Rio Tinto Graduate Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor.com.au

Rio Tinto Graduate Engineer Interview Questions

Interviews at Rio Tinto

3.1

Graduate Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT (US)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ weeks. I interviewed at Rio Tinto (Salt Lake City, UT (US)) in February 2013.

Interview

1. Received an invitation for interview via HireVue, which is an online platform where you will have record yourself answering questions. Standard interview questions. 16 in total, 3 min each.
2. Three days later, received a call for an on site interview. Had a 4-member panel interview, which was more like a chat than an interview. Was asked basic behavioural questions. However, had to start with a talk for 2 minutes about a safety aspect. Also had to explain my capstone project to the HR person in layman's terms.
3. Had lunch with one of the interviewer and two other engineers.
4. Taken to a plant tour.
5. I was also given a real estate agent who took me around the city and showed me around. It was very helpful when it come to the offer accepting decision.

Interview Questions

• Give us a talk on a safety related issue.   1 Answer
  • Describe your capstone project in a layman's terms.   Answer Question

Negotiation

I was given a very good deal. So there was not much to negotiate.

Other Interview Reviews for Rio Tinto

Graduate Engineer Interview

Interview

Submitted application online for graduate engineer role. Was asked to complete pymetrics game. There was no response from the company following the test. Received a note saying position cancelled after 45 days. Lack of communication and very unprofessional.

Graduate Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Rio Tinto in January 2019.

Interview

It was a Pre-recorded interview. It had a number of questions (5) for which I had 30 seconds to read carefully and 3 minutes to answer. You also don't need to take the whole 3 minutes to answer a straightforward question.

Interview Questions

• How is your background and experience relevant to this job? How can your projects help you in anyway useful for this position?   Answer Question
    • How do you usually behave when there's a disagreement between you and a partner in a group project?   Answer Question
    • "Tell me about a time in which you had to apply your strengths. What strengths where they and what was the result?"   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Perth, Western Australia

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Rio Tinto (Perth, Western Australia).

Interview

Phone interview/face to face interview with HR & Manager of department. If it is a site job, it is likely you will have a phone interview. If it is a city based role, it is likely you will meet with the hiring manager for a face to face interview.
    If you pass that stage, you will be asked to complete a Psychometric and Medical test.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Perth, Western Australia

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Rio Tinto (Perth, Western Australia) in November 2012.

Interview

Round 1 : Situational Judgemental Test
    The test is conducted by shl.com. just visit the website. you will find various mock tests.please give this test alone and without any external help. Else you gonna have problem in the further process.
    Round 2 : Telephonic interview
    The questions are normal HR questions.. Thoroughly read your resume/cv. It checks your communications skills basically..
    Round 3 : Numerical, Verbal , Logical and Personality Test
    shl gives you a time window in which you can comfortably give your tests. Again, they are not looking for 100 percentile ppl because they feel you will leave the company if you have such a high mind. Also don't score too low.. Practice the mock tests at shl.com and see where you stand. Your results in analytical skills should match your results of personality test. So keep this in mind if you are getting some external help in the tests.
    Round 4 : Group activity
    A group of 6 ppl is given a case study with time duration of approx. 70 minutes. Initially there is bit of introduction by the Rio employees about themselves etc. Then you are given 10 minutes to read a booklet which contains various facts about a mineral called riotintonite and a plant which is extracting and processing it, about its workers, their nature etc. Its not worth reading the entire document. Just read how many production line the plant has and what kind of workers does it has.. and then just go to the second last page and read beneath the heading " Key Indicators of Preceding Shift". Read the "outstanding Issues" and the problems related to safety. There are some clue cards (basically id cards) listing name, production capacityYou will then be given 40 minutes to discuss the issues and plan for the production levels, which operators should be assigned to which production line. etc. While you'll be discussing, the HR people will give dynamic informations about the sudden accidents that took place on certain assembly lines and you'll have to plan accordingly.. It basically checks your team spirit. Please remain calm throughout the group activity.After that there will be 15 minutes to write a brief summary to your superviser.
    Round 5 : Technical Interview
    Basic questions about your choice of field. If you are mechanical engineer , prepare about cavitation in pumps, what will happen if delivery valve is closed in positive displacement pump and in rotating pump ? A pump works in winters but not in summers ?
    Round 6 : HR Interview
    Nearly Same questions as in Telephonic interview. Just repeat those answers. They are checking whether or not you are replying in a coherent and consistent manner.
    Round 7 : Panel Interview ( FINAL ROUND)
    It begins with technical interview (yes again ! ). They ask about your internships, projects in technical details. Apparently, I was "too much interested in fluid machinery" ( I am pursuing Mechanical Engineering). So if asked about your core area of interest, just reply "i am inclined towards techno-managerial job profile." Then the panel asks you normal HR questions. I got rejected in this very round.

Interview Questions

• What other companies have you applied for ?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Perth, Western Australia

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Rio Tinto (Perth, Western Australia) in June 2012.

Interview

Quite difficult. Group interview, individual interview, psychological test. All of these components were completed over separate time periods. The entire process takes a very long time due to the sheer number of applications.

Interview Questions

• Team work, safety, problem solving   1 Answer

Graduate Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 10+ months. I interviewed at Rio Tinto in February 2011.

Interview

The process took from Feb - October.

It started with the standard online testing. Patterns, numerical test, and worded situations. After this there was a phone screen. This was pretty basic asking about leadership and experiences.

After a long wait there was an assessment centre. This consisted of a one on one interview, group activity (moving some blocks with lots of rules to follow) it's more about your group interaction than actual performance, an unprepared oral presentation on a list of their topics.

After this i had a one on one interview with the person hiring me.

After that i had a days site visit to meet the team

and only after that was i presented an offer.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

no negotiation power. The salary and conditions are set for a graduate.

Graduate Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Rio Tinto in November 2010.

Interview

There was a short telephonic interview over questions on the company and safety, followed by an online aptitude test. Those shortlisted were called for the 1:1 interview. The questions were based on field experiences in mines and exposure to safety systems.

Interview Questions

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.