UnitedHealth Group Reviews | Glassdoor.com.au

UnitedHealth Group Reviews

Updated 15 Nov 2019

3.4
UnitedHealth Group CEO Dave Wichmann (no image)
Dave Wichmann
Cons
  1. "Good company to learn"

I worked at UnitedHealth Group full-time

Pros

Work from home using the provided laptop

Cons

Sometimes lots of work, but i think it is normal in any company

UnitedHealth Group2019-01-27
  2. "not so good culture fo devs"

Former Employee - Software Developer

I worked at UnitedHealth Group full-time

Pros

few people are good. only few

Cons

not so good culture for dev

Advice to Management

find people with good attitude

UnitedHealth Group2019-04-02
  3. "Good benefits, no chance for progression"

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group

Pros

- work was very easy - it had some good benefits

Cons

- there was no room for progression - the pay was low for similar jobs

Advice to Management

Please ensure all employees get a fair chance.

UnitedHealth Group2017-06-02

"Too big to err fail? Optum in Australia"

Current Employee - Customer Service in Melbourne

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Teamwork and solidarity among individual teams is good. Flexibility to make decisions a local level if you show aptitude or high skill level. Opportunities to have a global reach with colleagues in many parts of the world. Committed clinical care for clients.

Cons

Company is too big and decisions are made by people half a world away. Offshoring of processes doesn't deliver any efficiency gains. Tech support is awful and frequently useless for a "Health and Technology" company. Communication of a plan or driving force non-existent. Everything is done reactively to a process or technology that doesn't work. Forward planning bogged down in politics or poorly organized... processes.

Advice to Management

Sever Optum in Australia from UHG. Spend the money or make decisions to get technology that actually works.

UnitedHealth Group2017-02-27
  5. "Very rewarding but there were opportunities for the company to improve."

Former Employee - Consultant in Brisbane

I worked at UnitedHealth Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

There was a lot of autonomy and a wide variety of clients to work with. The variety of workers meant that there were good opportunities to develop your skills through collaboration.

Cons

The direction set by the business was not that clear for employees it clients. There was a strong drive for profits (which are obviously important) but the business is a health provider so there needs to be a strong emphasis on a social bottom line.

Advice to Management

Connect with your staff better to drive change.

UnitedHealth Group2017-03-02
  6. "Optum"

Senior Project Manager in Melbourne

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group for more than 10 years

Pros

Space for creativity and innovation

Cons

Not organised, Internal departments not in Sync

Advice to Management

NA

UnitedHealth Group2015-09-27
  7. "Director late phase"

I worked at UnitedHealth Group full-time

Pros

Workplace flexibility benefits team environment training governance

Cons

Disorganised financial systems, reactive, focused on acquisitions

Advice to Management

Fix the finance systems and you will have less frustrated staff

UnitedHealth Group2015-05-04

"Dysfunctional upper management"

Former Employee - Senior Research Analyst

I worked at UnitedHealth Group full-time

Pros

Most of the work is interesting

Cons

Although they pretend to be transparent and inclusive, upper management seems to be an exclusive club with little regard for staff satisfaction or retention. In their pursuit of short term profits, they make incompetent strategic decisions and have lost a lot of extremely talented staff to competitors.

Advice to Management

See above. Listen to your staff.

UnitedHealth Group2013-05-07

"Very heads-down"

IT Project Manager in Eden Prairie, MN
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group for less than a year

Pros

I will preface this review with a statement you need to heed when reading this review as well as any reviews for this company -- "It depends on your area." This is a GIGANTIC company and YMMV depending on your group. Keep that in mind when reading. Anyway, I've been here only 6 months, but I think I have enough of a feel for Optum to write a review. The positives: Great work/life balance: I never have to... stay late, work on weekends, etc. I get 23 vacation days and my manager encourages me to use them AND completely unplug while away. Beautiful office: I work at the new Optum office in Eden Prairie. Building is modern and comfortable. Full size gym and locker room, and workout classes. Great parking ramp with a skyway so you never need to go outside in the rain or snow! Work from home: VERY progressive with WFH! I can work from wherever I want. if I want to WFH one day, I can. If I want to WFH the whole week, I can do that, too. No one questions you. Total autonomy No drama: This is a very heads down place! I can't stress that enough. No one socializes with each other -- most of the time, you never even talk to your cube neighbors (because they're probably working from home). This is a positive for me though -- after working in some high drama offices, this is a refreshing change. All meetings are over webex: Great news if you hate in-person meetings like I do -- because there are very few! In the 6 months I've been here, I've had 4 in person meetings. This is also a con because you never meet your coworkers - read the con list for more info. 30 minute "best practice" meeting times: You will not get invited to 2+ hour meetings, ever. Nearly all meetings are only 30 minutes. You might have the one-off meeting that's an hour, but it's rare. Good, standardized PM practices. But some of the documentation requirements are too rigid and can slow progress down. Our group is trying to move to 100% agile. Slowly.... All of my projects so far have been waterfall SDLC. Although as a new person, it would help to have a PM to shadow on some of these documentation/audit practices. I've had to learn as I go. - Great cafeteria with cheap prices. I can get a lunch here cheaper than I can bring it from home. -Very engaging training classes!!! All training classes are over LearnSource (i.e. your computer) but the videos are well done and entertaining.

Cons

-Building seems empty because so many people WFH. It's almost kind of...sad. Such a nice building but no one is there. -Internet explorer is the browser of choice. Yuck. You have to have special permissions to download Google Chrome or Firefox on your computer. -If you like socializing with your coworkers, this is NOT a place for you! I can't stress that enough!! You will NOT meet your new BFF here. Everyone... is very heads-down and focused on work -- no one chit chats about football or True Detective! You will not have coworkers stopping by your desk (to chat about a TV show OR to even chat about work). Most of my days, I don't talk to anyone in person. It's kind of depressing -- and I'm an introvert! There are no happy hours, social events outside of work, etc (this is a positive for me because I hate that stuff). -Lots of contractors. Not that it's a bad thing - I've had great experiences with the PM contractors. They obviously don't last as long as the employees, and there's more contractor PMs than employee PMs. -Difficult, as a new person, to know "who's who." There is no face-to-face meetings, so as a PM, it's tough to know who does what, since there's no face to put with the name. I struggle with this a lot, as I'm not used to this extreme of a "remote" workforce! -No wifi for your phone. Wifi is only available for visitors and you must have a user name and password. -Nearly all social media websites are blocked. Not really a con, but something you might want to know. You won't be browsing facebook at work! -LOTS of meetings. Sure, the meetings aren't in person, they're over Webex, but you will have a LOT of them. -Some "know-it-all" ego-driven coworkers, especially on the tech side. But this is typical of IT in general. I've witnessed this at every org in which I've worked.

Advice to Management

Get some org charts!

UnitedHealth Group2015-08-13

"Good company, great culture, needs process improvment"

Current Employee - Product Manager in Minnetonka, MN

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Work life balance Great senior team Fun team/volunteer and company activities Generous PTO Company cares about its employees

Cons

A lot of processes are old and have not changed. There are many instances where the old processes can not keep up with the company's growth. Like any other large companies, there are many moving parts that can be hard to keep track of. Can be very difficult to move within the company internally.

UnitedHealth Group2019-04-25