VMware Technical Support Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor.com.au

VMware Technical Support Engineer Interview Questions

Interviews at VMware

3.3

Technical Support Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at VMware (Atlanta, GA (US)) in November 2019.

Interview

It was a 2hr interview. The first two sessions were 45mins, the last session was 30 mins. Each part of the interview process is with different people, you sit in a room and different people come in for each of their sessions. The technical part is the hardest part, I would say brush up on coding, SQL and general knowledge of Internet Protocols.

Interview Questions

• For the technical part, they give you a code to solve, then an SQL question and then a troubleshooting question. 45mins   Answer Question
  • the communication part is basic customer service questions and you experience handling certain scenarios. 45mins   Answer Question
  • the last part is one abstract troubleshooting question, like if an app on your phone isn't working what do you do or if you get a call from a customer saying they can't process payment what do you do. Then you ask any questions you have about the company and or the role.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for VMware

Technical Support Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at VMware.

Interview

recruiter contacted me first, i had phone interview, was asked to answer some extra questions and fill up the questionnaire, two weeks later i got the invitation for an onsite interview

Interview Questions

• I am about to take my interview and quite nervous on what to expect   Answer Question

Technical Support Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in College Park, MD (US)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at VMware (College Park, MD (US)).

Interview

Came in to interview on university campus. 45 minute interview with one of the software engineers. We spoke about my past experience, course work, what I'm looking for in a career, and why the specific position. Then I was asked about relational databases and a few riddles.

Interview Questions

• Asked about top four mobile operating systems.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Broomfield, CO (US)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at VMware (Broomfield, CO (US)) in October 2015.

Interview

The process consisted of a phone interview followed by a quick baseline test online. Afterward, I was contacted and asked to come onsite to go through an in person interview. This was done by two technical team members followed by two managers. The experience was very friendly and casual while still being professional. I really appreciated the fact that they were trying to get to know me personally rather than just coldly going through a set of questions. It was a very welcoming atmosphere that made me feel at ease to demonstrate my knowledge and passions without being nervous.

Interview Questions

• Explain VMware's products to me like I'm a relative who knows nothing about technology.   Answer Question

Technical Support Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at VMware.

Interview

Shortly after applying online, I was contacted by a recruiter who directed me to their online technical screen. This is not for the faint of heart! The questions on the technical screen span a lot of area and you are expected to know names and processes directly from memory (no googling allowed). Do your homework before embarking on this mission.

Interview Questions

• What is the maximum throughput for a fibre channel in a fibre channel switched network?   3 Answers

Anonymous Employee in Broomfield, CO (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at VMware (Broomfield, CO (US)) in April 2015.

Interview

Process started out with a recruiter reaching out and providing a link to technical quiz. These are pretty tough and require some decent experience to answer the questions in a timely fashion. After passing that I had to wait for several weeks before another recruiter reached out to setup an onsite interview.

The Onsite interview was pretty rough. My panel was 3 engineers who asked questions to get grasp of depth of knowledge. That was followed up by a managerial interview to see if you socially a right fit.

Interview Questions

• A computer is unable to connect a intranet site, walk me through how you would troubleshoot that?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Broomfield, CO (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at VMware (Broomfield, CO (US)).

Interview

The recruiter asked me some basic Windows questions after I passed that phase I had an onsite interview. Each Escalation Engineer there were 4-5 people had asked multiple questions based on a scenario to see your troubleshooting methodology. If they asked about a network printer what would you do to get it to work it would start pretty basic and they kept going until your ideas had run out. It differs between each department what questions are asked. There were no right or wrong answers. Windows troubleshooting skills are what they are looking for. If you pass that phase you will meet with the managers. They will discuss & recommend for an yes or no to an offer.

Interview Questions

• They expanded each question asked which increasingly was more difficult. They wanted to see if you painted yourself into a corner or if you could expand outside of the box.   1 Answer

Negotiation

They made an offer and I accepted.

Technical Support Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Broomfield, CO (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at VMware (Broomfield, CO (US)) in December 2012.

Interview

Submitted resume and was contacted by Recruiter within a few days. Recruiter asked me 15 technical questions that range from easy to advanced. Was able to get 13.5 answers correct which qualified me for the next stage in pre-interview process. Spoke to member of VMware Technical Support staff and spent nearly 90 minutes on the phone answering technical questions. Proceeded to do well on this round of phone screening questions and was asked to interview for position via Skype (in live in the North East and position was in Colorado). During each of the phone screens I was told to answer what I can because know one knows everything and do not try to make up an answer if you do not know -- very reasonable and logical advice. Skype interview consisted of speaking to (2) Sr. Escalation Engineers for 45 minutes and then followed by a Manager for 45 minutes. The conversation with the Escalations Engineers was not really technical in nature. If you have gotten this far in the process those core skill sets should be acknowledged. They asked (2) generic troubleshooting questions (1) Host Connectivity to the Internet, (2) Server keeps rebooting.
    Conversation with the Manager was more personality and behavioral based questions and as it relates to working in a team for a Customer Service organisation. Everyone was pleasant and professional.

Interview Questions

• Nothing difficult or unexpected -- gloves are off and everything is fair game during an interview, for this type of position, when the qualifications and experience required are so diverse. However, I do not like the improv approach to troubleshooting questions during and interview. If the problem written down and is not subject to change on the fly, because it is developing as the interviewee is asking questions, it may be a good tool for assessing a candidates competency.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Broomfield, CO (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at VMware (Broomfield, CO (US)) in November 2012.

Interview

A recruiter contacted me within 24 hours of my resume submittal. I had an initial phone interview with the recruiter, then a 45 minute interview within a week to vet my technical skills. I failed the skill-set test for the position I applied for, but they brought me in for interviews in another department.

I attended a hiring event about a month after the initial resume submittal. I had a 45 minute technical interview with 2 managers and then a 45 minute conversation with a team manager.

A week after that I received an offer, pending background check.

Interview Questions

• How to re-prioritize a process in UNIX (as far as CPU cycles go). Which option moves it in which direction? I remembered the command, though I hadn't used it in 25 years. Forgot the option details though   1 Answer

Negotiation

I was unemployed at the time so the negotiation consisted of me doing the Homer Simpson "woop woop woop" while rolling on the ground. I had the courtesy to mute the phone while I celebrated.

Anonymous Employee in Broomfield, CO (US)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at VMware (Broomfield, CO (US)) in November 2012.

Interview

After a rather stressful initial phone screening, I actually met with my soon-to-be team members and direct manager as a part of the interview process. They really took time to get to know me and made me feel very welcome even before I was hired. Once you get in the door for an interview, you will know right away if you are a good fit.

Interview Questions

• Name the main character of My Little Pony.   3 Answers

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.