Holiday Extras Reviews | Glassdoor.com.au

3.8
Holiday Extras CEO Matthew Pack
Matthew Pack

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Flexible hours, can work from home, time banking all help with childcare needs plus a great working environment and really lovely people" (in 20 reviews)

• "The work life balance is pretty decent too" (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • "Call centre very separate to the rest of the company" (in 9 reviews)

• "The hierachy in the business is really fluid (which also has it's good points) which makes career progression a tough prospect" (in 3 reviews)

1. "Great, but always room for improvement"

I worked at Holiday Extras full-time

Pros

Holiday Extras has a great attitude to accommodating staff welfare – most particularly flexible working hours when it comes to making appointments, last-minute family priorities and general life admin that doesn't warrant taking holiday. The people are generally great and the company has a good overall culture when it comes to balancing work and personal commitments.

Cons

For all the benefits, flexibility, training and fun activities available to staff, sometimes you just want a salary and/or job title that reflects and rewards your contribution to the business fairly, because as wonderful as summer BBQs may be, they certainly don't pay the mortgage.

Pay and progression seem to be a very taboo subject despite the forward and progressive attitudes in other areas of the business.

Advice to Management

Pay reviews and the progression of staff needn't be shrouded in mystery – open up the system and bring clarity to your benchmarking process. The secrecy is frustrating and leads to contempt, and I'm sure even resentment in some cases, which should never be the case.

Furthermore, invest in developing the skills of your staff rather than relying so heavily and willingly upon external resources. Leaders are more readily and widely respected when they're seen to earn their position on their merit.

Also, more diversity on the board of directors is always welcomed.

Aside from all the above, you've got a great thing going and I was very sad to leave when I did. I'd 100% consider working here again in the future if the opportunity arose and you wanted me back.

2. "Good Employer"

I worked at Holiday Extras full-time

Pros

Really care about you and what you think about the company

Cons

Can be somewhat dry in the call centre

"Great in so many ways, but not as progressive as they think..."

Former Employee - Senior Role in Hythe, Kent, South East England, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Senior Role in Hythe, Kent, South East England, England (UK)

I worked at Holiday Extras part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I LOVED my time here, but it's not without its faults.

My actual role was brilliant within the creative team, I loved the flexibility, team support, and how transparent the company was with goals and objectives.

Progression is there to an extent if you're hungry and willing to adapt to the business needs, but you will find the ceiling quickly.

Cons

Money.
    Every single time I was promoted, I was given a below standard pay rise. So in effect, I was working a year on a previous pay and having to 'prove' myself to actually get the pay I deserved. Money isn't everything but not being paid fairly for your role isn't acceptable. I was only eventually paid the industry standard on deciding to leave. There's also an unsaid issue of hiring new staff in on higher wages than then current staff too...
    The constant business agenda changes are expected, but hiring consultants constantly who actually aren't good at what they do, and then demanding your staff follow this persons 'vision' is undermining the experts you've employed who actually know what they're doing!
    If you're a woman, you won't do as well here. I never realised it much, but as time went on and I fort my way up the ladder you can see it more clearly.

Advice to Management

Believe in your staff, and stop making decisions just based on profit. Yes, some of these decisions may make you lose some money in the short term, but you'll gain in the long term (Just look at Nike, the new demographic shift has paid off!) ... and please, stop hiring consultants that say 'YES' to everything to please you, it's the people who aren't afraid to go against you that you should listen to as they actually care about the business.
    The culture is great, but you'll continue to lose your staff over pay. If we can afford our mortgage or basic bills that BBQ isn't going to make any difference and is going to make us distracted at work over stress. Flexibility, and working remotely are now more common place, so you need to refine your overall offering to keep people.

I can't stress this enough, Matt is brilliant, he cares and is passionate, but you need to think about these cons, they're simple to fix, but they're also the reason people continue to leave and help other businesses thrive.

27 Sep 2018 – Deputy CEO Holiday Extras

Thank you for leaving a review. We’re pleased to hear that you loved your time at Holiday Extras - this is our aim for every person who works here. We were however sad to hear about some of the... More

"Great place to develop and learn"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hythe, Kent, South East England, England (UK)

I have been working at Holiday Extras full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I really enjoy it when I am working with Matthew our CEO, he's energetic, creative and really cares about our customers. You can also tell he really cares about me and my family.

There are some really talented people in the business, many have grown up with the business and been promoted along the way so there's a real depth of experience and knowledge.

The work environment is fantastic. Lovely campus, the best office I've ever worked in, gives a real buzz and collaboration is the norm due to the layout of the space.

People are respectful of your personal time. Email chatter is kept to a minimum out of hours and it's possible to switch off, recharge and come back in full of energy every day.

The business has a clear purpose which I really relate to: making sure our customers have less hassle and more holiday. Love that.

There's a really clear "can do" attitude and it's a vibrant, fun place to work. Lots of opportunity to get involved in projects, initiatives and mix with people from different teams.

Personal development is encouraged and supported; I feel like I've learned a lot here and will continue to do so. I can see myself staying for a long time.

