Cactus Communications Reviews

Updated 5 Aug 2020

3.5
Cactus Communications Co-Founder and CEO   Abhishek Goel (no image)
Abhishek Goel
Pros
  • "Extremely flexible in terms of work hours and work from home(in 56 reviews)

• "I can always ask questions about the work and the resources for editors are always being updated(in 49 reviews)

Cons
  • "Editing the writing of engineering and scientific research all day, every day is mentally draining in spite of the exposure to world-class research(in 147 reviews)

• "Editors on contract are not actively involved in the company(in 94 reviews)

1. "Translator"

I have been working at Cactus Communications

Pros

I've worked with Cactus as a freelance translator for over a year now. Some of the pros of working with Cactus -Feedback on your work from senior translators -Ability to preview any assignment before accepting or declining. -Communication with PM when issues arise is quick, friendly and useful. -Flexible work schedule

Cons

Work is pretty seasonal, sometimes you may be overwhelmed with the amount of assignments other times you may have nothing for ages.

2. "Is the review done by other freelance translators?"

1.0
    Current Employee - Freelance Translator
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at Cactus Communications part-time

Pros

The translation desk is polite and always respond in time.

Cons

I am suspicious that the review was done by other freelance translators who nitpicks on any possible variations in terminology or expressions to give out a bad QI score so they can outcompete the new freelance translators. Sometimes the terminology and expressions could be translated in more than one ways in the literature. There were times the glossary for the terminology was already provided by the client, followed by the translator but changed by the reviewer. It's frustrating no matter how much research you have done in this area before translation, the reviewer always finds a way to pick on you.

"Good opportunity as a starter"

2.0

I worked at Cactus Communications for less than a year

Pros

- great tools/manuals/documents for reference for new freelancers - good choice of work

Cons

- they do not like it if you over edit work (even though it may need it) so that it does not offend the author - freelancer rates were low - could never get proper access to a project manager if you needed help with any assignments - never got feedback (good or bad) during employment until the last minute when you were told that your editing was not on par with standards (how does that happen when you are judged by someone who is not a native English speaker?). You were also reprimanded if you did not take all the assignments given to you and judged and seen as inferior

Continue reading

"Decent work for students"

Freelance Translator
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Cactus Communications

Pros

I'm an undergraduate who has some publishing experience. The work at Cactus was definitely helpful, in that the nature of it still revolves around my field. Also, some of the papers are interesting, and the pay boiled down to around 20 - 25 USD/hour, which is pretty good (I've also seen some benefits from the current exchange rate.).

Cons

While this is in contrary to some of the other reviews, for me, at times, the work was excessive. I was completely exhausted for some time. Perhaps this applies to my department only, but given the number of names that appear as reviewers/crosscheckers, there is a severe lack of freelancers. Also, surprisingly, the original text to translate is often written very badly in the original language to be translated from as well.

Continue reading
  5. "nice place to start your career"

Former Employee - Medical Writer in Mumbai

I worked at Cactus Communications full-time

Pros

no office politics cool office 5 days a week

Cons

deadline driven work real high expectations

6. "Test"

Current Employee - Medical Editor in New Delhi

I have been working at Cactus Communications full-time

Pros

Good coverage of material in simple 25 question test

Cons

Too difficult for the average person

"Great place to work in!"

Current Employee - Associate Editor in Mumbai

I have been working at Cactus Communications full-time for more than a year

Pros

CACTUS is a great place to work in, especially if you are fresh out of college. There is minimal workplace politics, everyone is super friendly, managers are approachable and the perks in office are great. There is scope for horizontal and/or vertical growth in the company. Everyone is friendly and there is no dress code. Extremely flexible in terms of work hours and work from home.

Cons

It gets a bit tedious, to be reading and reviewing thousands of words and dozens of papers on a daily basis. But that's part of the work description Also, most days, your work tends to stretch on beyond work hours.

8. "it was good"

Former Employee - Editorial Assistant

I worked at Cactus Communications part-time for more than a year

Pros

good employer to employee interactions

Cons

sometimes it gets very intense and the breaks are few

Continue reading
  9. "Trust the negative reviews"

Former Employee - Associate Editor

I worked at Cactus Communications full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great pay. Growth. Free breakfast.

Cons

Horrible work - life balance

10. "Awesome company to work"

Former Employee - Manager Translation Quality in Mumbai

I worked at Cactus Communications full-time for more than a year

Pros

Work from home Well paid Employee friendly Great management Growth opportunities

Cons

Difficult to find any cons.

Found 246 reviews