Cactus Communications Reviews

Updated 5 Apr 2020

3.6
Cactus Communications Co-Founder and CEO   Abhishek Goel (no image)
Abhishek Goel
Pros
  • "Amazing culture & facilities, Good work timings and option for work from home if necessary(in 52 reviews)

• "I think they do a good job of balancing the demands of their customers with the needs of their freelance editors(in 46 reviews)

Cons
  • "Paid electronically in USDs once a month based on number of words edited (not hours spent editing)(in 141 reviews)

• "a technical problem, it is dealt with immediately and everyone does their best to facilitate the freelance editors' work(in 89 reviews)

1. "Translator"

I have been working at Cactus Communications

Pros

I've worked with Cactus as a freelance translator for over a year now. Some of the pros of working with Cactus -Feedback on your work from senior translators -Ability to preview any assignment before accepting or declining. -Communication with PM when issues arise is quick, friendly and useful. -Flexible work schedule

Cons

Work is pretty seasonal, sometimes you may be overwhelmed with the amount of assignments other times you may have nothing for ages.

Cactus Communications2016-07-04

"Good opportunity as a starter"

2.0

I worked at Cactus Communications for less than a year

Pros

- great tools/manuals/documents for reference for new freelancers - good choice of work

Cons

- they do not like it if you over edit work (even though it may need it) so that it does not offend the author - freelancer rates were low - could never get proper access to a project manager if you needed help with any assignments - never got feedback (good or bad) during employment until the last minute when you were told that your editing was not on par with standards (how does that happen when you are judged by someone who is not a native English speaker?). You were also reprimanded if you did not take all the assignments given to you and judged and seen as inferior

Cactus Communications2018-08-30

"Decent work for students"

Freelance Translator
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Cactus Communications

Pros

I'm an undergraduate who has some publishing experience. The work at Cactus was definitely helpful, in that the nature of it still revolves around my field. Also, some of the papers are interesting, and the pay boiled down to around 20 - 25 USD/hour, which is pretty good (I've also seen some benefits from the current exchange rate.).

Cons

While this is in contrary to some of the other reviews, for me, at times, the work was excessive. I was completely exhausted for some time. Perhaps this applies to my department only, but given the number of names that appear as reviewers/crosscheckers, there is a severe lack of freelancers. Also, surprisingly, the original text to translate is often written very badly in the original language to be translated from as well.

Cactus Communications2016-03-11
  4. "SWE"

I have been working at Cactus Communications part-time

Pros

1) best team for the research ML

Cons

1) low salary wit old technique in ML domain

Cactus Communications2020-04-06
  5. "Exciting work"

Current Employee - Scientific Writer in Mumbai

I have been working at Cactus Communications full-time for less than a year

Pros

Challenging work; great communications and camaraderie in the team

Cons

No specific advice at this time

Cactus Communications2020-03-20
  6. "work from home"

Current Employee - Manager

I have been working at Cactus Communications full-time

Pros

work from home option available

Cons

work life balance is not great

Cactus Communications2020-03-07

Cactus Communications Response

March 19, 2020Head Business Partner

Thank you for your feedback. Please share any suggestions you may have with your HR or manager and we can discuss further

7. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Associate

I have been working at Cactus Communications full-time for more than a year

Pros

Cons

NA, nothing in specific, need to look through

Cactus Communications2020-02-21

"Hotbed for mental abuse, encourages bullying"

1.0
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Andheri East

I have been working at Cactus Communications full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good flexibility as there are options to work from home. There is free breakfast for employees. The HR team is really helpful.

Cons

The work culture is dependent on bullying others especially if someone has joined in new as people are in this company from a long tenure. The management encourages use of bullying and mental abuse to ensure that work is done with there is zero empathy to the claimed humane approach. This is true from top to bottom and all teams encourages such behaviour and makes the work environment very stressful. The fairness level is also low as on lodging complaint there is some amount of victim blaming.

Cactus Communications2020-03-18
  9. "Full steam ahead"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mumbai

I have been working at Cactus Communications full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

- Opportunities for everyone - No hierarchy. There's a chain of command, but collaboration is valued.

Cons

- Decision making can be slow

Cactus Communications2020-02-10

"Every coin has two sides"

Former Employee - Medical Writer

I worked at Cactus Communications full-time

Pros

Good policies, great team, nice infrastructure, out-of-the-world training

Cons

No work-life balance, too much politics involved. Non-technical people dictate what is to be done technically

Cactus Communications2020-02-06

Cactus Communications Response

March 19, 2020Head Business Partner

Hi, Thank you for your feedback. We would need to understand the context better on some of the areas raised. Please write to me at sunitha.sudhakaran@cactusglobal.com with more details. We are constantly making improvements and we will look into this.

Found 230 reviews