Cons

Not really a con as such but you do need be prepared to get stuck in to figure out how things work and how you can get things done, it suits someone who is prepared to apply themselves and have a go, try things, be brave. You won't always be shown the way, you have to find the way.

Advice to Management

Keep on focussing on the customer and caring for the team; it's what makes HX such as special place to work.

27 Sep 2018 – Deputy CEO Holiday Extras

Thank you for taking the time to leave this review. Caring for our team and our customers is paramount to who we are so we’re pleased to hear this feedback.

We agree, we are so fortunate to have... More

5. "Good employer that genuinely cares"

I have been working at Holiday Extras full-time

Pros

Flexible hours, can work from home, time banking all help with childcare needs plus a great working environment and really lovely people.

Cons

High pressure environment for what appears to be a relatively low salary unfortunately encourages people to look elsewhere.

Advice to Management

Not everything needs to be done now, sometimes it's more important to do it properly.

"Heading in a very unsettling direction"

I worked at Holiday Extras full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Good learning and development.

- Opportunity to work with talented people (although the really talented ones don't stay for long).

- Flexible working.

- An okay place to work if you want to settle down. This company is not for the ambitious.

Cons

- Some choices for people management are questionable.

- A considerably large gender pay gap.

- The board is largely made up of men. Female talent and other diversity verticals are almost none existent.

- The "people team" (HR) don't do a great job of looking after their people. Conflict is solved by putting two people in a room together to "have it out" which often causes more problems than it solves.

- Pay is not transparent. There are various cases of people being paid much less despite having the same job title and level of responsibility.

- Various complaints have been made about one employee in a senior position who uses derogatory language in meetings, creates sexist imagery and generally has a lack of respect for people in "lower" positions. Unfortunately, these complaints do not get taken seriously.

- There have been many rebrands of Holiday Extras over the years which is inconsistent and frustrating to employees. It's hard to raise brand awareness on a brand that is forever changing.

- The latest rebrand is heading in an unsettling direction. They're trying to be "shocking" but unfortunately, this often comes out as offensive, vulgar and desperate.

Advice to Management

Give your people managers and HR department adequate training, particularly on mental health. The way that sensitive matters have been dealt with in the past is appaling.

Trust in the talent and competencies of your employees. Don't micromanage them!

Eliminate sexism within the workplace. Having a "Women @ HX" group is a good start but management should also be calling out sexist language and behaviour when they see it.

Be transparent when it comes to pay and reward. There's a big issue here that desperately needs fixing.

13 Sep 2018 – Deputy CEO Holiday Extras

Thank you for your review. We are very disappointed to hear that you feel this way about working at Holiday Extras. The experience you describe does not match our intentions for our team where we... More

"A marginally better call centre...."

Former Employee - Travel Consultant in Hythe, Kent, South East England, England (UK)

I worked at Holiday Extras full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Friendly people, was a relaxed environment (but that's changed), home working

Cons

Poor wages, poorer wage increases.

Advice to Management

None - they know very well how to squeeze as much money as possible out of the employees.

27 Sep 2018 – Deputy CEO Holiday Extras

Thank you for your review. Our people are at the heart of everything we do so we’re sad to hear this feedback.

We are proud to be a Living Wage employer and have been for the past three years. As... More

"Holiday extras"

I worked at Holiday Extras full-time

Pros

Good profit share quarterly. Option to work from home.

Cons

Management styles conflicting and not much support

27 Sep 2018 – Deputy CEO Holiday Extras

Thanks for your feedback. We’re really glad that you liked the option to work from home. We pride ourselves on our approach to flexible working, which includes the ability to work remotely to help... More

"Disappointed"

I have been working at Holiday Extras full-time

Pros

struggling to find any pros at the moment, only thing really is the healthcare and a BBQ and firework display,

Cons

People team are unable to provide any real support and seem unclear of what the job entails. There is a lot of lip service and not much action. There is very little respect unless you choose to be a yes sir, no sir, three bags full sir type of person. You cannot have your own opinions as if you do you will be pushed to leave and stand absolutely no chance of progression. There is a very big boys club within the hierachy of the company. It is shocking that if you are not a member of staff there are more benefits and discounts, would like to have thought that they would rather provide job satisfaction and a decent profit share as this dwindled considerably regardless of how hard we seem to work

Advice to Management

Start allowing good honest people the chance to thrive. There seems to be lots of decisions that are based purely about money rather than the best outcome for both customers and staff. Treat people as you would like to be treated yourself and not like they are just a number and you will find staff retention will grom

27 Sep 2018 – Deputy CEO Holiday Extras

We’re really sorry to hear this feedback - we don’t want anyone to feel this way about working at Holiday Extras. Particularly as you are a current HXer, we’d really like to open a dialogue with you... More

"Travel consultant"

I worked at Holiday Extras full-time

Pros

Amazing company, lots of benefits, profit share, free bbqs, parties, well being week, Christmas and Halloween dress up, birthday off as paid

Cons

Call centre very separate to the rest of the company

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you’re doing - I miss it!