Shopify Reviews

Found 931 of over 1,087 reviews

4.2
Shopify CEO Tobias Lütke
Tobias Lütke
Pros
  • "Flexible work hours and good work from home support(in 67 reviews)

• "Get to work from home, great benefits(in 47 reviews)

• Cons
  • "The experiences that gurus have seems to be very different from that of RnD/ other disciplines(in 28 reviews)

• "Higher ups preach "work/life harmony" (work/life balance) but you'll get side eye if you try to leave the office before 5 on a Friday(in 18 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
    1. 5.0
      Current Employee

Potentially the greatest company in the world

Aug 23, 2020 - Merchant Success Manager in Brisbane
      Business Outlook

Pros

I genuinely believe Shopify could be the greatest company in the world. I love this organisation so much and I pinch myself every day that I get to work here.

Cons

None. Nada. Zilch. Nothing negative. This place is the real deal.

2. 5.0

Best Company I've Ever Worked For

Jul 13, 2021 - Technical Sourcer
      Business Outlook

Pros

- It's the only company that's ever truly valued my skillset and actually taken my feedback into consideration. - Unlimited PTO isn't just lip service. I'm going to end up taking ~5 weeks this year and that's not including Holiday's or summer Friday's (we've been given all summer Friday's off...it's great) - Remote first. No plans to return to an office (this can definitely be a Con for some people) - Business is booming. I don't worry about getting laid off. My role continues to grow as the company grows.

Cons

- We probably aren't paying top of market in the US. I can almost certainly get paid more working at a FAANG. I believe we're revising comp right now, but I don't have particularly high expectations. Pay certainly isn't terrible, but there's room for improvement. - Senior leadership can sometimes come across as callous when addressing employee concerns. I get it to some degree (people complaining about work from home still when we've known about it for over a year, for example), but I think they could strike a softer tone sometimes. - There's a handful of people who have been promoted into positions that they simply aren't equipped for anymore. We've scaled quickly and hired a ton of great people in the process. As a result, you sometimes have really strong teams led by really weak Managers. This has definitely contributed to some (not all) of the attrition we're seeing

2 people found this review helpful
    3. 5.0
      Current Employee

I feel like I finally made it

Jul 18, 2021 - Data Scientist in Toronto, ON
      Business Outlook

Pros

- Amazing mentors, leads, and directors - Folks have cared about my growth - I've learned soo so much - I'm treated respectfully - I respect The Company's leadership and The Company's mission - My compensation is competitive - I love my work

Cons

- Really, my only gripe involves the working-from-home culture. I'm a social person so missing out on office spaces and meeting colleagues in person has been a downer. I feel like sometimes I don't know too many people. I get that this is the format during COVID, and I appreciate how The Company committed to the digital-by-default format so as to (eventually) make it the best possible experience, but there are growing pains.

4. 5.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

Success comes at a cost.

May 9, 2021 - Account Executive in Waterloo, ON
      Business Outlook

Pros

- brilliant, entrepreneurially minded people who are inquisitive - developed lots of great friendships with folks who achieve big things and are generally awesome - values high self awareness and constant personal development; if you're a junkie for lifelong learning - you will love the massive library of tools and general language used in work related conversations - tons of benefits + perks - great if you're prone to ADD/ADHD tendencies as things shift so quickly to trends and company hyper-growth stage in its business cycle; likely you will thrive as you really need to juggle so much and understand a lot of "context" - folks adapt quickly to this exciting space; lots of resilience building

Cons

- typical golden handcuffs problems faced by any big tech firms with shiny perks and paycheck - not for someone who wants structure - ^ yet ironically, there's a big emphasis of hiring mid managers externally to help with mgmt challenges -- there's a shift of structure being placed, and messages from top-down are not the clearest - people can drink the Shopify Kool-aid and there is a level of obsession and heavy hustle mentality instilled (i.e., people work long hours and stay online) in order to be successful -- insecure overachievers beware in order to balance sanity and health

10 people found this review helpful
    5. 2.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

No longer a great place to work for

Jun 26, 2021 - Web Developer
      Business Outlook

Pros

- Typically, teammates collaborate well and are happy to help others - Good potential for career growth, depending on which team you land on - Perks are okay, also depending on where you live

Cons

- Culture is going down the drain ever since the move to remote, not because of the remote factor itself but because upper management has used the pandemic as an opportunity to start looking at employees as resources instead of human beings. - *Massive* echo chamber at the top, upper management feeds on the Shopify koolaid. Terrible culture-decisions being made that benefit only upper execs. - Lack of transparency; Town Halls and AMAs dodge questions they're not comfortable answering. - Too many stories of sudden layoffs and rapid changes made overnight - Growing too fast too quickly; all engineers spend too much time interviewing (several hours a week) due to the high attrition the company is having. Non-negotiable.

