Goodstart Early Learning Reviews | Glassdoor.com.au

2.4
Goodstart Early Learning Chief Executive Officer Julia Davison
Julia Davison

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Great discount for child care for staff with children" (in 4 reviews)

• "Relationships built with the children and families" (in 2 reviews)

Cons
  • "POOR pay, POOR conditions, LACK of resources in many Centres, TOO MANY cover ups, LACK of support from MANY directors" (in 3 reviews)

• "Absolutely no support or commitment from head office" (in 3 reviews)

1. "Education is Key"

I have been working at Goodstart Early Learning full-time

Pros

Above award wages, great Professional Development opportunities, flexible working conditions

Cons

Some processes are too long

"Not Flexible"

Current Employee - Education Assistant in Brisbane
    Current Employee - Education Assistant in Brisbane

I have been working at Goodstart Early Learning full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Easy to transfer from one centre to another centre

Cons

Directors are so much in workload and they don't have time to listen to the staffs. They are not approachable and bully other staffs.

Advice to Management

Find the right people in the right positions

"Assistant"

Former Employee - Assistant Educator
    Former Employee - Assistant Educator

I worked at Goodstart Early Learning part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Above award wages
    Staff child care discount
    Some staff were great to work with
    Apprenticeship opportunities

Cons

Toxic work environment.
    Management bully staff
    Costantly having to work back due to poor rostering
    Management harrasing staff when they are sick or have sick children
    Lack of resources for children
    Favouritism of certain staff members
    Cristicised constinuously and no support to do better

Advice to Management

Actually hire people who can efficiently manage these centres. Yes someone can have 20 years experience in child care but doesn’t mean they have the people skills to be in charge of a centre . Management actually spend a day or even a week on the floor and see what we are dealing with.

"Unprofessional, Bullying , Toxic work environment"

Current Employee - Assistant Educator in Bondi
    Current Employee - Assistant Educator in Bondi

I have been working at Goodstart Early Learning part-time (More than a year)

Pros

I enjoy caring for children and staying connected with families, I enjoy the daily work including the paper work even though it can be a lot. I enjoy the camaraderie that I have with a handful of professional educators.

Cons

A handful of very unprofessional educators that have created the negative environment filled with gossiping, rumours and lies.

Advice to Management

- Open your eyes to what is within your work environment. Be aware of what is going in instead of just sitting in your office. Get on the floor sometimes, you might learn a thing or 2.
    - During the induction process ensure that it is being told that there is zero tolerance towards bullying, gossiping and telling lies.
    - Follow through the anti- bullying disciplinary action with the perpetrators
    - Ensure that parties involved are accountable for the negativity they have created.
    - Do not be afraid to call a meeting an address the issue in front of all staff. That is the only way to make people accountable for their actions and to nip it in the bud.

"Senior educator"

I have been working at Goodstart Early Learning part-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Last year management was great

Cons

Not fare with everyone equally and different policies for different people

Advice to Management

Change the management

"Goodstart West Street - Horrible place to work in"

I worked at Goodstart Early Learning full-time

Pros

Great children, families and colleagues

Cons

A place full of bullying, discrimination and favouritism

Advice to Management

Would be great having random meeting with the staff in different centres

"Disappointing 🤯"

Current Employee - Educational Leader in West Melbourne
    Current Employee - Educational Leader in West Melbourne

I have been working at Goodstart Early Learning full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Relationships built with the children and families.

Cons

Built beautiful relationships with the staff in this certain centre. After a few years, had a big change in staffing and environment, now the environment isnt so joyful to come to, a few toxic personalities makes it very hard to spend 5 days 37.5 hours a week in, bullying is high in most centres ive been to as this is evident through the reviews on here as well as if you walk into any of the centres, it is female dominant so it is highly expected, it would be great to have a few male teachers and directors within the environment to balance out the aura as the atmosphere itself can be intense with so many females. Used to be inspired to inspire educators as dedication and aspirations have gone out the door. Too many expectations with little help to improve quality programs within the centre. Encouraged to attend meetings, conferences and workshops but bombarded with too much work and no pay raises but very high expectations oh and the paper work! . Doesnt make sense to put extra duties but not to pay the educators and teachers extra, mind you we are also apparently cleaners too, constantly cleaning, doing the laundry, sweeping yards, taking out rubbish bins because goodstart cant afford to pay the professional cleaners to take out the bins, mopping the floors, wiping down surfaces, wiping windows, cleaning the childrens bathrooms because theres urine all over the floor, cleaning ALL the toys because the chn LOVE placing toys into their mouths and we need to ensure we stop the spread of infections and diseases/sicknesses, changing experiences, observe chns play, build great quality relationships with the chn through our interactions, feed them, cuddle them, change their diapers, wipe their noses and on top of all that folks, we need to ensure individual observations are completed, daily reflections are completed, program reflections, critical reflections and personal reflections are done!, we are interacting with the children and finding ways to extend their learning/play/development, changing experiences around, making sure the paper work is also completed such as playground checks, sunscreen checks, routines are checked oh and you also got to deal with the attitudes you get from both chn and educators .. all of this on a daily basis. Have been told if you work over your 37.5 or 38max that you will be owed it the week after n sent home early( in my entire work life as a teenager/adult the hours ive worked i have always been paid for until i begun working for this company). Ratio to children is obviously out of our control as its part of the NQS although it can be annoying when you are over ratio and theres nothing you can do besides try your best to juggle if its over 3s 12 or 13chn on your own and if its under 3s you may have 5 or 6 on your own as staff tend to call in sick frequently and is not replaced. Crazy right. Yup and thats how accidents start and they wonder why.. oh not to mention we have no benefits..you get back pain as well dont foget that but no benefits with massage discounts or physiotherapy discounts no care for our health n wellbeing what so ever... i could go on but i may make a novel out of it.... to end the cons all i can say is.... have respect for earlychildhood educators and teachers as a lot of people have no clue what our day is like. We get told we dont need a pay rise... in our eyes we feel we deserve it.

Advice to Management

If only you knew what it is like to live and breathe our role you will understand.

8. "Casual"

I have been working at Goodstart Early Learning part-time

Pros

Flexible pay is decent

Cons

Work not garinteed and can get some really short shifts that don’t work for everyone

Advice to Management

Ensure you tell casual employees when you have put them on the roster.

"Don't do it"

Former Employee - Director Children's Centre
    Former Employee - Director Children's Centre

I worked at Goodstart Early Learning full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The children and the families

Cons

Bullying culture
    Profit oriented
    Management get cars, phones and laptops while staff scramble for supplies
    Won't hire extra staff so staff need to work past shift times
    No support at all

Advice to Management

Maybe you should rethink your organization. I still have nightmares thanks to your people.

"Want to make a difference but can't"

Current Employee - Educator in Adelaide
    Current Employee - Educator in Adelaide

I have been working at Goodstart Early Learning full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The children and parents and SOME coworkers

Cons

Too much favourtism, gossip, lies, unfounded allegations, if someone doesn't like you they will cause trouble for you all the time, management doesn't care about you. Profit comes first. If you are given a new shift (you are just given it without any discussion) and it doesn't suit then you are told to just leave. I get disheartened when I am treated badly like this, always couldn't wait to get to work but was slowly ground down. Went from full of energy and excitement to depression.

Advice to Management

They don't listen anyway