Hays Reviews | Glassdoor.com.au

3.8
Hays CEO Alistair R. Cox
Alistair R. Cox
1,238 Ratings
Pros
  • "Career progression are very transparent(in 139 reviews)

• "It is definitely a work hard play hard type of company and colleagues quickly become friends(in 137 reviews)

Cons
  • "Long hours but can be rewarding(in 431 reviews)

• "Only con is that it can sometimes be long working hours however you find that you are so busy you need them(in 128 reviews)

1. "Team of the year 2018/19 and getting better!"

Current Employee - Senior Manager in Geelong

I have been working at Hays full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

We have a fantastic team of 15 in Geelong and growing, with an office expansion set for late 2019. We have opened a brand new Ballarat office in Nov 18 with 3 people and are set to open Bendigo in Oct 19 with 2 people. Such a great culture, supportive, collaborative and high achieving.

Cons

I work five minutes from home and five minutes from the beach, no CONS from me!

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work!

Hays2019-08-01

Hays Response

September 10, 2019HR Coordinator

We are thrilled to hear about your 5 star experience with Hays and highlighting our continued growth and our supportive, meritocratic culture! Thank you for your review and for sharing a snapshot of your Hays Story so far.

2. "Great job"

Current Employee - Associate Consultant in Perth, Western Australia

I have been working at Hays full-time for less than a year

Pros

Training, team and company culture, support and guidance to succeed. As long as you do what your managers say and ask questions and help you will get the results

Cons

Base salary low, although there is commission it can take a few months to get there so its keeping that in mind.

Hays2019-10-14
  3. "A good work/life balance"

Former Employee - Credit Controller in Sydney

I worked at Hays full-time for less than a year

Pros

Bonus incentive, relaxed work environment

Cons

None I can think of

Hays2019-10-12
  4. "Long term career opportunities and great at celebrating success"

Current Employee - Manager in Melbourne

I have been working at Hays full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Long term career progression opportunities and great at celebrating success. Very supportive Senior Management.

Cons

Luckily my team has a fantastic culture, but I know the culture isn't necessarily consistent throughout the entire business as a whole.

Advice to Management

I happen to have one of the best managers within the business, who also happens to be the best manager I've had throughout my entire career. I've learnt so much from my manager and he has enabled me to create my own management style, which without his help I wouldn't have been capable of doing.

Hays2019-10-09
  5. "Great place to start your corporate sales career."

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Sydney

I have been working at Hays full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Training, development opportunities, culture, people.

Cons

As with any business, there are those who sit within management positions that are very out of touch and deluded. Have seen many good consultant leave the business due to poor management styles.

Advice to Management

Don't stop investing in management. Give managers open and honest feedback via exit interviews & etc instead of "protecting them" but telling them only what they want to hear.

Hays2019-09-23
  6. "Hit and miss depending on the team"

Current Employee - Administrator in Melbourne
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at Hays full-time for more than a year

Pros

Most of the teams have a great culture and it’s a very success driven company. Most managers are flexible and supportive as well. It’s a great place to work for a backpacker as the work doesn’t follow you home and you’re surrounded by other backpackers so you make friends easily. You can move around easily as well.

Cons

The pay is well below other agencies and work from home is not an option for the full time staff. For consultants, the commission is quite hard to build up so they don’t earn too much. It can be quite hard to fit in sometimes as it’s mostly people from the UK and understandably there are cultural differences but after time, it gets better.

Advice to Management

Take more time to look after your admin/support staff as they are the backbone of the company. Whether it be better pay or more rewards/incentives, we feel left out a lot of the time.

Hays2019-10-02

"Ok place to work"

Former Employee - Associate in Brisbane

I worked at Hays full-time for more than a year

Pros

Team culture- people Hays recruit are always same type, funny,outgoing and sociable

Cons

Base pay is not great, takes a long time to build commission. Dont get to pick what you recruit for, training is not what its cracked up to be. Long hours and no flexibility

Hays2019-09-25

"Great place to start a career"

Current Employee - Team Manager in Canberra

I have been working at Hays full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Amazing team culture operationally, and there is a lot of support when you're successful

Cons

Cabal of leadership hasn't changed in many years and is stagnant. You won't see much of the money you earn for Hays.

Advice to Management

Innovation requires risk and trying new things.

Hays2019-09-25

"Celebrating Success is never a downfall; Adaptablity to employees and local market needs improving."

Former Employee - Recruitment Consultant in Sydney

I worked at Hays full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good training, make a lot of good friends, good starting point for a sales career, celebrate success really well - name is up in lights if you are a high performer and it is motivating.

Cons

No flexibility what so ever, no working from home, very rigid hours and days (if your in 15 min later; being asked to stay back 30 mins; giving up lunch breaks for meetings because your boss says you have to), clock-watching, micromanagement even to high performers sometimes, majority of managers don't have the required skillset to be a manager, if you are not from the UK; when you speak about flexibility or asking... them not to micro-manage when unnecessary, they just say 'this is how we do it in the UK but' - not very adaptable to the Australian market.

Advice to Management

The Pro's at Hays are huge and really needs to be reinforced, however the Cons at this stage heavily outweigh the pros. Take people seriously when they have concerns, don't make people managers because they are high billers, genuinely get a professional in to analyse or discuss certain questions with them to allow them to be deemed a competent manager (maybe more training), adapt to your market - you are NOT in the... UK. You are in Australia, therefore; invest in understanding this market and be more adaptable.

"Great while on WHV"

Former Employee - Administrator in Brisbane

I worked at Hays full-time for less than a year

Pros

A lovely bunch of people to work with for 6 months.

Cons

For me, too target driven.

Hays2019-09-08

Hays Response

September 10, 2019HR Coordinator

We are thrilled to hear that you are enjoying our team environment. Thank you for sharing your feedback and all the best with your future career.

Found 2373 reviews