TranscribeMe Reviews | Glassdoor.com.au

Updated 15 February 2019

3.2
Alexei Dunayev

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Work from home, or anywhere you have reliable internet and the ability to concentrate on your audio" (in 15 reviews)

• "Transcribme crowd workers have very flexible hours" (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • "Hourly wage is low when audio quality is poor" (in 9 reviews)

• "But since the summer time ended the amount of work has been steady and really I've only noticed lulls on holidays" (in 5 reviews)

"Ok as bit extra"

I have been working at TranscribeMe part-time

Pros

Been working for TranscribeMe for about 3 years. It's mainly ok as a bit extra money, particularly as you progress.

Cons

I've been working for TranscribeMe for about 3 years and I'm still a bit confused at times by the rules/reviewing, too ambiguous/subjective and micromanagement. Lately I've found Rev a bit more worth the time and effort and money. There's more leeway for personal judgement and choice on there.

"Great Work from Home Job!!"

Current Employee - General Transcriptionist in Portland, OR (US)
    Current Employee - General Transcriptionist in Portland, OR (US)

I have been working at TranscribeMe part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Okay, I was definitely hesitant about this at first. I have been looking into different side jobs that I can do from my house or from my college campus and I've found a Lot of scams that try to present themselves as real opportunities. I really like doing transcription work and thought I'd give Transcribeme a chance, and they are actually legit! They don't ask for a lot of personal info unless you want to move up in the job (and even then it's just a photo, birth name and DOB). There's not any type of interview process, which is why I was hesitant, but you take two exams: one to qualify for the job and one to prove you understand English grammar and the style of transcribing that they want. Once you pass you can start taking jobs that are usually about 2-4 min long and for the most part it's easy, simple, and fun. Great for when you're bored at school between classes or have some extra free time at home.
    What really proved to me that this was something legitimate and was also just really helpful, was Yammer, which is the social media platform they use. They'll send you an invite when you're hired and all of the employees of TM are signed up and there are groups you can join to talk to each other about questions you have or just general fun or interesting things. Seeing my actual "coworkers" was really cool and any questions you may have about the job can be answered there.

Cons

Many times when I have free time and want to do some work there won't actually be anything available. You just have to keep refreshing the page and hope to get something. Sometimes that takes a few minutes, but sometimes can be hours or days long. This job is not super steady when doing general transcription because of this. But you can take exams and move up to other positions that give you more work.
    Also, the pay rate is per audio hour, like a lot of other reviewers said. This can for sure add up, but depending on how slow you are (which you probably will be if you're new. I spent 40 min on a 2 minute audio clip in my first few days), the pay may actually average to around $1 or $2/hour, which is not going to sustain you or your family. I've heard of people making a living out of this but it takes a lot of work and a lot of time.

Advice to Management

I would love for the pay to be per hour. I love this job so far but having a base rate of even $5/hr would make spending 40 minutes on a single file feel a lot better.

"Qualification exam is completely bogus"

Former Employee - Transcriber in Cleveland, TN (US)
    Former Employee - Transcriber in Cleveland, TN (US)

I worked at TranscribeMe part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Based off the quality and cohesiveness of the qualification exam, I don't think many exist.

Cons

Well for starters, the exam interface was very basic. Some of the grammar questions were kind of gray, meaning the right or wrong answer could be disputed. Also, the exam fails you even if you score a 100 on everything except for ONE SINGLE QUESTION. It would've been nice to know that before wasting an hour and a half of my time on this exam.

Advice to Management

Please make your qualification exam somewhat doable. Also, make sure the applicants are aware of what's asked of them, instead of them blindly going into the exam.

"Ridiculous Policy"

Former Employee - Transcriptionist
    Former Employee - Transcriptionist

I worked at TranscribeMe part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I can't think of any honestly

Cons

Refused to work with me when I accidentally created a second account five years after creating my first one. Wouldn't even deactivate the first one, just refused to ever work with me again. Their loss, plenty companies pay much more believe me.

Advice to Management

Actually work with potential employees that are trying very hard to be a part of your team instead of outright refusing to.

"The "entrance exam" is a scam. It takes hours to complete."

Pros

There are no pros to this exam that I can see.

Cons

The entrance exam took hours to complete. They find errors in the fix the sentence section that do not exist so then you have to take the ENTIRE test over again. What is their game?? It's really a waste of time. I wouldn't want to work for a company that is deceptive at the very beginning! I find it hard to believe that anyone can truly make money at TranscribeMe.

Advice to Management

Make your exam fair and stop being deceptive.

6. "too difficult"

I worked at TranscribeMe full-time

Pros

timings flexibility. I could work anytime I want.

Cons

the exams are too difficult and strict. I got blocked for using different accounts, I know using different accounts is prohibited but since the exams were too difficult to pass, that's why I had to use different accounts to work on my transition.
    If the pay was high, i don't mind if it is strict.
    when the pay is low, don't expect good quality

Advice to Management

Please do not be TOO strict. and the pay is too low as well...

7. "Good enough"

I have been working at TranscribeMe full-time

Pros

Decent pay after you pass some exams, money is transferred on time, best community and staff, work never stops.

Cons

you don't choose the files you work on they come randomly and they are extremey short, they range from a few secondst o four minutes

Advice to Management

Increase your pay rate for transcribers, try to make people choose the files they work on.

"remote"

I worked at TranscribeMe full-time

Pros

remote, work at home, flexible

Cons

not enough work and pay is low

9. "Transcribe me pays well."

Current Employee - Transcriptionist in Manila, Manila (Philippines)
    Current Employee - Transcriptionist in Manila, Manila (Philippines)

Pros

Transcribe me pays well. They give opportunity for first time workers.

Cons

You have to past their exam.

Advice to Management

None

"Low pay/ Job unavailability"

Current Employee - Transcriptionist in Glen Ayre, NC (US)
    Current Employee - Transcriptionist in Glen Ayre, NC (US)

I have been working at TranscribeMe part-time (More than a year)

Pros

You can work at your own pace
    Payment is prompt

Cons

Very low pay ($20/audio hour)
    Jobs don't come in often. You can stay for days without getting a single job to do.
    Most jobs come with a horrible audio quality, which might lead to rejection if you do it.

Advice to Management

Increase pay.
    Improve your adverts/ connections so you get more available jobs