Harrods Reviews | Glassdoor.com.au

3.6
Harrods Managing Director Michael Ward
Michael Ward

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Positive working environment, staff discount" (in 70 reviews)

• "Good discount, good colleagues and staff benefits" (in 32 reviews)

Cons
  • "The environment can be catty due to individual commission, long hours" (in 37 reviews)

• "No development or career progression" (in 16 reviews)

1. "Amazing place to work"

Current Employee - Retail Manager
    Current Employee - Retail Manager

I have been working at Harrods full-time

Pros

It’s a company that always strives for better and encourages its people to do the same. Great support network.

Cons

Low work/life balance in retail

2. "Hard work, little pay, recognition or progression"

I have been working at Harrods full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Staff discount Staff training Team Customers Staff canteen

Cons

Management Salary Role development Customers Snobbish

3. "Marketing"

I worked at Harrods full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- nice colleagues
    - decent discount

Cons

- no structure or direction
    - strict working environment
    - poor management
    - no visibility to other teams
    - no creativity

Advice to Management

- loosen up reigns on staff
    - provide structure
    - reduce expectations and be realistic

22 Mar 2019 – Director of Marketing & Communications

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review; we really value your feedback.

We strive to create a supportive environment where our people enjoy their work and feel valued. Your experience of... More

4. "Harrods"

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Knightsbridge, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Knightsbridge, England (UK)

I worked at Harrods full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There is something magical about Harrods - everyone has good memories of the store growing up. The store is beautiful and it was always look good on your CV. Discount is very good. Michael Ward is totally ruthless always seemed like a nice guy around the store and HQ.

Cons

Some Directors that have been there a long time are bullying, dreadful people that treat their teams like children. No flexibility, long hours, humiliating tellings off in the middle of the office, zero support and pregnancies are deemed inconvenient.

Advice to Management

Treat your people better. Equal pay for both genders. Flexible hours.

20 Mar 2019 – HR Operations Director

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review; we really value your feedback. We strive to provide an environment where all of our people are supported, enjoy their work and feel valued. Your... More

5. "not that amazing place anymore"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in London, England (UK)

I worked at Harrods full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Amazing social environment: you have lots of colleagues, everyday you meet different people and the staff area is great. The general environment is very dynamic, there is always something going on and things change very quickly.
    - 30 minutes paid tea break: it helps you to regenerate, to break the shift and to socialize
    - Possibility to grow internally
    - Staff discount is good
    - There are activities, courses , forums (e.g.: careers week, Christmas Ball, etc) you can join to socialize, to know where the business is going or to improve your skills

Cons

- Senior sales are paid exactly the same as normal sales assistant and THIS IS UNACCEPTABLE. They have more duties and responsibilities (for example, exchanges and refunds).
    - Sundays are not extra-paid anymore and also this aspect is not fair.
    - The new commission scheme is lower than before and demotivating. After the change, everyone noticed a big decrease in the salary and lots of people left the company or moved to concessions
    - Working on shifts in the long term stress you (there are early, mid and late shift)
    - The management is very strict, but on one side is understandable, we are talking about the most famous department store worldwide, therefore standards have to be excellent
    - Sometimes the job is boring and repetitive: standing all day, replying thousands of times in a day to the same questions ("where is the toilette?" "where is the shoe's heaven?"), tidying up the mess done by the tourists who just browse and mess the staff up without buying anything.

Advice to Management

Harrods is not the place is used to be in the past. It was a magic place, exclusive both for customers and employees. Now it's just a luxury shopping mall. The general feeling among the employees is that Harrods doesn't care about them, but just about money.
    Harrods keeps showing off it's one of the best places to work: it's true, in Harrods the conditions are better than in the other department stores or high street chains. But it's not because Harrods' working conditions are excellent, it's just because the conditions in the other workplaces are bad (3.7 out of 5 is not that high score!!!).
    So, please, put the employees at the heart of everything and compensate them more, because at the end of the day who makes the difference are them.

12 Mar 2019 – Retail Director

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review; we really value your feedback. We strive to provide an environment where all of our employees feel valued. For us to enact change I would like the... More

"Unfortunate dismissal"

I worked at Harrods full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Working in Harrods was absolutely dream ,I was working with big brands and learned how to give an excellent customer service and was given a Excellent Service certificated for my work that I love .

Cons

Working in Balenciaga accessories concession destroyed everything I have worked for in Harrods for nearly 2 years ,I was Top seller and did everything but manager did like me and was asking me to do his work (sending his daily reports)which I wasn’t trained to do ! So after 4 months he didn’t extend my probation period and let me go just before Xmas!

Advice to Management

Manager should give more time to new starters and help them and for Harrods it would be great to have a second chance ,just because my role is Sale assistant and that what I know best !

7. "Would definitely recommend"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Harrods full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great people, who are proud to be here.

Cons

I've only been here for a few months, so no cons to report so far.

Advice to Management

Keep investing in your people.

8. "Not a long term job."

I worked at Harrods full-time

Pros

As far as Retail goes, Harrods is okay. For retail the money is good, but commission is not. The discount is good. Staff benefits such as staff canteen and discounts on sale items is great.

Cons

The staff are generally not very friendly towards each other; they are snobby. Brand specialists are paid same as shop assistants so don't bother going for harder role. Some managers don't encourage development so no room for growth. Hours are very long (e.g. store is only open 11:30 - 6 on Sunday but staff must start at 10).

Advice to Management

Stop favouriting some staff over others - when this is done, rules go out the window and others cannot speak to managers openly as they feel intimidated.

9. "Its fine"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Harrods part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Discount isnt bad
    pay is also good

Cons

Customers are very snobby
    Store looks outdated in places

10. "Brand Specialist"

Former Employee - Brand Specialist in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Brand Specialist in London, England (UK)

I worked at Harrods full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Staff discount and career trainings

Cons

bad bad bad management, payroll mess ups

Advice to Management

pay attention to staff's well being, development and motivation

5 Mar 2019 – Retail Director

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review; we really value your feedback. We take your feedback very seriously and for us enact change I would like the opportunity to discuss your comments... More