Holiday Extras Reviews | Glassdoor.com.au

4.1
Holiday Extras CEO Matthew Pack
Matthew Pack

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Remote and flexitime working; if you want to work from home you can and choose hours that suit you home life (in 16 reviews)

• Amazing support and hard working teams, flexible working hours, Family orientated for a work/life balance and continued support to progress (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • Would love the senior management to spend some time doing our work so they know the problems we have to overcome (in 3 reviews)

• Bullyin in the call centre and favouritism is rife (in 3 reviews)

1. "Couldn't work for a better company!"

Pros

- Very supportive, from senior leadership down the company genuinely cares about your wellbeing.
    - You feel trusted an empowered - trusted with office equipment at home, trusted to make decisions and not penalised if something is wrong - everything is a learning opportunity.
    - Great work life balance
    - Brilliant environment to work in, we work hard but feel relaxed and at ease at work
    - Lots of fun - the company are excellent at putting on fun events for staff and family
    - Great opportunities for development - having lots of departments in one building allows movement to play to strengths.
    - Beautiful grounds, outdoor seating areas nice when you fancy a break from the computer screen.
    - Great facilities - lounge area is fab, pool table, foosball, kitchen area with tea and coffee making supplies.
    - Flexible - working from home and flexi hours are great when needed.
    - Amazing benefits available - from pensions, to share save plans, private healthcare to social clubs we have got so many fabulous benefits available to us.

Overall I love everything about the company and have enjoyed every moment over the past 6+ years. The company make you feel so valued and support you in every aspect of life. Holiday Extras really is an amazing place to work and I feel so lucky to be here.

Cons

The heating system is strange and the office is often too warm in the summer and really cold in the winter - we can't have everything right?

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing!

"Airport Call Centre"

Current Employee - Travel Consultant in Hythe, Kent, South East England, England (UK)

I have been working at Holiday Extras full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Given own apple mac laptop, lots of benefits, and the training system at the start was very good.

Cons

Unrealistic targets, constantly being threatened about getting sacked from the company, have to deal with angry customers as the customer service team specialized in this department do not take on the calls so we are left to deal with it, unapproachable management, horrendous hours working until 11pm.

Holiday Extras Response

19 Sep 2017 – Associate People Director

Thanks for your review. We’re sorry that you have some concerns and would like the opportunity to discuss these with you so we can understand them in more detail.

In response to some of the... More

"My honest review of how I see things"

Current Employee - Sales Consultant in Ashford, Kent, South East England, England (UK)

I have been working at Holiday Extras full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible, Growth family run, treated like an individual, good support system.

Cons

Poor incentives, current unrealistic targets,recruitment needs looking at (hiring sales people rather than customer service driven) Unapproachable team management, only progress if "your face fits" Not enough praise given to staff where due.

Advice to Management

Inject more money into team incentives to motivate staff more. Break down the current teams in half. I believe the current management are not coping, they are going through a tick box process when it comes to coaching, but they dont have enough time to engage and motivate staff which should be part of their job. They spend too much time call auditing or in meetings and dont seem to be around enough. It has been noticed when certain people do step up for their teams they tend to be almost ignored. That person will never be approached or included in anything (including meetings or discussions about current team stats) therefore making them feel isolated and ignored. They are given the "stay on the floor while we go talk about grown up stuff" attitude!! when having discussed this with certain management in the past,i was advised that company couldnt justify another 3 manager (Yet we manage to pay large wages upstairs and not have to pay much out on incentives because no money is out in!)
    Even another 2 managers to improve the quality of current manager roles and workload would potentially be enough, but current managers are having to manage 20-25 people per week,i dont think this produces an efficient manager.

Holiday Extras Response

29 Aug 2017 – Associate People Director

We’re really sorry to read this feedback. We recently sent out our company-wide engagement survey - we hope you felt that you were able to feedback there. However, we’d like to understand more about... More

5. "Positive and uplifting working environment"

I have been working at Holiday Extras full-time

Pros

For call centre work the company make you feel important and create a good working environment. The culture of the company is also very good.

Cons

Working on the phones can sometimes be repetitive but that is the nature of the work.

Advice to Management

Create a clear path for those looking to progress, there are many ambitious people within the business

6. "I love my job"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hythe, Kent, South East England, England (UK)

I have been working at Holiday Extras full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I love working at Holiday Extras because I have been given every opportunity to develop in my career. Holiday Extras has helped me find what my skills and strengths are and helped me build plans to achieve what I'd like to achieve.

I love the culture, I love the work, I love the building and I love the team.

Cons

I wouldn't say there are any downsides. HX HQ is out of town, but there are good public transport links if you don't drive (and you can work remotely).

"Shortbreaks Call Centre"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Smeeth, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Smeeth, England (UK)

I have been working at Holiday Extras full-time

Pros

Supportive environment with good opportunities to progress and get on in the team or in other teams around the business if thats what you want. Recognition is always readily available for a job well done so you want to do your best as you know it wont go unnoticed. Good benefits, especially if you are in the call centre.

Cons

Equipment (computers etc) is sometimes not up to standard.

Advice to Management

Keep recognising people as it drives them to do even better.

8. "Friendly and uplifting company"

I have been working at Holiday Extras full-time

Pros

The company builds on your current skills and personality to help you be yourself but also achieve your targets within the company, very positive work environment and potential to learn new skills.

Cons

Although suited to the level of work, the pay and pay rise potential is not fantastic

Advice to Management

Produce a clear pay rise structure for those that spend some time at the company

"Mostly positive"

I have been working at Holiday Extras full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The general atmosphere of the building is friendly and welcoming. In-house people team do a lot to make sure that everyone is looked after and engaged in their own development. Career opportunities are plentiful, as long as people are willing to put in the hard work to make the most of them.

Cons

CEO and leadership team are over-involved in the work, to the point of micro-management, which affects the motivation of those who are supposedly paid for their expertise in any given area.

Advice to Management

Trust the people you hire to do the job that you've hired them to do.

"Shortbreaks"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ashford, Kent, South East England, England (UK)

I have been working at Holiday Extras (More than 3 years)

Pros

Amazing support and hard working teams, flexible working hours, Family orientated for a work/life balance and continued support to progress.
    Rewarded for hard work and dedication with a lot of FOOD!
    Regard for wellbeing

Cons

i need to go to the gym to shift the cake!

Advice to Management

Continue to listen to staff as usual and implement ideas.

11. ""Shortbreaks Is The Place To Be!"

Current Employee - Call Center Agent in Smeeth, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Call Center Agent in Smeeth, England (UK)

Pros

I have been working In Shortbreaks for 5yrs. They are an outstanding company to work for, who look after us in every way. There's plenty of opportunity for progression within the company if you work hard. They have a great Work/Life ethic and great benefits!
    I look forward to going to work everyday, I love my work family!

Cons

I don't have anything bad to say, The people are lovely, the environment/surroundings we work in are beautiful. I am very lucky to work in such a fantastic place.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing!