Capital One Reviews | Glassdoor.com.au

Richard D. Fairbank
3,474 Ratings

6,081 Employee Reviews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "The work/life balance at Capital One is unbeatable" (in 920 reviews)

• "Great benefits; they value continuous learning; open to internal job changes after you have a history of performance of course" (in 641 reviews)

Cons
  • "I didnt have a good work life balance" (in 203 reviews)

• "Performance Management is taken very seriously but employees are ranked in relation to other employees" (in 220 reviews)

1. "Best Company I've ever worked for"

I worked at Capital One full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Live their values, cares and invests in their people ensuring all staff get quality coaching and developing vs. checking a box, gathers insights to drive it's business strategy. Voted one of the top 100 companies to work for in the US by it's own people. Now that is an endorsement...

Cons

No offices in Australia unfortunately.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing. You have set a standard that most companies dream of... Well done.

2. "Good work life balance"

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Toronto
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Toronto

I worked at Capital One (More than 3 years)

Pros

Awesome culture and good work life balance. Not too much politics

Cons

Too many meetings. Development is out of scope. Backend dev can do mobile or vice versa. Red tape to get new ideas moving.

Advice to Management

Remove red tape preventing new ideas

"Could be great, missed opportunity"

Former Employee - Product Designer in Tysons, VA (US)
    Former Employee - Product Designer in Tysons, VA (US)

I worked at Capital One full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great benefits. Lots of travel opportunity. Great for some (not for everyone)— especially for people avoiding their families or trying to have an affair.

If you don't like your current team, you can often move to another one or relocate to another location.

Great opportunity to learn new skills.
    Some of the leadership is inspiring.
    Nice workspaces for some.

Cons

Gender-biased, misguided, disorganized, competitive structure, reorgs frequent

This place is trying to be a start-up with huge enterprise problems—it's awkward. Makes for a lot of wasted effort for people trying to get things done in an innovative way with business-side making the last judgment. Shiny object syndrome. Emphasis on PR moments over fixing real problems.

Performance reviews lend to a gender- or personality-bias when it comes to promotions. Women and/or introverts often get the short end of the stick unless they have a great/shark managers. I've seen the most ineffective game-players get promoted over competent and effective peers who seemed to get punished for actually getting things done and not wasting their energy dick-swinging or taking unnecessary travel. In effect, a lot of the people promoted do not make for the best leadership. Bad management.

Too many cooks in the kitchen with product or design, not enough project managers (or none at all).

Constant reorganization is exhausting and disorienting. Nobody knows what's going on. Deflates spirit and doesn't help progress.

Advice to Management

Pay attention. Don't just spend money on diversity & inclusion training — really implement some change in the culture.

Get organized. Lessen reorgs. Stop acquiring other companies before you can handle what you have.

You are not a tech company or a start up, just face it. Just be a better company, spend the money on hiring better engineers instead of on business people from failed start-ups who don't know how to work effectively in enterprise environments.

"C1's Performance Management debacle is reason enough to look elsewhere"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Richmond, VA (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Richmond, VA (US)

I have been working at Capital One full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Innovative Tech Company with good senior management

Cons

Performance Management is on a bell curve and your 1-5 rating greatly affects your career trajectory, salary and bonus. As a result, associates are forced to "play the game" of doing anything they can to appear to be a little better than their peers. This creates a culture where employees routinely take credit for other employees work including managers who are playing the same game as their subordinates. All in it creates a toxic work atmosphere.

Advice to Management

You fancy Capital One as a cutting edge technology company but your performance management system is about 20 years behind what cutting edge technology companies are doing today.

5. "Data Engineer"

I have been working at Capital One full-time

Pros

Career growth on different technology stacks.

Cons

Not well management on the project resource.

6. "Great place to work - Capital One"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Richmond, VA (US)
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Richmond, VA (US)

I have been working at Capital One full-time (More than a year)

Pros

1. Work Life Balance
    2. Continuous learning with continuous growth
    3. Great benefits for full timers
    4. Unlimited sick leaves

Cons

In my experience at Capital One, I did not get to work in same technology for a long time. Some times this is downside because if you are new to a technology and while you are learning it they will change your team or technology. I like to focus on one technology and want to dive deeper into it. May be this is just my thought.

7. "Great company to work for."

I have been working at Capital One full-time

Pros

Options for growth are available.

Cons

Compartmentalized growth opportunities, limited access.

Advice to Management

Consider broadening the customer base (locations)

8. "Software Engineer - overall great experience"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in McLean, VA (US)
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in McLean, VA (US)

I have been working at Capital One full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Work/life balance. People are great, smart, and easy to work with. Tech stack and opportunities within the company to learn more and new things and ways to get involved with what you are interested in. Great benefits. Fun environment.

Cons

Gets political when it comes to promotions, talent management, etc. Change in management and direction happens more often than I'd like.

"Full time software engineer"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Schaumburg, IL (US)
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Schaumburg, IL (US)

I worked at Capital One full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Treat this place as a university . Learn new technologies to put in your resume and use this place as your stepping stone.

Cons

1. Work pressure. No work life balance. Managers tell you that you should not work after 5 PM. But on the other hand, you have unrealistic deadlines. Agile is out of picture. Work is taken in chunks and divided into sprints. PO says “we have to deliver this in this many sprints”. In office hours, we have tons of meetings and no room for actual work. This leaves no choice and you end up working from home after office hours.
    2. Office politics - corruption, bias, favoritism at its peak.
    3. Incompetent managers and peers who are waiting for you to finish your work and then steal it and showcase as their own piece of art. After work is done, manager will say you didn’t do anything great. You are hired to do this. Everyone else is doing the same. What are you doing extra??
    4. No freedom to be yourself - just pretend you like Capital one in front of your manager.
    5. Team work vs individual performance management - all year, mobbing is enforced and people who want to take up something on their own are blamed in the retrospectives. At the end of year, no one knows who did the actual work. Only manager’s favorite guy gets the promotion. The least favorite might even end up losing their job.
    6. Idiotic meetings - two hours of useless meetings to come up with some points on blah blah which is not helpful in any actual work.

Advice to Management

Please stop convincing us that this is a tech company. This is not a tech company. When I joined capital one, I was told this is a tech company. But I see this is a corrupt workplace with corrupt people and only people who are good at politics are happy. Others are leaving or they are here because they don’t have any other option but they are unhappy and depressed.

10. "customer service"

I worked at Capital One full-time

Pros

friendly, comfortable environment to work in learned a lot about credit and banking

Cons

not great with advancement opportunities

Showing 6,081 of 6,451 reviews