Uber Reviews

Reset
4.5
Uber CEO, Founder Travis Kalanick
Travis Kalanick

Pros
  • The environment is genuinely fast paced -- just look at how many cities we have launched in 2014 (in 18 reviews)

• Impactful work - you are literally changing the world (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance may be a deal breaker for some (in 47 reviews)

• Long hours; the office is growing very quickly (starts to lose the feel of being a small/scrappier company) (in 33 reviews)

Operations Coordinator

Current Employee - Operations Coordinator in Brisbane
    Current Employee - Operations Coordinator in Brisbane

I have been working at Uber full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Incredible company with an incredible team!

Cons

Huge hours + huge responsibility! Not for those without hustle!

Advice to Management

Awesome process. Great recruiter with a really streamlined process.

2. Can't imagine a more exciting co to work for

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brisbane
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brisbane

I have been working at Uber full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Uber is growing incredibly quickly and radically changing the way people move around cities. This is made possible by an awesome team. How many opportunities to you get to completely shake up an industry?! Dream job if you want to be surrounded by incredibly talented people and you thrive on ownership and autonomy. Every 3-6 months feels like a new role. Culture of innovation, best idea wins and helping each other no matter where in the world that person sits

Cons

Will be expected to work hard, but everyone is in control of their time - no face time culture. You will most likely go to bed and wake up thinking about Uber. Fast past is not for everyone.

Advice to Management

Never drop the talent bar - keep hiring the best.

3. Operations and Logistics Manager

Current Employee - Operations and Logistics Manager in Brisbane
    Current Employee - Operations and Logistics Manager in Brisbane

I have been working at Uber full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The opportunity to succeed is yours. You are given amazing tools and the chance to make a real impact on a growing business. So it is really up to you. The culture and the people are beyond impressive. I am impressed each day. Astronauts, Olympians, Facebook, Twitter, Google, Goldman Sachs, you name it and there is someone at Uber who has been there and came here wanting more. The feedback mechanisms are comprehensive and there to enable ongoing success.

Cons

You need to work hard and smart to achieve great outcomes. Uber is just like any other.

5. Global Office with a Powerhouse Startup Feel

Current Employee - Employee in Sydney
    Current Employee - Employee in Sydney

I have been working at Uber full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Super energised team, agile and inventive approach to challenges Incredible growth potential Great office culture The team works hard and celebrates milestones Awesome perks! Seeing real impact on the world

Cons

Distance from HQ can sometimes be a strain Some challenges around bad press, but proud to have an awesome Legal and Comms team who are always on top of it

Advice to Management

Continue to recognise hard work and align the team to common goals.

6. Chance of a lifetime

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sydney
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sydney

I have been working at Uber full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

i get to work with an insanely smart group of people on a very hard problem - changing transport in Sydney. Everybody is so motivated. City Teams at Uber are small so you get to be part of everything - In one day you could be working on marketing, analytics, meeting with drivers, a press release, interviewing new staff, meeting an MP, or literally painting a wall at the office.

Cons

The taxi industry is putting up a pretty big fight, so this grinds you down sometimes. Yes, we all work very hard but there's flexibility around how it is done: you can work from home or cafe or whatever and make your own hours if you need to be somewhere personal.

Advice to Management

Make it easier to share the good ideas between all the cities around the world. Be sympathetic to different circumstances in the local markets.

7. Uber is the best job I

Current Employee - Marketing in Sydney
    Current Employee - Marketing in Sydney

I have been working at Uber

Pros

I get to problem solve every day with a super smart, driven team. We're empowered to make decisions, execute and share learnings. We're improving the cities that Uber operates in - it's exciting to come to work every single day!

Cons

Hours can be long but they go very fast! There aren't enough of them in the day.

Advice to Management

Great job - keep it up!

8. Prepare to be Challenged

Current Employee - Operations and Logistics Manager in Sydney
    Current Employee - Operations and Logistics Manager in Sydney

I have been working at Uber full-time (More than a year)

Pros

No matter what your experience you will be constantly challenged at Uber. You'll be part of a young, vibrant and passionate team working in a pure start-up culture If you have an idea that will help the company, your only limitation is your own drive. You'll be exposed to a breadth of experiences you never thought possible. Monday's are never a drag since you know that each and every day you'll be learning things. Uber credits - travel in style and share with your mates Gym and Phone compensation

Cons

High expectations of the team from everyone Solid working hours with weekends common

Advice to Management

The next few years will be challenging as we try and maintain and grow current staff and bring on more. Let's not forget the value of the current members and ensure they're there for the long run.

Get in the thick of an international growth startup

Current Employee - Operations and Logistics Manager in Melbourne
    Current Employee - Operations and Logistics Manager in Melbourne

I have been working at Uber full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Lots of freedom; especially for the newer, international cities. Having come from a startup background I've had no trouble adjusting, just the right amount of oversight and high level goals combined with support from someone who has done it before. The pace of growth - this company grows month-on-month what most established companies do in a year. You'll learn how to scale first-hand Super transparent. You can see everything. As a data-nerd this is amazing. The data is the single best reason for working at Uber. Culture is awesome (for someone who's never done the whole silicon valley thing before, that's the experience you get). You are working with world-class talent. I've met a couple hundred people here, not one of them is a person I would not want to work with. People are passionate, smart and focused. Uber will make you a more capable employee, better entrepreneur and impart that ability to get the right sh*t done so no matter what you do or where you go next, you will be able to do it better.

Cons

Can be tough for detail oriented individuals. I'm borderline OCD (self-diagnosed!) and the engineer in me twitches every time I do the time-saved vs. time-taken trade-off in terms of "Do I write a script to automate this?" or "Do I set up auto-calculate in this sheet". Things are changing and scaling so rapidly that you'll need to be flexible on level of detail and really firm on making sure you use time as efficiently as possible Time (again for the internationals); you will never have enough of it. For the international operational roles Uber is still very much in expansion mode and it will consume all of your waking hours. Expect to work... a lot. But for the right candidate this won't be a problem. That goes for compensation as well. This isn't an amazing compensation package for the amount of work you do. If your sole metric is $ then this probably isn't the right role. If you want something engaging, consuming, amazing, frenetic and passionate then this is the job for you.

Advice to Management

Transparency, culture and communication is 5* right now and I'm confident that Uber is up to the challenge of maintaining that as the organisation grows.

10. General Manager

I have been working at Uber

Pros

Work with amazing people all over the world, tons of autonomy. Be part of one of the fastest growing companies in history. ~250 cities in just over 4 years!!

Cons

We do work very hard. Every person you meet will want to talk about Uber!

Advice to Management

Keep the standard of employees super high!

11. Marketing Manager

I have been working at Uber

Pros

Entrepreneurial, doing amazing things you are proud of, reputation, cohort / network of great people around the world.

Cons

If work life balance is your thing, then Uber is not for you.

RSS Feed </> Embed