SEEK Reviews | Glassdoor.com.au

SEEK CEO & Co-Founder Andrew Bassat
Andrew Bassat

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "Flat structure can inhibit career progression" (in 8 reviews)

• "A total Boys club - It’s almost like you are back in the 80’s the stuff that goes on here" (in 5 reviews)

"Awesome place to work, surpassed my expectations"

Former Employee - Senior Developer in Melbourne
    Former Employee - Senior Developer in Melbourne

I worked at SEEK (More than a year)

Pros

Has an excellent positive culture that emphasises discussion and problem solving. Smart group of thinkers that are using some great technology to make the experience of attracting talent (or finding your next job) easier.

The biggest pro for me was that I felt quite at home and felt I could be myself without any judgement. What more could you ask for really?

Cons

Career progression is an issue that management is aware of and are working on. A typical problem of a large entity with most people pretty happy and not moving on and so therefore how do you promote others.

For me this was critical and I decided to explore external opportunities.

The other major one would be too focused on competition and not as focused on innovation.

"Inauthentic. Odd culture"

I worked at SEEK full-time

Pros

Great office location, lots of employee benefits. Paid above industry average.

Cons

Very odd culture. Lacks authenticity. You never really know where you stand as management aren't equipped or are afraid to have development conversations.

A lot of the sales leaders have been with the business a very long time and has a very boys club feel. Women find it hard to progress here. Very much the type of culture that its not what you know but who you know. If you are in with the 'in crowd', happy days. If not, you wont enjoy it.

Advice to Management

Promoting your sales leaders internally is all good and well IF they are suit to lead. Sometimes you are better looking externally and finding better people leaders as opposed to promoting your mates.

3. "Sales"

Current Employee - Account Manager in Melbourne
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Melbourne

I have been working at SEEK (More than 3 years)

Pros

Culture & people are great

Cons

Flat structure , limited Dev opps

Advice to Management

None

"Anonymous"

Pros

Great people (colleagues) I can call friends. Very social business , always has events which is great. Friday drinks and laid back environment.

Cons

Leadership. SEEK was a company I was very excited to join because if the reputation it has created, but sadly it was not what I thought it was going to be. Politics is very strong within the business. If you are part of the group, then you will succeed. I've seen ridicilous roles created which do not make sense. Transparency is preached which was great at first, but come to realize if you speak how you feel which isn't linked by leadership, your world becomes difficult. Almost like high school. Trust is a big issue within the company. There is always back stabbing, people will do anything to get what they want without any concern of others. Flexibility. Yep, flexibility. For a large tech company, this did not exist. No working from home option. Altered work hours did not meet business requirments, unless I have children. Overall, it is no different from any other average business. You are just a number and will be pushed out if you do not agree with management. SEEKS purpose is to help people live fulfilling working lives. How can you do this for others if you cannot do it for your own business?

Advice to Management

Leadership lacked inspiration. The wrong people are in the wrong roles. Executive team needs to get more involved in the teams to see the politics and bullying environment resulting in good people leaving. Surveys are done for a reason. The feedback is there and has been for a long time, so something about it. Dont preach values that are not followed through within the business.

5. "Amazing culture with focus on career development"

I have been working at SEEK full-time

Pros

Inclusive culture, engaging work, and competitive salaries

Cons

Only real negatives are lack of on-site parking and occasional lack of motivating work

6. "Wonderful culture"

Current Employee - Senior Account Manager in Melbourne
    Current Employee - Senior Account Manager in Melbourne

I have been working at SEEK full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

People first culture that has a strong emphasis of investing it's people in every way imaginable. Amazing Aussie home grown success story

Cons

Flat structure means you need to be patient for upwards promotions. Lots of opportunity for sideways moves into different departments which is a positive

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work

7. "Director"

I have been working at SEEK full-time

Pros

Great coy, culture, excellent management

Cons

it's a growing evolving business but important that the culture that has made SEEK successful is maintained

"Boys club"

Former Employee - Client Services
    Former Employee - Client Services

I worked at SEEK full-time

Pros

Coffee machine and free drinks

Cons

bully like behaviour frequently. Boys club environment within the teams and management. if you are not mates that go drinking on a Friday night and socialise, they will get rid of you through unethical means. They are very "trigger happy" when it comes to firing employees. Got to the point where meetings are arranged to tell employees they don't have to worry about their job security. Seek is a company that has no ethics and no job security, with a lot of bullying and workplace cultural issues.

9. "Wish I still worked there"

I worked at SEEK full-time

Pros

Great office culture and supportive envrionment

Cons

Redundancies due to unforseen circumstances, wish there were other opportuniteis for growth in the business

10. "Great culture but limited opportunity for career develepment"

I have been working at SEEK full-time

Pros

Flexible work culture, and friendly smart people.

Cons

No real commitment to non-management employee growth.