Squiz Reviews

Updated 15 May 2021

3.6
Squiz CEO John-Paul Syriatowicz (no image)
John-Paul Syriatowicz
Pros
  • "Great people who care, interesting clients(in 11 reviews)

• "flexible working hours(in 6 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Some very very talented people who were sadly let down by senior management(in 9 reviews)

• "High staff turnover mostly related to the two items listed above(in 7 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
    1. 5.0

Great people

8 May 2021 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great people, very friendly, smart, fun.

Cons

Tech stack could be updated.

2. 1.0
      Former Employee, less than 1 year

*Be warned* Avoid Sales & Marketing

12 May 2021 - Anonymous Employee in Sydney
      Business Outlook

Pros

- Pre-COVID and prior to new S&M leadership, the culture and morale was great. - The product set has potential if the teams were resourced enough to continue to build out functionality into the products and improve their customer's experience. - Interesting customer base

Cons

- Promises made and not kept to return paycuts (20%) during COVID only to delay until the next FY. - Toxic, political and uninspiring workplace environment. - Be expected to be under-resourced, with minimal budget and over capacity and receive zero recognition. - Don't believe any promises made during the interview process (career path, bonuses, pay rises, sales commissions, etc) - Poor S&M leadership - unsupportive, indecisive, micro-management, fear-lead type of management style. - Constant indecisiveness and flipping of business decisions (lack of direction from leadership team & board). - 'Bias HR' which doesn't protect or support employees when they come forward e.g. Allowing forms of intimidation, bullying, undermining, and harassment from team members and management. - The company seems not phased to stop the exodus of proven, result-driven employees (both managers and contributors). - Multiple rounds of redundancies (3-4 having already occurred) and clearing out of staff (expect there will be more in the future).

2 people found this review helpful
    3. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 10 years

Build your skills alongside great people

18 Feb 2021 - Product Engineering Manager in Sydney
      Business Outlook

Pros

Challenging and interesting work, great people to work with, lots of support, a culture of learning, and a constant opportunity to build new skills. Squiz isn't a place for engineers to come and coast along - you're challenged every day to produce great work, focus on customer value, practice new skills, learn from your failures, and support your colleagues. If that doesn't sound like you, Squiz may not be a good fit.

Cons

COVID forced a lot of change to happen very quickly. This has caused some confusion around roles and shown some gaps in teams that still need to be filled.

Head of People & Culture

Thanks for your feedback and glad you are feeling challenged and learning. Your advice is spot on and we know the right investment is critical to our success including for our Services teams. We are also working to ensure that we can get clarity around responsibilities and fill those gaps as fast as we possibly can with really great people. I always welcome a chat so that we really can hit the mark for our people experiences Thanks again! Helen

4. 5.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Great culture.

19 Apr 2021 - Community Manager in Sydney
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great culture people, lots of flexibility

Cons

None experienced so far. All good.

5. 2.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

Heed the warnings

18 Jan 2021 - Sales in Sydney
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great people who care, interesting clients

Cons

I shouldn't be at all shocked by the fake reviews posted here, but it speaks volumes about the state of the company at the moment. If you're looking to join, ask tough questions and be certain you're willing to jump in at such an uncertain time in the company. Why uncertain? As many others have pointed out, the company's direction changes constantly and many key staff have left out of frustration, or are on their way out. Squiz have had to make some big decisions regarding product and company structure, and neither has been managed smoothly. This has led to much of the uncertainty as things are in a constant state of flux, with no strong leadership guiding the way. Squiz needs dedicated people and a great culture in order to survive from here on, but there seems to be an us vs them mentality from the top which is counterproductive. I mean, read some of these 5 star reviews and tell me they're genuine! Rather than spending effort on your online image, pay attention to the staff who are like canaries in the mine. When they start leaving on masse, find the root cause. What's sad is that Squiz could be a great company. Unless things change soon, the decline will continue. If you're looking for a job here (and I get it, it's a tough market), know what you're in for. Don't expect much from the Executive, expect a high possibility of a stressful environment with low morale, don't expect growth, and don't expect market rates. If you're in sales, pay careful attention to the compensation plan before you join. All said, you'll probably work with great people around you, but don't be surprised if they're looking for an out!

