VMware Software Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor.com.au

VMware Software Engineer Interview Questions

Interviews at VMware

3.2

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at VMware in August 2014.

Interview

Very bad experience with VMware. I took the phone interview on Aug. They gave me an onsite on Sep. 18th. 10 days before the onsite, they send me an email and told me they have to remove me from the onsite since they realize I am a new graduate student. I have to cancle my ticked and reschedule all my other interview

Other Interview Reviews for VMware

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at VMware in September 2014.

Interview

30 min phone screen and a 4.5 hour full loop interview; mostly technical coding questions and some SOAR stories; The first 3 rounds were full coding and with hiring manager it was mostly explaining projects and design questions.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at VMware in October 2014.

Interview

It is a On campus interview. At first I take the online quiz on the Hackerrank.com. Then they managed a interview in the campus. The interviewer can not write code, only ask me a puzzle. And then ask me about the resume. The whole interview last about 30 minutes. And a week later, I get the result.

Interview Questions

• Given 25 horses, and 5 tracks. Only at most 5 horses can be in one round's match. Ask at least how many rounds to get the three most fast horses.   5 Answers

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at VMware in October 2014.

Interview

I had two back-to-back interviews with VMware on my college campus.

The first interview was with a hiring manager. It was non-technical and lasted 45 minutes. It primarily consisted of a brain-teaser question unrelated to software. This interviewer was professional and informative.

The second interview was easily the worst I've ever had. The interviewer was arrogant, impatient (to the point of interrupting me to ask the next question), and made it clear within the first 10 seconds that he had no interest in interviewing me. The first question he asked was a brain-teaser unrelated to software. The second question he asked was an algorithm question. This interview lasted about 45 minutes, and I fully regret not walking out after the first 5.

Based on this experience I would never consider working for VMware.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at VMware.

Interview

The process was essentially painless. I met the recruiter at a career fair, and we arranged an interview on the spot. The interviewer was running a few minutes late, but ultimately was polite and knowledgeable. The interview itself was very easy for the role I was looking at – iOS developer. At the end, though, I expressed my reluctance to work in Atlanta, AirWatch's only location, which I believe resulted in the company not wanting to take the process any further.

Interview Questions

• None of the questions were challenging. The most difficult, though, was, "describe the functioning of APNS," Apple's push notification system.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at VMware in October 2014.

Interview

Apply on career fair, got an on campus interview. 1 hour long. Questions are easy, basic data structure coding on white paper. Also some operating system question , mainly definition~

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, MA (US)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at VMware (Cambridge, MA (US)) in March 2014.

Interview

I received an email from a recruiter via Linked In regarding an "invite only" recruiting event to take place in Cambridge, MA. The event was to be held roughly 2 months from when I received the initial communication. I was told that VMWare was looking to fill several engineering roles "up and down the stack", and that they were looking for "every background" and "all experience levels".

After expressing my interest, I was instructed to take a 1 hour coding challenge via Interview Street (now Hacker Rank). The challenge was a single problem that covered basic data structures/algorithms and could be completed in the language of my choice.

After completing the coding challenge with 100% accuracy, I was invited to attend the event, and VMWare connected me with the appropriate people to arrange travel, ask questions, etc. So far so good.

2 days before I was scheduled to attend the event, I received a call that my interview would be cancelled. The hiring managers were looking for a very specific skill set, which I did not have. While all the communication I had received up until this point stressed that VMWare was looking to fill multiple different roles, and was looking for "solid CS fundamentals" and the ability to "quickly ramp up and learn new technologies", it seems the hiring managers were looking specifically for kernel developers with extensive experience in C.

I was very surprised to see that such a communication gap had occurred between the hiring team(s) and the recruiting team. I felt that this should have been caught much, much sooner. I had been in contact with VMWare for nearly 2 months! During this time I received very detailed documentation describing the general skills that they were looking for. That being said, I did appreciate them stopping the process as soon as it became clear there was not a match.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at VMware (San Francisco, CA (US)) in October 2013.

Interview

I was called by the HR. And the HR was asking personal questions in very diplomatic way, trying to get to know if I was married! It sounded very weird. Later had an technical interview and the interviewer didn't acknowledge whatever I was explaining, and mentioned I will be contacted within 4-5 days. Never got a call back. Emailed HR to follow up and never received any reply. Apparently the HR now is with drop box!

Tech question: few complex recursive problems and asked the output and complexity.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA (US)

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at VMware (Atlanta, GA (US)) in February 2014.

Interview

I started out interviewing on my college campus and thought I did ok. I was then invited to an on-campus interview and interviewed with two different people and thought they both went pretty well.

Interview Questions

• The questions where pretty easy compared to other interviews I had. Fibonacci sequence ( I did O(n) version),find the intersection of two lists, get all the leaf nodes of a binary tree. What is restful protocol.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at VMware.

Interview

I got referal from employee and got response after 2 weeks. They arranged a 45 mins phone interview. The interviewer was quite nice. I didn't manage to write the complete solution to the coding question but he let me send the code within 30 minutes, it could just for formality though.

Interview Questions

• Not so many difficult questions. At first some OS questions about thread/process, deadlocks, followed by a coding question that find the next smallest node in a BST then the given number. I was not well prepared though.   Answer Question

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.