Open Colleges Reviews

Updated 3 Jun 2020

2.8
Pros
  • "Was able to work from home sometimes(in 7 reviews)

• "I have worked in Sales Roles within a handful of organisations now, and Open Colleges really *wants* its people to do well and earn good money(in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • "Ambitious and highly skilled staff members are seen as threats to management instead of assets(in 5 reviews)

• "In the two years I worked there, we had two restructures and two audits, with more restructuring and audits on the way(in 4 reviews)

1. "Great Culture and Great Earning Potential"

Current Employee - Enrolment Consultant in Melbourne

I have been working at Open Colleges full-time for more than a year

Pros

The Melbourne Office has a great, positive culture, in a cool location. I have worked in Sales Roles within a handful of organisations now, and Open Colleges really *wants* its people to do well and earn good money. There is a very thorough and enjoyable Induction process to ensure new staff are trained and confident before getting into the role, and a very fair "ramp" to ensure that newer employees have achievable starting targets. The support offered from Team Leaders and Senior team members is always very helpful, and there is room for even experienced sales people to grow. Overtime shifts are optional and well compensated for. Lots of fun and motivating daily/weekly incentives on top of usual Monthly Bonus'. Senior Management make a real effort to communicate with all staff within the business which really makes you feel "Part of" the company. Having a CEO who remembers your name and is down for a chat, even with the more entry level staff is awesome.

Cons

As with any phone based role, the repetition can feel like a grind from time to time. Some Head Office Staff can be rude and difficult to deal with (Usually unnecessarily) No Annual leave in the first quarter is a bummer if you like Summer Holidays A few kinks need to be ironed out on the IT side of things to make one or two processes easier.

Continue reading
  2. "Great employer with good career development"

4.0
    Current Employee - Mid-Level Manager in Sydney

I have been working at Open Colleges full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I have been at Open Colleges for over 3 years and have experienced a lot of change. The new exec team who joined in 2019 have introduced a positive culture of transparency and ownership. In my three years, I have moved across different divisions into a senior management role and the organisation continue to support my career development.

Cons

The organisation works at a fast pace which is not suited to all employees. There are some legacy staff who hinder change and are not on-board with the company's direction.

Continue reading
  3. "Good company to work for"

Former Employee - Customer Support Manager in Sydney

I worked at Open Colleges full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Care for students, good quality course content

Cons

High standard which makes a stressful working environment

4. "yea"

Former Employee - Recruitment Consultant in Sydney

I worked at Open Colleges full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

money can be good at this job

Cons

this job is very bad

5. "Amazing place to work! Culture is the best"

Current Employee - Enrolment Consultant in Melbourne

I have been working at Open Colleges full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great commission structure and generous base pay. They really take care of you. The company works like a well-oiled machine.

Cons

Career progression currently only available in Sydney.

Continue reading
  6. "Change is the Breakfast of Champions"

Current Employee - Senior Manager in Sydney

I have been working at Open Colleges full-time for more than a year

Pros

New exec is on the right path from a strategic perspective

Cons

A lot of lazy legacy staff who have been in the organisation way to long and need to get on board with the changes or leave

7. "Anyone with sales experience, avoid"

Former Employee - Enrolment Consultant in Melbourne

I worked at Open Colleges full-time for less than a year

Pros

Small perks are offered, monthly EOM lunch and great one on one and group training. Great induction + on the job training.

Cons

Essentially, a EC at Open Colleges is a Entry Level position. If you do have a background in sales, I'd suggest not applying. The main reason for this is quality of leads - majority of them do not pick up. Its very common to go through 200+ leads and only speak to a max of 5 in a day as no one picks up. The leads aren't asking for a phone call, they're just putting their details into the website to obtain the course guide. It's very disappointing that during the induction/interview process, you're constantly told that they are "hot leads", these people want "conversations". Unfortunately this isn't the case at all. This is a very repetitive job role, constantly calling all day long and no answers. You aren't really using any sales knowledge as they want you to go through a script - which they like to say its a call flow but it isn't. Most Enrolment Consultants each month don't make targets due to the above. We're told that you can start making really good money 12 months in as you've built up your pipeline and will have students on the go - this should've been disclosed in the interview process.

Continue reading
  8. "Good experience at first, but all downhill from there."

Former Employee - Student Support Officer

I worked at Open Colleges full-time for more than a year

Pros

The team at Student Support were very supportive in my tenure, I've created long lasting friendships. The transport's good too since it's close to the train station.

Cons

Ever since Student Support got moved to Sales, the workplace has become incredibly toxic and careless. Morale is down and I felt that when this change came, more emphasis and care was placed on Recruiting rather than supporting the student, which supports the bevy of student complaints that OC is just there for taking money off students rather than helping students succeed. I've had a Recruitment Team Leader who said to me directly "stuff morals", to a student who needed to cancel one day outside the cooling off period because he/she was going through some very devastating circumstances and told me that "we were running a business". Enrollment Consultants have forced me to get off my lunch to take calls that they should solve themselves, or send to the people who are not on lunch breaks. Most of the time, there's no accountability for Sales, and management just lets it slide. There's little support for staff members from leadership and we're expected to just deal with the backlog instead of finding a strategic way to make things more efficient. The belief we have to prioritise calls over more urgent cases is absolutely ridiculous, as it builds a bigger backlog with cases. Also, the constant restructuring makes up for so many inconsistencies with policy which makes it difficult for us to explain the right information to students, which in turn causes more complaints leading to a demoralising worker experience. There is also no reward for the amount of work you have done as there used to be in Shared Services, and yet they keep having lunches for the sales department. Unfair. It was good for the first half of my time here, but I wouldn't recommend working here again.

Continue reading
  9. "Poor and unethical culture management"

Former Employee - Manager in Sydney

I worked at Open Colleges full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

- Great colleagues - Fun incentives - Office at the heart of Surry Hills with easy access to public transport

Cons

- Heavy in politics - Bullying and inappropriate comments/behaviour are not actively managed and it is impacting negatively the culture - Ambitious and highly skilled staff members are seen as threats to management instead of assets

10. "Mix of Pros and Cons"

Former Employee - Senior Learning Designer in Sydney

I worked at Open Colleges full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

High standard of professionalism in terms of the courses developed at Open Colleges and student support. Good work flexibility. Competitive salaries.

Cons

Inconsistent HR policies and procedures. Lack of collaboration between teams. Many staff with minimal qualifications/experience in education.

Found 62 reviews