customer focus, so we’re really sorry... More

3. "Good"

I worked at Medibank full-time

Pros

More focussed on business goals

Cons

No flexibility at work. lacks work life balance

Advice to Management

consider work life balance

4. "Chief Marketing Officer"

Former Employee - CHIEF MARKETING OFFICER in Melbourne
    Former Employee - CHIEF MARKETING OFFICER in Melbourne

I worked at Medibank (More than a year)

Pros

Positive culture, with genuine interest in member health .

Cons

Highly regulated industry with relatively few levers available to break out in the marketplace.

5. "Working at Medibank"

I have been working at Medibank full-time

Pros

Good people to work with. Insurance and myki benefits

Cons

not much opportunity to grow

Advice to Management

Managers should be trained to not to micro manage.

"People - awesome. Funding - not so awesome"

Former Employee - Digital Product Owner in Melbourne
    Former Employee - Digital Product Owner in Melbourne

I worked at Medibank full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people I worked with were awesome. Dedicated and skilled colleagues - the vast majority of which cannot be faulted. I loved working with the people in my team and wider department.

Cons

The funding model is fundamentally flawed as there is no "always-on" funding, particularly for critical / central functions like digital.

Everything is tied to big bang / project based funding, which in turn is reliant on long-term business case funding.

This results in very stagnant top-down funding and decision making that is not very agile or responsive to anything other than executive whims.

Advice to Management

Resource your teams adequately to do what you hire them for and then get out of their way and allow them to actually make decisions.

7. "Amazing culture"

Current Employee - Copywriter in Docklands
    Current Employee - Copywriter in Docklands

I have been working at Medibank part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Beautiful office with chess, fussball, fire pits, cafes, etc.
    Flexible working hours
    Great company culture and focus on employee wellbeing
    Many women in leadership positions

Cons

A little behind on digital practices, and having many stakeholders and legal considerations can make getting things done a slow, frustrating process.

8. "Medibank"

I worked at Medibank full-time

Pros

- Discounted health insurance
    - Myki

Cons

- Went through a restructure there

9. "Great Training and Facilities"

I have been working at Medibank part-time

Pros

- Thorough training
    - Friendly coworkers
    - Amazing office and facilities

Cons

No cons observed so far

"Smoke and Mirrors- Looks Good on the Outside"

Current Employee - Commercial in Docklands
    Current Employee - Commercial in Docklands

I have been working at Medibank full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Activity based working- another type of hot desking
    - Great offices and facilities
    - central location close to southern cross station
    - friendly CFO and CEO

Cons

- appears to be “work life flexible” however you will discover almost everyone working outside hours
    - unrealistic expectations- work overtime to get the job done no matter what
    - “yes” middle management however management are clueless
    - blame game culture
    - turnover of employees just under 2 years
    - average pay

Advice to Management

Be realistic, it’s ok to say no to your superiors. Your team are the ones doing the hard yards, so if they’re unhappy there’s a good chance they will leave- which means their knowledge will probably go with them.

Medibank Response

2 Sep 2018 – Enagagement & Sourcing Coordinator

Hi there,
    Thank you for leaving some feedback about your current experience with Medibank. At Medibank, we pride ourselves on both our people and culture so we’re sorry to hear that your experience... More