Microsoft Reviews | Glassdoor.com.au

7,588 Ratings

18,289 Employee Reviews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "Certain groups can have poor work-life balance" (in 1168 reviews)

• "Outdated review system which is anything but fair" (in 526 reviews)

"Never been happier!!"

Pros

1) Amazing leadership under Satya our new CEO and Steve Worrall the M.D. in Australia
    2) The Number one cloud company in the world (literally)
    3) The greatest sales training you could ask for, ongoing mentoring, coaching and support. The M.D. even does call coaching with the sales reps!
    4) The best pay anybody could ever ask for
    5) international travel
    6) clearly defined processes

Cons

1) way too many complex tools and poor systems e.g; Microsoft Dynamics does not even let you call through the web browser so you have to install this very slow time consuming app called “Unified Service Desk” (USD) which is very slow and crashes non stop. Dynamics and Outlook also don’t integrate well at all!
    2) still a bit too “old school” and rigid when it comes to some things such as dress for example
    3) quite a lot of politics within the Sales Teams due to their being way too many people
    4) commission is capped at 200% for sales reps and pay is below industry average.

Advice to Management

1) Try to focus on hiring quality over some quantity. Microsoft hires far too many people too quickly.
    2) Don’t give him in to office politics and stupid, pointless games that are designed to show off over pathetic achievements and suck up. Say no to this and focus on what really matters
    3) offer employees a lot more stock - we deserve it! :)

"Company on good track however the Consulting Services business is unethical"

Current Employee - Solutions Architect in North Ryde
    Current Employee - Solutions Architect in North Ryde

I have been working at Microsoft full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Company is getting better every day. Love the openness and growth mindset culture.

Cons

Microsoft product teams are all about deploying the right solutions for the customer. However the Consulting Services organization demands that their staff deploy solutions that increase billable time. When challenged we're told not to think but do what we're told and that revenue is more important than the deploying the right solution. Utilization based incentives drive the wrong behavior. When engagements are completed in a fraction of the time allocated, we are told to perform work slower otherwise we'll be fired.

Advice to Management

Shutdown the consulting services business

3. "Technology specialist"

Current Employee - Tech Specialist in Melbourne
    Current Employee - Tech Specialist in Melbourne

I have been working at Microsoft full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Incredibly diverse and supportive of all.
    Salary and package is competitive and includes great additional benefits for wellness and promotion of healthy lifestyle.
    Huge opportunities to move up, around and over(seas).
    Great tech training including US trip each year to mother ship.

Cons

Customer facing roles have far too much turnover.
    Customer technical support is atrocious and no one from Services management team appear to care.
    Too many managers and not enough leaders.
    Many Managers ineffective, non-responsive and too focused on internal business rather than customer satisfaction.

Advice to Management

Measure your managers by their work with customers.

"Incompetent MGMT violates basic employment laws and gets away with it"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Ballarat
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Ballarat

I worked at Microsoft full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Most of the people are smart and enjoyable to work with. Benefits and salary can be good depending on your level.

Cons

Getting median rewards only if overcommit. Poor managers clash good solid teams in 1:1s to divide and conquer. Loyal employees not valued. Nepotism is pronounced. Performance reviews are tools of oppression to diverse opinions. Networking wins over merit in internal hiring process

Advice to Management

Get familiar with basic employment law. Redesign archaic review system. Investigate concerns properly. Improve culture. Dead wood is not only with long tenure, but with rigid thinking.

"Regional lags behind corporate"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sydney
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sydney

I have been working at Microsoft full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great strategic vision at a company level. Products are best-in-class and its a company you feel proud to work for.

Cons

Pockets of politics in regional locations which are much more like the "old" Microsoft where impressing your manager seems to matter more than executing on our strategic vision. We were told this would improve with the restructure but it has not really happened - hurting our results. Also, compensation and benefits lag behind competitors, which is making it harder to attract [and retain] top talent. Finally, many customers find it difficult to do business with us [licensing].

Advice to Management

Make sure you get middle managers who are truly committed to the company vision, values and goals, rather than puffing up their internal reports. Fix the compensation - we can more than afford it with our continued success. Simplify licensing [I know this is hard] and give customers and us a clear roadmap on how this will occur.

6. "Great company with awesome benefits"

Pros

Great company, constantly innovating, flexible working hours

Cons

Hierarchical organisation, quite political, old school sales people and management styles

7. "Good people, limited career opportunities locally."

Former Employee - Marketing Manager
    Former Employee - Marketing Manager

I worked at Microsoft full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Smart, talented people. Flexible work. Good corporate strategy. Operations running like clockwork. Good to have on resume.

Cons

Toxic culture in marketing. Poor leadership. Nepotism is rampant. Lots of kool aid drinking, navel gazing, self gratification, and self promoting. Crazy hours are too often the norm rather than the exception.

Advice to Management

Focus on the customer, skip jump your directs to find out what’s really going on in your organisation.

8. "Sales"

I worked at Microsoft full-time

Pros

flexible working hours, great salary packages

Cons

hierarchical, still an old management style

Advice to Management

embrace youth

9. "Great leader (Satya Nadella) with clear growth strategies in place."

Current Employee - Senior Category Manager in Sydney
    Current Employee - Senior Category Manager in Sydney

I have been working at Microsoft full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Smart people, flexible work hours, and leading the way in tech.

Cons

Growth is in Azure related IT infrasture and the hardware side of the business is losing focus.

"Field Support Specialist"

Former Employee - Field Support Specialist in Sydney
    Former Employee - Field Support Specialist in Sydney

I worked at Microsoft full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It's such a big company that even if your direct report doesn't care about you, there are processes in place to ensure you're adequately taken care of. Not to mention the constant stimulation of a multinational tech giant, every week there's something new to learn or discover that your company made.

Cons

The internal politics from Ballmer days are still lingering in most departments, Satya has made great progress but until the old management is fully cleaned out this will continue to be a problem. The other con is getting something done without precedent, this takes so long that most FTEs just don't put the effort into it anymore and accept it as status quo. Big company, slow moving.

Advice to Management

Think more about the customer, less about your boss and people will start to work more collaboratively.

Showing 18,289 of 20,627 reviews