Shopify Software Developer Reviews

Tobias Lütke
  1. "Love it"

Current Employee - Developer in Ottawa, ON

I have been working at Shopify full-time

Pros

Great learning environment and every one is driven

Cons

Not matching your experience to the role offered.

2. "Great company"

Current Employee - Software Developer in Toronto, ON

I have been working at Shopify full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great pay, management and work life balance

Cons

Nothing I can think of really

3. "Good Place to Jump Start"

4.0
    Former Intern - Software Engineer(Internship) in Ottawa, ON

I worked at Shopify

Pros

Food Benefits Climate Had a good team

Cons

Not much bad but not good long term prospects imo

4. "good"

Former Contractor - Software Developer in Ottawa, ON

I worked at Shopify

Pros

good working enviroment and people

Cons

can't think any bad of it

"Amazing experience"

Former Employee - Developer in Ottawa, ON

I worked at Shopify full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great place Work life balance Opportunities Good salary

Cons

Workload may not be shared equally.

Continue reading

Social Care

Thanks so much for the review. I'm glad to see there are so many Pros here, always a good sign! Salaries are consistently reviewed here to make sure they are competitive with the current market, and we do try to make your work environment as comfortable and positive as possible. I'm so glad you're happy here! What you mentioned about the workload, I'm sorry to hear that you've experienced that. You should not have to pick up after others, I'm sure you are busy with your own work! Everyone is responsible for their own workload. I'd advise reaching out to your team lead to chat more about this, feedback is a gift and I'm sure they want to hear more about where the team can be improved. Thanks again!

6. "Amazing company to work for"

Former Intern - IOS Software Developer

I worked at Shopify for less than a year

Pros

They have a healthy work culture Promotes a creative minded working environment Has an autonomous work approach

Cons

Sometimes the projects you work on may be a little daunting but if you're passionate about what you're doing, it doesn't really matter that much.

"Good on paper, poor in practice"

Former Employee - Software Developer
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Shopify full-time

Pros

Lots of growth and learning, lots of experience to be had.

Cons

Poor support for employees, politics and discrimination are ripe throughout management.

Social Care

Hi, thank you for leaving a review! I'm so sorry to hear you had a bad experience while working here. If you feel like your work environment is beginning to turn toxic, speaking to your HR rep immediately is the best course to take. Office politics can for sure be an obstacle; it's something we do our best to remove totally for all employees. People can only thrive in their place of work when they feel their concerns are heard and their needs are supported. Your HR rep can help the team identify the problem and openly communicate to resolve the larger issues that can lead to these politics Discrimination is not tolerated at Shopify, full stop. If you've seen it or experienced it, bringing it to the attention of your HR rep is the surest course for immediate action. I understand you're leaving this review as a former employee, so it can be difficult to get back in touch with your former HR rep. If you would like to leave more specific feedback for our internal team to review, you can do so here via our support pages: (https://bit.ly/3htj6v3). Thank you again for the review, I wish you the best of luck in the future!

8. "Great for early career"

4.0
    Current Intern - Backend Developer in Ottawa, ON

I have been working at Shopify for less than a year

Pros

Very supportive environment with a very structured internship program. There's lots of opportunities for professional development and intern events are SO much fun.

Cons

Compensation is questionable as it's subjective and unclear how it is decided. Definitely not always fair.

9. "Great workplace"

Current Employee - Software Developer in Stockholm, Stockholm

I have been working at Shopify full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Lots of opportunities to grow - Welcoming culture - Down-to-earth upper management

Cons

Nothing I can think of right now

Social Care

Hey, thanks for taking the time to post a review! Great to hear you are enjoying your journey with us, it's so important that you know how valued you are. Each individual owns their own development and therefore owns how they proactively work toward their individual goals and growth opportunities. We will not “prescribe” what a career path looks like, as that is an individual choice and should reflect the goals, interests and diversity of our people. Awesome to have you with us, here's to many more years!

10. "Best company in canada"

Current Employee - Web Developer

I have been working at Shopify full-time

Pros

Nice challenge, good environment and friendly teammates, good benefit.

Cons

Nothing to complain, I'm really happy here.

Social Care

Hey! Thanks so much for the review here. It's always great to hear when a current employee is so happy in their role. Being a constant learner is something we value highly here, so I'm glad to hear you have a role that challenges you and helps you grow. Your teammates and your work environment are also so important. You’ll have limited impact if you act alone; the best products come from a mix of ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is the path to collective impact. You seem to be on the right path with such positive surroundings! Thanks again for the review. Heres to many more happy years!

Found 91 reviews