Salmat Reviews | Glassdoor.com.au

Salmat Reviews

Updated Oct 24, 2019

3.3
Salmat Chief Executive Officer Rebecca Lowde (no image)
Rebecca Lowde
Pros
Cons
  • "Confusing senior management direction(in 6 reviews)

• "Pay is minimum wage, with terrible commission structure, does not promote ambitious selling or performance(in 5 reviews)

1. "Loved working with my direct team"

Former Employee - Digital Account Coordinator in Dandenong South

I worked at Salmat full-time for more than a year

Pros

Relaxed work environment, great team that I directly worked with. Company culture is good but there are definitely some changes happening there

Cons

Other teams are siloed off which doesn't create an overall team environment with a shared goal but rather competing interests.

Salmat2019-07-23
  2. "Great Opportunities"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Melbourne

I worked at Salmat full-time for more than a year

Pros

Very active at growing talent from within

Cons

Salaries on the lower end

Salmat2019-10-25
  3. "Great for short term employment, long term not so much."

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Melbourne

I worked at Salmat full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Semi relaxed clothing requirements, nice office in the city, hire a range of types of people- quirky sense of humour and alternative style isn't punished.

Cons

Often report to a team leader that has no understanding of your role, and are treated like a recalcitrant child for the slightest infraction (too long between calls when making detailed notes, too long in the bathroom while sick, inflexibility when outside life needs to be accommodated. One afternoon off removes all per hour bonuses for that fortnight, as does being sick or late.) Understaffing as a temporary issue... becomes permanent, and promises of support are not followed through on. A year and a half doing afternoon shift alone, which school have been 2 people and possibly a changeover shift person overlapping. KPIs and metrics matter more than the mental health of employees, processes randomly change, no proper implementation of processes and supporting systems- often systems are shoved through last minute, without enough testing. Once every fortnight at least some of the major systems required would crash, or the firewall reset and made all online apps (so all programs used) unable to be accessed.

Advice to Management

KPIs are easier to achieve and maintain when there's an inclusive environment, not a constant reassertion that everyone is replaceable and consistently isolated.

Salmat2019-10-01
  4. "Stability"

Former Employee - Applications Support Analyst

I worked at Salmat full-time

Pros

There is nothing good about working at this company. Just don't go there!

Cons

Salmat is a very unstable Company. The turnover is very high. They hire people in permanent positions and in a few months even after they have past their probation period they make their positions redundant!

Advice to Management

You are playing with people's lives here! people make decisions based on their permanent jobs, like buying properties ... You can't ust make their positions redundant a few months after hiring them in a permanent position! It is just not right! Very unprofessional!

Salmat2019-09-17
  5. "Finding its Feet"

Former Employee - Senior Operations Engineer in Sydney

I worked at Salmat full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Pockets of shelter. Hopefully more stable now.

Cons

Went through some serious change.

Salmat2019-08-19

"A lot of change"

Former Employee - Head of Marketing

I worked at Salmat full-time for more than a year

Pros

Can find opportunity if you push

Cons

Old business model and needs to change

Salmat2019-07-25
  7. "Not a bad place to work"

Current Employee - Customer Service Agent

I have been working at Salmat part-time

Pros

Convenient location and clean workplace

Cons

salary is a bit low

Salmat2019-07-19
  8. "Best of the minimum wage jobs"

Former Employee - Customer Service Agent in Melbourne

I worked at Salmat full-time for more than a year

Pros

Compared to hospitality, retail, fast food etc, working in a contact centre is a good place to start. Salmat's Melbourne office is modern loking and feels professional but down to earth at the same time, which is a good combo. Their contact centres were bought by Probe in 2018, so not sure how it is now. I really appreciated the diversity of colleagues - all walks and stages of life, so many unique... stories, but all working for the same purpose. Because it's a large scale employer, there is more room for flexible working arrangements, and the organisation doesn't fall apart if you actually stay home when you are sick. While individual team leaders and managers have their own styles, the organisation is committed to equity, fair treatment and following the law when it comes to workers rights, which is not something to take for granted in minimum wage "unskilled" roles. There is room for movement - if you do your time as a phone agent, you can move onto a huge variety of roles, from HR, IT, management, Finance, you name it! Even chances to head Interstate or Overseas. Also, they provide free PT sessions in a nearby park, and occasional visits from exercise physiologists and ergonomics professionals which is a nice touch.

Cons

An open plan office of a few hundred people means there is a chronic exposure to high ambient noise. This, in combination with the noise from the customers on the headsets, can become a hearing risk. There are also "auditory incidents" on occasion, where there is an unusually loud noise on the headset that is a risk of all call centre technology. I'm not sure if they do it anymore, but when I was there we used... shared headsets, which is a huge health and safety risk. I suffered multiple ear infections during my time there. Another issue with this, and hotdesking, is the risk of higher exposure to viruses such as the flu and gastro. When we did have a gastro outbreak on our floor, management were quick to try and solve the problem by providing us all with antibacterial wipes for our desks, keyboards, mouses, computer screens and headsets. I think every person needs their own headset. The constant onslaught of calls gets very tiresome after around 6 months, which last time I checked is the standard rate of attrition for many call centre agents. There's no real diversity of tasks at all and it can get very monotonous. Sitting at a desk for 8+ hours a day is not great either.

Advice to Management

Study the WHS risks of phone agents and do everything you can to minimise these risks. Attrition is the biggest problem contact centres face, and most people don't quit jobs, they quit bosses. A supportive work environment and nurturing and fair management is crucial in making sure talent grows (and sticks around). Maybe a more structured career mentoring program outside of supervision could keep morale up for... potential future leaders.

Salmat2019-07-04
  9. "Great company"

Former Employee - Project Manager

I worked at Salmat full-time

Pros

Good work life balance with good money People are approachable and willing to help

Cons

Lots of instability within business

Salmat2019-06-26
  10. "Good part time job"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sydney

I worked at Salmat part-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Good part time, flexible hours

Cons

Bad hourly rate but the best you can get as a teenager

Salmat2019-06-17