VMware Staff Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor.com.au

VMware Staff Engineer Interview Questions

Interviews at VMware

2.8

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA (US)

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at VMware (Palo Alto, CA (US)) in May 2018.

Interview

Recruiter contacted me on linkedin and sent me hackerrank assessment to complete. I asked for 1 week and recruiter said okay, I submitted the assessment on weekend and emailed recruiter and the email bounced. Tried again with same result.

Apparently recruiter moved to a different company(linkedin update) with no hand-off whatsoever after sending me the assessment to complete. I wasn't in contact with other recruiters for the position. This was by far the worst experience I have had, at a minimum be courteous of candidate's time especially if you contact them.

Interview Questions

• hackerrack assessment with 2 coding problems and several domain specific multiple choice questions   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for VMware

Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA (US)

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 5+ weeks. I interviewed at VMware (Palo Alto, CA (US)) in July 2015.

Interview

A former colleague of mine was already working at VMware and he and I connected ahead of time over lunch at VMware along with a project manager he worked alongside with. This was where I was able to ask questions ranging from bad to good, and soft-ball to aggressive without worrying about my interview performance. We all decided we were excited about the prospect and wanted to move forward.

I came in during an interview event but was interviewed separately. I met my potential manager, potential tech lead, and several really great engineers. I was asked technical questions about algorithms, file system design, and a coding question where the focus was on not having bugs on a whiteboard.

Interview Questions

• How would you design a transactional file system?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA (US)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at VMware (Palo Alto, CA (US)) in March 2015.

Interview

Interviewed for a Windows Developer Position. Had a phone screen on basic windows kernel calls and driver development . Onsite interview went over projects I worked on and Windows Kernel mode and user mode concepts .

Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at VMware (Palo Alto, CA (US)).

Interview

Phone screen interview.
    On-site interview - 5 hours, engineers and managers.
    You can have follow up phone interviews after that as well.
    Interview with HR.
    HR is negotiating the offer.
    They are not in the rush, it's not recommended to take the first offer.
    Some folks had like a 6 months negotiation back and forth.

Interview Questions

• Know your staff, there are many experienced folks,
      be prepared to talk about what you have on your resume.
      Coding questions standard for industry.   1 Answer

Negotiation

They are not in a rush, products are not treated as mission critical. You can negotiate over a couple of months, if you have time. Be patient. It's not recommended to negotiate on your own, it's better to come as a part of acquisition.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA (US)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at VMware (Palo Alto, CA (US)) in February 2014.

Interview

I was initially contacted by a VMWare recruiter via Linkedin. After the initial phone conversation with the recruiter, my details were put into their recruiting database. Within a week I was contacted by 5 different recruiters looking for front end web developers for their respective VMware teams.

I picked one of the teams and had a phone call with the recruiter. After talking to the recruiter about my background and interests and confirming my interest in his team, a technical phone screen was scheduled.

During the technical phone screen, I was asked questions about my background, and then a few coding questions and UI design questions. The interviewer was satisfied, so I was then schedule for an on-site interview.

The on-site interview was an all-day affair, starting at 9am and ending at 4:30pm. I talked to 5 engineers and 3 managers. The engineers asked coding questions (design and code a Tic-Tac-Toe game, implement a LRU cache), algorithm questions (various ways to efficiently scan logfiles), and web UI questions (how to present data for different scenarios).

After the on-site interview, the recruiter contacted me with an offer at the Staff Engineer level, salary, signing bonus, yearly target bonus, and RSUs.

Interview Questions

• Implement a LRU cache that can be initialized with a max size (in bytes) and keeps track of the hits/misses.   1 Answer

The group wasn't the right match for what I was looking for. I was looking for a group with more Web UI expertise, but this team was comprised of people who were systems and backend oriented.

Staff Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at VMware.

Interview

Applied online for a position in Networking and Security BU...
    Twice the phone interview was scheduled and the guy never showed up.
    Very unprofessional attitude by this team. So I told them I'm not interested !!

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA (US)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 8 weeks. I interviewed at VMware (Palo Alto, CA (US)) in July 2016.

Interview

Initial introduction calls with a recruiting agent, technical phone screen, then an onsite interview event. VMware is pretty relaxed: during the interview event they let you have 15 minutes between interviewers and let you kinda ramble unsupervised through their offices. After I got an initial offer, they invited me back to their campus to have lunch with my future bosses/managers.

The process was made longer because during the process my recruiting/hiring contact quit VMware so the new person was completely lost.

The interview itself was awkward because multiple interviewers asked me how and why I'd possibly put job experience before getting a college degree onto my CV. This is the moment I decided I don't want to work here, no matter how much money I'm offered - ie very early in the interview process this employer went from "want to work here" to "will use them to boost other offers."

