Lovisa Reviews | Glassdoor.com.au

1.8
Lovisa Chief Executive Officer and Executive Director Shane Fallscheer
Shane Fallscheer

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Another thing that is good is the 50% discount on all of their products" (in 42 reviews)

• "70% staff discount - only once a month" (in 38 reviews)

Cons
  • "There’s too much of a focus on selling add ons" (in 55 reviews)

• "Significant issues in regards to management particulaly with regional managers" (in 51 reviews)

1. "Sales assistant - christmas casual"

Current Employee - Christmas Casual
    Current Employee - Christmas Casual

I have been working at Lovisa part-time

Pros

They teach you everything from zero
    The manager and the regional manager were the sweetest
    They understand that a person do mistakes and they encourage you to be better
    If you do well you get a part time job offer

Cons

no cons, the whole experience is very nice

2. "Career progression and life-long friends"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hawthorn

I have been working at Lovisa part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I've been at Lovisa for nearly 7 years and have always felt supported in my career progression. I started in stores and had the opportunity to intern in head office during the busy Christmas period. I loved the fast-paced environment and support I received from the team. Nearly 3 years on from my internship and I still love coming into the office to face new challenges (on a global scale!) and to see my work colleagues who are now my good friends.

Cons

It is a very fast-paced environment which might not be for everyone but common in the retail industry

3. "so so"

Current Employee - Stylist in Ringwood, Victoria
    Current Employee - Stylist in Ringwood, Victoria

I have been working at Lovisa part-time (More than a year)

Pros

good product, good discount, incredible team, great training, room for growth in the company

Cons

minimum pay, no overtime, higher management reluctant to listen to people on the floor, minimal hours for park time workers (3 hours a week)

Advice to Management

- listen to your staff on the floor, they have first hand experience with how the customers feel and what processes do and dont work in store
    - dont hire that many people for each store - give people more hours

4. "Nightmare retailer"

Current Employee - Store Manager
    Current Employee - Store Manager

I have been working at Lovisa full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

* discounts avaliable
    * you can make many friendships
    * you learn alot and it toughens you up

Cons

* poor pay check
    * they make you work overtime and dont pay you for it
    * they use you and throw you away before you get too expensive
    * they are morally bankrupt
    * they overwork you
    * high stress levels
    * your life becomes your job

Advice to Management

Do a better job and treat people ethically

5. "team member"

I worked at Lovisa full-time

Pros

-good discount made for employees
    -if you can survive in store you are set for the real world
    -the outline of the job is so easy
    -good distraction/ easy to pick up opportunities

Cons

-based on who is the best but does not make all team arise to this standard
    -bad communication
    - the company does not train their team members to be at the same level as one another
    - you need 3 weeks notice for last minute situations
    -they will go back on their word
    -they will blame you for the stores vibe and the work ethic of other employees
    -other A- list employees have been toyed with to the point as to their termination to the company
    - you would receive extra work that is meant to be done by higher management
    - employees get the bare minimum when it comes to wages
    - staff talk about you behind your back
    - staff will exaggerate information to make you feel self-conscious/ not fit for the role
    -not every team member is acknowledged for their efforts

Advice to Management

-do not claim you are honest with your team

6. "Poor professional environment for HR and recruiters"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hawthorn

I have been working at Lovisa full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There are a few really good people working here

Cons

This is the worst recruiting environment I have ever worked in and have been working 12 hour days for the past 6 months.
    The revolving door of people in head office and stores means we are constantly looking for new people, we dont even have time to fill all vacancies we are so under the pump.
    Senior management is of no support, if they didnt turn everyone over and make it such a bad place to work there wouldnt be a need to fill so many vacancies in the first place.
    Most of the girls in HR are from retail stores and have no real qualifications to deal with HR matters, like bullying, business ethics and contracts, this includes me.

