VMware Software Engineer Reviews | Glassdoor.com.au

Found 151 reviews

3.8
VMware CEO Pat Gelsinger
Pat Gelsinger

"Great place to work that values quality of life and family"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Palo Alto, CA

I worked at VMware full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

VMware is a big company but in many ways had a startup vibe. That was great because the resources and infrastructure of a big company were there, but it gave most people I worked with freedom to work on many projects, influence, move around, and contribute in many ways. Plus, many things moved faster than they might at other companies of the same size. Perks were really great including bonuses, events on the campus,... opportunities, etc.

Cons

The biggest con is the annual layoff. During most of the years I was there, we were growing like crazy, beating expectations, gaining in stock price, etc. It was always positive and upward. However, every single January, it was known that there would be a round of layoffs, even when all numbers were looking great as they almost always were. Management called it restructuring. But, over the years, some really good... people were let go for no apparent reason. Then to add insult to injury, a week or two later, there would be a company quarterly meeting discussing how VMware was doing so well and is still hiring, but they had to make some changes. It always felt dishonest and the sympathy for those let go came across as disingenuous.

Advice to Management

January was always a nerve racking month and it completely destroyed any sense of loyalty to the company. I know a few people that completely changed their perception of VMware after a colleague of theirs was let go with no apparent rhyme or reason. Many people left shortly after as a result of losing loyalty to the company or for just being stressed out about themselves getting cut the next year.

VMware2019-06-24
  2. "Sr MTS"

Former Employee - Senior Software QA Engineer MTS4 in Bangalore

I worked at VMware full-time for more than a year

Pros

Technology, Perks, Worklife balance, Learning, Wonderful products

Cons

Frequent re-orgs, some teams have really good work whereas some are not

VMware2019-09-12
  3. "Good Learning"

Former Intern - Software Engineer(Internship)

I worked at VMware

Pros

Fun events Good Mentorship Good Pay and Benefits

Cons

Nothing to think in mind.

VMware2019-09-14
  4. "Great company to work for"

Former Employee - Software Engineer

I worked at VMware full-time

Pros

I loved working at VMware. The people are great, the job itself and benefits were awesome. The campus in PA is the most beautiful and the greenest office in the Bay Area.

Cons

I have no cons to share.

VMware2019-07-09
  5. "VMware Eastern Europe"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Yerevan

I have been working at VMware full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The professional and friendly work environment

Cons

Ignoring good performance from team members

VMware2019-07-09
  6. "Please don't join as a Contractor"

Current Contractor - S S E(Senior Software Engineer) in Bangalore
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at VMware for more than a year

Pros

Pantry, work from home benefits, location.

Cons

Complete burden on Contractors. Used to treat you like slave and permanent team members show off like king. Promised you that they would give permanent position but rather giving you permanent position would provide you excuses about your performance and nature if you have performed outstanding ,that does not matter in front of Team, Manager or Management. End of the cycle you will be sacked one day and new... contractor are hired and same things would continue. Uses to take interview like giving you permanent position. But Clearly only Contractors are the people who used to work outstanding. They hire (contractors) developers for testing work.

Advice to Management

kindly look into your full time employees performance as well.

VMware2019-06-27

"Decent job but not enough real development"

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Sofia

I worked at VMware full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The total compensation is pretty good, in particular for people working really hard to get the job done. For people looking for a stable company paying good money, without caring too much about writing new code, VMware is a good choice. Also, the company heavily rewards loyal employees and has a good culture.

Cons

In the vSphere business unit where most of the interesting things were developed in the past, today it’s almost exclusively about maintaining the legacy code. The management often count dirty patching as development, refusing to realize that the whole virtualization management infrastructure is irremediably compromised by technical debt. The company is making short/medium-term decisions in order increase the revenue..., without realizing that the competition is getting better and better. The partnership with AWS won’t save VMware in the long term, IMHO (but I hope I'm wrong). The company needs to implement a *much* better (faster, robust, scalable) management infrastructure. If I had to develop a service based on virtualization today, probably I won’t choose the VMware stack. Sadly, the core virtualization code is still probably the best in the world, but that's not enough anymore today. Now, the problem lies in layers above it and the competition is already offering solutions which scale much better. Another problem caused by this whole situation is that good engineers are leaving every day, choosing other companies because they're offering them more interesting jobs. As a result of that, the company pays more and more the current employees in order to keep them and often makes way too much compromises when hiring new people. This causes a downward spiral: bad hires hire even worse hires, at all levels. I really hope the company will change direction at some point, because I always had good feelings for this company, since the first time I saw their workstation running on i686.

Advice to Management

Be a little less conservative. Hire the best and let go the mediocre developers and managers, at all levels. Invest in the long term, by taking some reasonable risks. Keep in mind that the technology drives the business and *not* the opposite. Dream about making something great, outstanding, not about “doing kind of good” for the next 5 years.

VMware2019-05-07
  8. "Good people fun enviroment"

Current Intern - Software Engineer in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at VMware for less than a year

Pros

They are a very friendly company

Cons

It does not seem to good for young people.

VMware2019-03-29

"Layoff Layoff Layoff !!!! Everyone is scared from junior employee till manager"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Bangalore

I have been working at VMware full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Pay is good but you cannot spend as you don't know when your job will be gone. They have good tech events but enforce a lot of work which is difficult to participate.

Cons

Forget work life balance. You get 60% hike and laid off 4 months after that. Managers don't support your growth. Nonsense ownership model. You are made to work even in US timings to support customers. All Quality Engineers (QE) are threatened for job. Finally most important Layoff - they keep doing.

Advice to Management

There is a complete unrest from junior employees till managers. Give employees peaceful environment to work. Stop calling VMware - one of the best places to work for. Put a tag line under VMware. "Beware of Layoffs"

VMware2019-02-02
  10. "Amazing workplace"

Current Employee - Software Quality Assurance Engineer in Bangalore

I have been working at VMware full-time for more than a year

Pros

1. The best place to learn and experiment new things 2. Work-Life balance 3. Good pay and other amenities 4. Excellent culture within the organization

Cons

Nothing pop up at all

VMware2018-12-29