Squiz Reviews | Glassdoor.com.au

Updated 23 February 2019

3.4
John-Paul Syriatowicz

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Full of really great people that are a pleasure to hang out with every day" (in 9 reviews)

• "Free snacks and beers on Friday" (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • "Many of the poor management choices that negatively affected the UK for quite some time where driven by head office in Australia" (in 5 reviews)

• "Lack of career development opportunity" (in 3 reviews)

"Great place to work"

Current Employee - Web Solutions Consultant in Sydney
    Current Employee - Web Solutions Consultant in Sydney

I have been working at Squiz full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Nice open plan office, where you can easily walk round and chat to people... or fire a nerf gun at them.

- Lot's of different work - It's not the same work day-in-day-out, every project is different. We have so many clients, meaning we get so many different projects coming through. My favourites are the single page apps, where I get to use ReactJS!

- Awesome fridge with beer and wine... people love that in the evenings, especially Friday!

- People are actually encouraging!! That's a rare thing I've found with my previous employers. You feel that people are grateful for your work.... they actually thank you and say "well done! good job!". It isn't vital but you certainly enjoy the day-to-day more when it happens.

- Cool benefits, like the health fund (300 bucks a year to spend on anything healthy! ... I went with running trainers and a yoga mat)

- Around the office people are.....pleasant! It's in the 'Squiz DNA' ....'Don't be a jerk', which you can see when talking to people in general. I feel like everyone's approachable and friendly. I've never had a falling out with anyone at the office.

- Whenever you fancy a ping pong game, you can just step away and get super competitive for 10 minutes, which really helps with the post lunch coma on some days.

- Lot's of career progression - if you're willing to choose to be positive, be brave, take ownership of new, unknown and scary looking projects, then there are great leaders there who will see that and will want to raise you up to new and greater roles & responsibilities. The company structure isn't stagnant, they're usually looking for ways to mov things around and improve the structure, so there's frequently new internal roles available. I've always felt supported by the leadership in my career progression.

- Regular Squiz paid social events.... definitely want to stick around for when pizza is ordered!

- We do timesheets here at Squiz, which a lot of people don't like. You might not believe me but..... I think the timesheets are a good thing and actually help me!! You can document where you've spent your hours so nobody is glaring at you if you need to leave at 4pm. It totally supports our flexibility. I don't feel any negativity in taking a 2 hour lunch break as long as I chalk in an extra hour somewhere else in the week. This is unlike other companies I have worked for, which have a culture that slowly drifts into expecting you to work 9 hours a day but you only get paid for 7.5.

- Squiz is willing to pay for an awesome team lunch every now and again :)

Cons

- A few projects come through that aren't super interesting, e.g. just large websites. But then something awesome comes along that you can make into a Single Page App using react/redux/ssr, which is the real fun stuff.

"Avoid it. You would waste your time."

I worked at Squiz full-time

Pros

I made good friends.

Cons

Old technology, old mindset. Lots of talks about a vision that keeps changing.
    No process, no sales culture, no investment... I could carry on.

Advice to Management

Implement a proper structure, lead by example, invest.

3. "A standard digital agency with a good vibe"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sydney
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sydney

I worked at Squiz full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- nice people
    - table tennis / friday drinks
    - relaxed atmosphere

Cons

- regular agency with either too much going on or not enough
    - projects become too samey

"decent place to work, but has standard problems"

Former Employee - Project Manager in Sydney
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Sydney

I worked at Squiz full-time (More than a year)

Pros

They have some good staff the and good beer fridges and a range of interesting projects to work on.

Cons

Its a regular digital agency that has ups and downs with work load. Having worked a couple of years on different projects I quickly found that there were too many new ideas floating around and not enough action taken on enough of them.

Not the best salary around.

Advice to Management

Complete some of the ideas first before having 100s more

"Don't, just don't!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sydney
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sydney

I have been working at Squiz full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- I even can't think of one

Cons

- Your career will go backwards
    - You'll work with ancient technology
    - Nothing changes
    - Lots of talk, zero action
    - Management have no clue and are clinging to the past

Advice to Management

Admit you need help. Stop acting like a boys club and listen to your staff. Stop calling us 'Squizzers' and actually remember the names of the people who carry this company.

Squiz Response

24 Aug 2017 – Head of People & Culture

Sorry to hear that you feel that your experience with us has not been positive. We take such feedback on very seriously as we do want to create a great culture and experience for our people. If you... More

"Interesting place to work for the average folk"

Former Employee - Production Systems Administrator in Brisbane
    Former Employee - Production Systems Administrator in Brisbane

I worked at Squiz full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Start up feel when I first started working.
    Ok level of flexibility but not on par with magic quadrant alternatives
    Some really good opportunities for entry level folks entering the work force but if you're a gun look elsewhere.

Cons

Age difference culture clash
    Agency style work where billable hours take front seat to innovation
    Glass ceiling on innovation, if it works don't fix it mentality
    Inability to embrace process improvement and new technology
    Sub par pay
    Fragmented team across regions without daily stand up's across regions
    Complete lack of Product Operational Responsibility across OPS due to fragmentation of the OPS team across states/offices
    Upper Ops management completely allergic to Kaizen due to pressure to be billable
    Limited to the Squiz stack in self development

Advice to Management

Be totally transparent and look outside the box

"PHP Developer"

Former Employee - PHP Developer in Sydney
    Former Employee - PHP Developer in Sydney

I worked at Squiz (More than 3 years)

Pros

Senior management are top notch and really care about the company. This flows down to most employees with pretty good attitudes throughout the organisation. They have many offices scattered around the place so chance to work with people form different locations.

Cons

The work seems to be a little old school and behind the times. Working on large government and enterprise software can be more about meetings than solving interesting problems.

Advice to Management

The company needs to look around the industry a bit more to keep up with trends.

8. "Fantastic people, poor pay"

I have been working at Squiz full-time

Pros

Fantastic fun group of people to work with that make everyone happy to come to work. There are a lot of people working hard to make the company better.

Cons

Pay is the worst part of this job. A lot of people are paid below industry standard and it is proving hard to keep intelligent capable people in their positions.

Advice to Management

Work out the pay situation before more staff move on. Skilling people up on Matrix implementation is not an easy investment to make!

"Run"

Pros

An amazing group of peers

Cons

Senior management only in it for the buck

"Squiz - Great place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brisbane
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brisbane

I have been working at Squiz (More than a year)

Pros

Management allow a lot of flexibility to those that demonstrate that they deliver outcomes and meet deadlines. Flexibility like working from home/part-time hours/compressed hours etc are an industry standard which Squiz embrace. For some staff clearer deliverables need to be provided whether they are working from home or in the office.
    Very social, friendly and supportive.

Cons

Pay increments could be a little better.

Advice to Management

You are doing a great job - keep it up.