Interview Questions

• Implement a singleton   Answer Question
    • How does Spring initialize private fields with no constructor args and no setters?   1 Answer
    • In a non-directed graph, count the number of subgraphs (not necessarily fully connected, just subgraphs in general). Discuss why and how you'd optimize this given different number of vertices, different density/completion of the graph, etc...   Answer Question
    • Design a network file system: which operations of a POSIX file system are you going to support, how would you organize the hardware, how does the communication work, how are the files stored, etc... discuss all design decisions in terms of the CAP theorem, be able to spot hot-spots and single points of failure.   Answer Question

The interviewer attitude seemed very toxic and I had no intention of working near such people. Line and upper management was cool, but you don't get to work with them daily.

Staff Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bengaluru (India)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at VMware (Bengaluru (India)) in July 2018.

Interview

Direct call from the recruitment made me feel that it will be a smooth process and so was really optimistic. I was told about the position but didn't get any mail on the same. Well, i sniffed something is already fishy but anyways, went ahead. Huge confusion about the slot but somehow i managed it, waited for 30 min and all. It was fine and happens sometimes.

Well, even though i insist on the mail for a confirmation, HR doesn't care about it and for her, even the Staff position carries no value and so i said, its fine being the screening round.
    Screening round went for an hour and went well.

I hear from recruitment after 2 days or so, he was desperate to walk me in for a face to face and explained all the process. Still hard time to get a mail confirmation. But anyways, this time they felt to maintain the dignity of the position and mailed me.

I was all set for the face to face. I was told that all rounds will happen , provided tech rounds go well and it will be closed the same day.
    So you got the assurance that you will be taken care of , well i said, good thing.

3 rounds:

1. Python: Some hash maps, systems administration, some data structure stuff , in total, 3 questions, all well bowled and hit all good. Interviewer was impressed and its all done. Its a no frill show if you are good at python. so this is done in 1 hour.
    2. Systems engineering, same old stuff, no new questions, some ansible, but pretty much seen all of that. Nothing innovative or mind rambling. Done thing in 1.5 hours.
    3. Mashup of all rounds, done in 5 min , well i was surprised at the interviewer but anyways. I am fine with it.

All rounds were good and I have done well. Now the next rounds? Well tech guys don't have a clue as they don't have their managers and HRs around, they told me, I don't get this at all.

I asked HR, not a single mail from them regarding rejection or selection. Either they got confused at candidature or I was overqualified. Nonetheless , the whole process was pathetic from the start. I would say VMware has lost it completely. I don't feel going again for an interview with such a company where this is how they deal with senior leadership hiring like that.
    They may be really good but this time, they were just pathetic.

Interview Questions

• What happens when you click a URL ?
      Python questions
      Boot process and kernel internals
      Ansible and automation stuff   Answer Question

Staff Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bengaluru (India)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at VMware (Bengaluru (India)) in September 2017.

Interview

The recruiter from VMware reached out to me and asked if he can setup the telephonic discussion in a days time. The slot was confirmed and the interviewer called me on time.

The interviewer sounded fuzzy and I was able to sense that he is not open to healthy discussion but a kind of bookish interviewer. He interrupted me multiple times to either pickup a call or to answer someone in office. Certainly, it showed he was not prepared.The whole interview was pretty simple and lasted for 40 mins.

The interviewer started with asking the recent challenge I faced and went on to ask questions on BST,Blocking Queue and some basics of Java. The interviewer was in mood of finding fault than an engaged discussion.

The recruiter reached out to me after couple of days mentioning that my profile is not suitable :). I was shocked to hear this as there was nothing that went wrong in the process.

Interview Questions

• * Construct a BST tree from sorted array.   1 Answer
    • * Blocking Queue implementation   2 Answers
    • Weak references.   1 Answer

Staff Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pune (India)

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at VMware (Pune (India)) in May 2017.

Interview

1. A coding test on HackerRank. It had about 5 multiple choice questions on Java, database, security. @ coding questions for 100 and 50 marks.

2. Called for face to face next week. Gave two rounds. I could answer the questions. The interviewers seemed satisfied with the answers. But were concerned that I don't posses the skills they wanted (Spring, Hibernate). I asked a lot of questions about the company, and they patiently answered. The questions were good, but not very difficult. Overall I was happy with the technical rounds.

After the 2 rounds, the HR called me to tell me that since I don't possess the skills they are looking for, they have kept my profile on hold.

Following things disappointed me:

1. I had mentioned beforehand that I do not have much experience in Java, leave alone Spring/Hibernate. These are not mentioned on my CV either (But told them that I can learn any skill if required). If these skills were a must have for them, they shouldn't have shortlisted my profile.

2. The HR person did not even show his face. I was escorted to the interview room by the security guy. After the technical rounds, the HR person called me to tell that I can leave, despite being in the same office. That was really disrespectful. I took a leave from my office to appear for the interview on a weekday, and the HR guy can't even meet in person? And mind you, I have 10 years of experience. I don't know how they would handle freshers.

Interview Questions

• Solution for a search using any of the attributes of an object   Answer Question

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.