Squiz Reviews

Updated 14 May 2020

3.5
Squiz CEO John-Paul Syriatowicz (no image)
John-Paul Syriatowicz
  1. "Great Culture"

Current Employee - Business Development Manager in Sydney

I have been working at Squiz full-time for less than a year

Pros

The culture and people are great here. The amenities are next level, and the company is on the rise within the digital world stage.

Cons

I would say that sometimes the internal systems can be too robust, and tough to find specific information on.

Squiz2020-01-22

February 20, 2020Head of People & Culture

Thank you for your review and I’m glad you are having a great experience. It’d be great to hear more around your internal system challenges to see what we can do better. Please feel free to reach out to discuss. Thanks again, Helen

2. "What a great team, but senior management must step up"

Former Employee - Senior Systems Support Engineer

I worked at Squiz full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The culture at Squiz is supportive, vibrant, fun. I enjoyed coming to work each day to be with co-workers who became friends. We constantly challenged ourselves - everyone is very skilled and inspiring to be around. The Squiz DNA is apparent in everything that they do. I had opportunities to extend my skill set, and to travel interstate. I learnt a lot technically and also extended my "soft skills" a lot on this job. I became a mentor and trained new staff in our products, and I became very good at supporting customers over the phone, often being asked for by name by recurring customers. A complete turn-around to where I was before working at Squiz, I grew a lot thanks to this job. My immediate management was the best - technically savvy as well as good leaders. How often does it happen in IT that you can ask your boss for technical advice on how to do things, or have banter over the merits of encryption algorithms, or ways to enhance database queries? I really appreciated that. Also I really appreciated that I could rely on middle-management elsewhere in Squiz to have our backs (particularly in Melbourne), to Fight For Better, and to stop the BS, not be a DH, and help me to Find a Way (the Squiz Values don't pass Glassdoor's language censorship, which I find quite charming, and a strong Pro for Squiz, actually). Thanks to those Values being followed by team members, I was able to connect with anyone in the company for help on our customer's issues, and although my office was remote, we were constantly in the loop, and central to the day-to-day operations of the company.

Cons

Senior Management was not transparent, and it is difficult to discern the reasons behind a lot of the choices and directions taken, both technically and for the business. We were delayed for a long time with strategic infrastructure upgrades. Caused by a single individual with a lot of power and backing from the senior management. This cost the company a lot of extra work, risk, and money. After that individual left we were finally able to get on with the long overdue tasks. Still paying down technical debt because of this.

Squiz2020-05-14

"Good place to work"

Former Employee - Systems Administrator in Perth, Western Australia

I worked at Squiz full-time for more than a year

Pros

Lots of very technical and senior people to work with and learn from.

Cons

Even though a mature company, some questionable management decisions. Some immature policies around how they treat clients.

Squiz2020-04-21

"Business is going downwards very quickly!"

1.0
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Sydney

I worked at Squiz full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

- At first the team and the customers.

Cons

They have just gone through the second of two large redundancies in the 3 years of my employment with them. Getting rid of the only people who actually bring money into the business! Wouldn't be surprised if the business goes under in a year or less. If you want to be safe with your job, you had better make sure you are in the 'inner circle' as that will be the only thing that will keep your job safe! The company has no direction at all and is falling behind in the market very quickly. They will be lucky to survive 3 more years the way the business is being run at the moment.

Squiz2020-04-29

"Sales Representative"

1.0
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Sydney

I worked at Squiz full-time for more than a year

Pros

None would not recommend to anyone

Cons

Negative culture and bonuses are withheld from you

Squiz2020-03-10
  6. "Great people and emerging tech"

Current Employee - Technical Consultant in Brisbane

I have been working at Squiz full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

All staff are dedicated to our clients and getting the best possible outcome

Cons

Projects can have tight timeframes

Squiz2019-11-26

December 1, 2019Head of People & Culture

Thanks for taking the time to provide a review. It's great to see that you're experiencing our commitment to the customer in Brisbane.

7. "Great Place to work"

Current Employee - Site Reliability Engineer
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at Squiz full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great place to work - flexible working hours and a great team

Cons

Not really a con but, large learning curve due to lots of custom implementation.

Squiz2019-11-18

January 11, 2020Head of People & Culture

Thanks for your review. It's great that you have had a positive experience and feel part of t a great team. We trust that you are learning from the implementations, and we do believe that this will improve in the future.

8. "Nice company to work with"

Former Employee - Software Developer in Sydney

I worked at Squiz full-time for more than a year

Pros

Flexible workink hour, nice office

Cons

Don't have it. All good.

Squiz2019-10-31

November 3, 2019Head of People & Culture

Thanks for taking the time to review Squiz and I am glad you felt the office and flexible work hours were positive for you.

"Friendly for non-PRs, CMS tech has low market share"

Former Employee - Front End Developer in Sydney

I worked at Squiz full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Friendly for applicants with no PR or citizenship - Formal agile development process from design to production. New-beginners could learn a lot - Use jQuery heavily, and is turning to React - Good tutors and training programs - Free and unlimited Cokes

Cons

- No complete test processes and CI automation - Squiz Matrix CMS has low market share, so things in Squiz Matrix might not be used by you in the future - Many legacy codes and tools - Lower salary than the market average - Relatively heavy workload in Australia

Squiz2019-11-08

November 10, 2019Head of People & Culture

Hi, thanks for your review and I'm glad you have had some good experiences while at Squiz. We are investing heavily in Squiz Matrix and all of our products, and as part of that are introducing more modern development frameworks such as Vue and React across our product suite. We have a strong commitment to our growth and continue to focus on this including in US and European markets.From a salary perspective, we acknowledge we're not a top payer, however, we are committed to maintaining a position that is within the market median. Thanks again for your review.

10. "Good"

Former Employee - Software Developer

I worked at Squiz full-time

Pros

Very good working environment. nice people

Cons

Not much I think for now

Squiz2019-10-07

October 25, 2019Head of People & Culture

Thanks for your review and I am glad that your experience was a positive one particularly around the work environment and people.

Found 96 reviews