UnitedHealth Group Reviews | Glassdoor.com.au

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Optum"

Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in Melbourne
    Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in Melbourne

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group (More than 10 years)

Pros

Space for creativity and innovation

Cons

Not organised, Internal departments not in Sync

Advice to Management

NA

2. "Good benefits, no chance for progression"

Pros

- work was very easy
    - it had some good benefits

Cons

- there was no room for progression
    - the pay was low for similar jobs

Advice to Management

Please ensure all employees get a fair chance.

3. "Very rewarding but there were opportunities for the company to improve."

Former Employee - Consultant in Brisbane
    Former Employee - Consultant in Brisbane

I worked at UnitedHealth Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There was a lot of autonomy and a wide variety of clients to work with. The variety of workers meant that there were good opportunities to develop your skills through collaboration.

Cons

The direction set by the business was not that clear for employees it clients. There was a strong drive for profits (which are obviously important) but the business is a health provider so there needs to be a strong emphasis on a social bottom line.

Advice to Management

Connect with your staff better to drive change.

4. "Director late phase"

I worked at UnitedHealth Group full-time

Pros

Workplace flexibility benefits team environment training governance

Cons

Disorganised financial systems, reactive, focused on acquisitions

Advice to Management

Fix the finance systems and you will have less frustrated staff

"Dysfunctional upper management"

Former Employee - Senior Research Analyst
    Former Employee - Senior Research Analyst

I worked at UnitedHealth Group full-time

Pros

Most of the work is interesting

Cons

Although they pretend to be transparent and inclusive, upper management seems to be an exclusive club with little regard for staff satisfaction or retention. In their pursuit of short term profits, they make incompetent strategic decisions and have lost a lot of extremely talented staff to competitors.

Advice to Management

See above. Listen to your staff.

"Very heads-down"

Current Employee - IT Project Manager in Eden Prairie, MN (US)
    Current Employee - IT Project Manager in Eden Prairie, MN (US)

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group (Less than a year)

Pros

I will preface this review with a statement you need to heed when reading this review as well as any reviews for this company -- "It depends on your area."

This is a GIGANTIC company and YMMV depending on your group. Keep that in mind when reading.

Anyway, I've been here only 6 months, but I think I have enough of a feel for Optum to write a review.

The positives:
    Great work/life balance: I never have to stay late, work on weekends, etc. I get 23 vacation days and my manager encourages me to use them AND completely unplug while away.

Beautiful office: I work at the new Optum office in Eden Prairie. Building is modern and comfortable. Full size gym and locker room, and workout classes. Great parking ramp with a skyway so you never need to go outside in the rain or snow!

Work from home: VERY progressive with WFH! I can work from wherever I want. if I want to WFH one day, I can. If I want to WFH the whole week, I can do that, too. No one questions you.

Total autonomy

No drama: This is a very heads down place! I can't stress that enough. No one socializes with each other -- most of the time, you never even talk to your cube neighbors (because they're probably working from home). This is a positive for me though -- after working in some high drama offices, this is a refreshing change.

All meetings are over webex: Great news if you hate in-person meetings like I do -- because there are very few! In the 6 months I've been here, I've had 4 in person meetings. This is also a con because you never meet your coworkers - read the con list for more info.

30 minute "best practice" meeting times: You will not get invited to 2+ hour meetings, ever. Nearly all meetings are only 30 minutes. You might have the one-off meeting that's an hour, but it's rare.

Good, standardized PM practices. But some of the documentation requirements are too rigid and can slow progress down. Our group is trying to move to 100% agile. Slowly.... All of my projects so far have been waterfall SDLC. Although as a new person, it would help to have a PM to shadow on some of these documentation/audit practices. I've had to learn as I go.

- Great cafeteria with cheap prices. I can get a lunch here cheaper than I can bring it from home.

-Very engaging training classes!!! All training classes are over LearnSource (i.e. your computer) but the videos are well done and entertaining.

Cons

-Building seems empty because so many people WFH. It's almost kind of...sad. Such a nice building but no one is there.

-Internet explorer is the browser of choice. Yuck. You have to have special permissions to download Google Chrome or Firefox on your computer.

-If you like socializing with your coworkers, this is NOT a place for you! I can't stress that enough!! You will NOT meet your new BFF here. Everyone is very heads-down and focused on work -- no one chit chats about football or True Detective! You will not have coworkers stopping by your desk (to chat about a TV show OR to even chat about work). Most of my days, I don't talk to anyone in person. It's kind of depressing -- and I'm an introvert! There are no happy hours, social events outside of work, etc (this is a positive for me because I hate that stuff).

-Lots of contractors. Not that it's a bad thing - I've had great experiences with the PM contractors. They obviously don't last as long as the employees, and there's more contractor PMs than employee PMs.

-Difficult, as a new person, to know "who's who." There is no face-to-face meetings, so as a PM, it's tough to know who does what, since there's no face to put with the name. I struggle with this a lot, as I'm not used to this extreme of a "remote" workforce!

-No wifi for your phone. Wifi is only available for visitors and you must have a user name and password.

-Nearly all social media websites are blocked. Not really a con, but something you might want to know. You won't be browsing facebook at work!

-LOTS of meetings. Sure, the meetings aren't in person, they're over Webex, but you will have a LOT of them.

-Some "know-it-all" ego-driven coworkers, especially on the tech side. But this is typical of IT in general. I've witnessed this at every org in which I've worked.

Advice to Management

Get some org charts!

12 Sep 2016 – Enterprise Talent Community Manager

Thank you for your thorough review! Yes, UnitedHealth Group is a hard-working company, but we also strive for work-life flexibility by having telecommute positions and work from home options. I'm... More

"A place where talented individuals thrive and are pushed for further growth and advancement"

Current Employee - Financial Underwriter in Minnetonka, MN (US)
    Current Employee - Financial Underwriter in Minnetonka, MN (US)

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Professionalism amongst peers
    Beautiful work atmosphere and environment
    Feeling that the work you do is making a difference
    Driven people are rewarded and recognized
    Ample room for growth and career development
    Learning opportunities
    Huge company with tons of different business areas
    Unbelievable benefits
    High compensation

Cons

Long interview process—but makes sense as they are looking for certain people
    Lots of change—great for those who can handle it and like change

4 Dec 2017 – Enterprise Talent Community Manager

Thank you for sharing your feedback. I am glad that you have found growth and development within your roles. Sincerely, Erika Cassidy, Sr. Talent Community Manager, UnitedHealth Group

8. "Technology Project Manager"

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Work life balance, performance bonuses, training and growth opportunities

Cons

Large and confusing matrix begging the need for a mentor

Advice to Management

None.

9. "Analyst"

Pros

cool work environment and freedom to learn

Cons

no scope to get further

10. "Clerk"

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group full-time

Pros

Great Benefits at a reasonable rate

Cons

Large company does not have that family feeling

4 Dec 2018 – Enterprise Talent Community Manager

Thank you for sharing your feedback. It's great that you are having a positive experience with the organization and in your role. The family feeling might depend on department and manager. You may... More