12 people found this review helpful

Squiz Response

Thanks for your comments. I am sorry you’re so disappointed. We did make some big changes to company structure and have invested in the product. Through those changes, we have lost some great people and I deeply regret that. However, I think it is worth mentioning that even with the turnover, Squiz’s average tenure remains significantly better than the standard for our industry. Even so, I accept we could have done a better job at communicating and easing the angst. I certainly tried, but I accept it wasn’t enough for you and others. 2020 certainly made normal face-to-face interactions difficult and I think that had an impact too. Despite our shortcomings, I do think we acted for the right reasons and in most cases, we made the right decisions. I sincerely believe that our customer and everyone working at Squiz will benefit from the changes we’ve made as we move forward in 2021 and beyond. You advise candidates to ask tough questions when considering Squiz. I think that’s great advice. I’m also very happy to answer questions from candidates if that helps anyone make a decision as to whether Squiz is the right place for them. If you’re a shortlisted candidate, just ask People and Culture to connect us. To the writer, I wish you all the best for your new endeavours and I hope your next experience is more positive. Thank you for your time at Squiz. JP (short for John-Paul) CEO

6. 3.0
      Former Employee, less than 1 year

Good team culture, tech outdated

1 Mar 2021 - Developer in Sydney
      Business Outlook

Pros

Good people to work with, good culture and perks.

Cons

Tech is outdated, track billable hours to a tee.

4 people found this review helpful

Head of People & Culture

Thanks for taking the time to provide an honest perspective. We appreciate that people have felt challenges with our tech, and we have made significant gains in this space and continue to do so. We are also actively working on the work that happens, including standards and processes that will improve the work experience. We are delighted that you felt the benefit of the people and culture around you - something we believe is truly special at Squiz. Thanks again.

7. 4.0
      Current Employee

Heading in a good direction

13 Dec 2020 - Manager
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great people with amazing resilience and humour

Cons

A lot of change, especially hard during a period of pandemic uncertainty

2 people found this review helpful

Head of People & Culture

Thanks for your review and glad you feel the positive experience of the great people we have here. Yes, we have had a lot of change and we are focussed on continually improving Squiz. We know there is room for improvement and we are working on making that vision much clearer as well as enabling trust and empowerment so that it is felt throughout the organisation. I would love to discuss this further with you at any time.

8. 5.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

A great place to work

9 Dec 2020 - Senior Product Manager in Sydney
      Business Outlook

Pros

A strong product team enjoying some major growth under great leadership. I'm happy to be part of it.

Cons

No company is perfect, and with a lot of change underway there are some challenges but from what I can see they're all leading towards good outcomes.

5 people found this review helpful

Head of People & Culture

Thank you for your review and glad you are enjoying your experience as part of our Product team. Yes, there are challenges and we are working hard to improve and glad you can see that. I would welcome a chat on your observations and ideas.

9. 4.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Sales

12 Jan 2021 - Account Manager in Sydney
      Business Outlook

Pros

- Collaborative team - Amazing office culture in every location - Very supportive management

Cons

Product transition to SaaS took a while..

Head of People & Culture

Thanks for your review and glad you felt the culture was positive and felt management was suppportive. We work hard to preserve culture. Yes, the transition to SaaS has taken some time and we continue to learn and improve. I hope that you are hearing about some of the advances we're making in this space.

10. 4.0
      Current Employee

Going places and honing their focus

8 Dec 2020 - Product Team Member
      Business Outlook

Pros

* Ability to make an impact that benefits customers and staff * Most colleagues are great to work with

Cons

* Going through some big cultural shifts which may ruffle some feathers * Communication doesn't always flow freely

Head of People & Culture

Thanks for taking the time to review and Im glad you feel there is impact to be had. Your advice is on point and We definitely have things to improve on and communication is discussed regularly. If you would like to engage in a conversation then we would welcome this.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 121 Reviews