12 people found this review helpful
    6. 3.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Some good opportunities, but know when it's time to leave

Mar 20, 2021 - Anonymous
      Business Outlook

Pros

-Shopify does hire some great people that are awesome to work with. -Compensation can be competitive for certain roles as a new hire, even if increases leave something to be desired. -Culture team has put a lot of effort into trying to offer something in place of the irreplaceable physical offices. -Very rarely told no when trying to take on initiatives, even when there's financial costs involved. -I learned a lot at first and there are some knowledgeable people that are enthusiastic to teach others. -I think the experience varies drastically per group. I might have enjoyed the work a lot more in another part of the company. -Remote work is even better if you're rich and want to join lots of the senior leadership down in the Caribbean.

Cons

-Some great leaders to be found in the company. But generally there's top-level leadership that loves gaslighting and completely inept middle management. -Constant "pivots"...ergo, lots of last minute changes and indecisiveness. Lots of effort spent here stagnating instead of working on great stuff. -The employee culture has become a weird mix of cult-like love for the company and toxic negativity and entitlement. -"Growth opportunities", typical health benefits, and other taxable expenses are sold as perks in lieu of higher compensation. If you got hired at Shopify you can get hired somewhere that offers similar or better perks along with higher real compensation.

27 people found this review helpful
    7. 5.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Genuine company that cares for its merchants (customers) as well as employees, alike!

Jan 24, 2021 - Junior Support Advisor in Calgary, AB
      Business Outlook

Pros

1. Great positive teams and trainers 2. Monthly budget allocation for books and reading material you'd like to purchase for personal or professional development and growth 3. Free work laptop, hugh 27" Dell monitor keyboard, mouse, USB C to HDMI adapter etc. Company lets you keep everything even after you stop working for the firm; only return laptop for security reasons 4. Fun place to work, fun people to work with 5. Great work life balace 6. They genuinely care about you, and in turn you learn to genuinely care about the customers (CX) 7. This is a company where anyone can do anything! Start off in CX support .. move into HR, IT, Finance, Data Analytics, Software Development, etc. If you excel in your current role and want to switch roles.. the company sponsors your education of bridging courses from local universities/colleges that prep you for your new role. Shopify is like a university in itself; a gigantic learning hub for anyone that wants to!

Cons

Can't think of any. But keep your lines of communication open with your lead/traininer. They are there to help you, but in a work from home scenario its not difficult for a misunderstanding to prop up. Then it tests your ability to turn the situation in your favour. As long as you are honest about how you spend the time during working hours and stay on top of your work, you will keep moving forward. Not a "Con" per say.. just something to keep in mind. This company is more rewarding that most others out there I have seen, and I have lived on 4 continents in the last 15years :-)

9 people found this review helpful
    8. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 5 years

Life changing

Jul 23, 2021 - Senior Support Specialist in Ottawa, ON
      Business Outlook

Pros

Good salary, great culture, great benefits and ample vacation time

Cons

Sometimes working from home can be lonely and having tools developed or improved can be arduous and like screaming into a void

9. 2.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Forget about career progression if you join

Jul 3, 2021 - Software Engineering Manager in Toronto, ON
      Business Outlook

Pros

Your work makes positive impact in the lives of real people

Cons

The company is desperate to hire senior talent, but always down-levels them when they are recruited. Recruiters and hiring managers make lots of promises that you'll be able to grow quickly, but those are all lies. The reality is that it is practically impossible to get promoted to L8 (sr dev manager) or higher. In an engineering team of thousands, only 3-4 people in the history of the company have ever managed to become Directors. Every single one of them was one of the "OG" (pre-IPO) people. If you joined later and not friends with the CEO or VPs, just forget about getting promoted.

7 people found this review helpful
    10. 5.0

Super Great

Jul 23, 2021 - Customer Support Advisor in Burlington, ON
      Business Outlook

Pros

Really cares for their employees

Cons

can be high stress at times

Viewing 1 - 10 of 931 Reviews