Advice to Management

Hire qualified people

"Part Time Team Member"

Current Employee - Stylist in Brisbane
    Current Employee - Stylist in Brisbane

I have been working at Lovisa part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Lovisa is an okay place to work, for a first job in retail I would recommend starting off there to get your foot in the door in retail because they hire anyone - retail experience is not needed. But then start considering going elsewhere! I love the team and all of the girls I have worked with at Lovisa, they have given me the courage, confidence and support you would need in this position! Lovisa is good as they teach you how to work well in teams, how to manage teams, how to manage yourself and prioritise by given lots of responsibility needed in the outside world. Another thing that is good is the 50% discount on all of their products.

Cons

Lovisa does not many windows of opportunities for grow or development, you are told you are not good enough, in my experience (with other team members being told this at my store). You are also under immense pressure to upsell with everything and make budget everyday as well as selling add ons (an unwanted product to customers - made me feel bad when I'm told no but i have to push push push) as well as being forced to now to piercings despite this not being a job we signed up to it is now a KPI? Lovisa is a company where you will never be bored, there are so many responsibilities and tasks to be completed in the day and you will most likely struggle to complete everything in one day, it is very fast-paced and hard to manage - as a younger manager you will most likely be overwhelmed. There is also not many hours to go around for everyone - all shifts are mainly 3 or 4 hours shifts for the part-time girls and when opening and closing the store you are expected to come into the store half an hour early to cash up, close and diary management tasks without being paid too...

Advice to Management

My advice to Lovisa management would be... If you invest in your staff and provide them with good working conditions and benefits, they will be more likely to stay and radiant positive energy to others, at work, and reflect on the company when talking about Lovisa. I truly believe that your staff is your most valuable asset to your business, if you care about them and invest in them they will do well for you and your business, these girls are our frontline employees and they are who wear the product, and sell the product to the customers and managers are the supporters of this process and operation and should be able to do just that from behind the scenes! From a sales point of view, if you want to motivate your team to sell more product and make more money be able to offer an individual extrinsic reward and not say you get a $15 voucher to mecca, it needs to be more inviting and motivating to staff to be able to work hard for this and they WILL prove themselves to you! As well as providing regional managers and state managers that are customer focused not sales focused and can't get pushy or rude when targets are not met. I am feeling a back-stabbing vibe from certain regional and state managers and that should not be on in Lovisa, they need to be more understanding that we are all only humans and doing our best - some of these girls that work here are only 14 and do not need this stress on top of school work, keep work work and leave personal/gossiping out of it. I think this is a MAJOR issue and starting to affect individuals' mental illnesses, depression and anxiety as work is so stressful at Lovisa, plus whatever they are dealing with at home, in relationships, and in health, its not fair to put this onto someone. I think Lovisa should have more of an open door policy and acknowledge mental illnesses and have a stronger culture and support network to make their employees actually want to be there, be recognised that Lovisa cares about who they are as a person and how they are. We should be able to keep Lovisa being fun and relax, let our hair down because we work in retail at the end of the day and should not be mopey and not be hating our lives because of how you have decided to run this company!

8. "great"

I have been working at Lovisa part-time

Pros

made good friends within the company

Cons

some people are nasty and the culture is some times bossy

9. "This company is not good"

I have been working at Lovisa full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Discounts for all staff
    Dress fashionably at work
    Serve awesome customers all day long!

Cons

Ridiculous hours. Sometimes you have zero hours in one week and some you have 38 hours and end up working 10 hours overtime unpaid.
    Catty managers. Always talking badly about girls behind their backs or right in front of them. They always like to put people down and make them feel bad.
    Unattainable Goals. KPIs, sales, budgets. All impossible goals to meet and they hold you accoutnable to meet them and yell at you if you dont meet your numbers

In my second week I was asked to open the store alone and without training at 7:00am and also close the store at 6:00pm. I worked 4 hours overtime and wasnt paid for it. I also wasnt allowed to have a lunch break

10. "Was okay temporarily"

I have been working at Lovisa part-time

Pros

Fun environment because I love jewlerry

Cons

Gossipy management, rude and kept trying to act intimidating which just came across as rude