HubSpot Reviews | Glassdoor.com.au

4.7
HubSpot CEO & Founder Brian Halligan
Brian Halligan

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "The awareness around work/life balance is also very appreciated" (in 39 reviews)

• "Work from home or flextime is highly supported" (in 32 reviews)

Cons
  • "Work/life balance can be difficult to work out at first" (in 47 reviews)

• "It's a growing company so there are some growing pains obviously associated with that" (in 31 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Still great after 4+ years"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA (US)

I have been working at HubSpot full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I've been at HubSpot now for almost 4 years and there's nowhere else I've even thought about working in that time. Why? HubSpot is a great place to work. I feel like I'm valued. I have a lot of autonomy in how and when and where I work. I feel strongly about the mission of the company. All in all, I'm extremely happy here.

Cons

As the company grows, scaling communication and decision making becomes more difficult. Luckily, it's something that's top of mind for many people who are working to make communication easier and better.

11 Jun 2018 – Chief People Officer

Thanks for spending 4+ years with us and for your kind review--I'm super grateful to you for sharing it. I agree with you on scaling communication and decision making--my hope is that the investments... More

2. "Couldn't be happier at HubSpot"

Current Employee - IT Manager in Sydney
    Current Employee - IT Manager in Sydney

I have been working at HubSpot full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-First and foremost, the people are great to work with and we've achieved this by hiring for HEART. Google the "HubSpot Culture Code" for more info.

-Career growth: We're a growing company and we have many challenges we're looking to solve as we scale, we're dead serious about solving them.

-Product: Our business is strong and our product keeps getting better. We care about our customers first, that leads to great outcomes for our business.

-Facilities: Our offices are designed to make you feel comfortable and happy to be at work, we aim to make HubSpot the best place to do your best work and that extends beyond our facilities.

-D&I: We have ongoing initiatives and resources dedicated to ensuring people feel comfortable to be their whole selves at work. It's a priority for all managers and teams.

There are so many more pros that I can mention, but these stand out for me after being here for almost 3 years.

Cons

-It's not an easy job, you are constantly challenged to do better.

15 Oct 2018 – Chief People Officer

Hi to the SydSpot team and hope you're enjoying the Royal Visit! I can't believe Princess Meghan announced she's having a baby while she's just steps from our Sydney office, it's all so exciting... More

3. "HubSpot has changed my life"

I have been working at HubSpot full-time

Pros

HubSpot has changed my life... and that is not hyperbole. When people ask me why I continue to work at HubSpot, this is how I answer: (1) I'm in love with our mission. We really help businesses grow and that's a powerful force. (2) The people. HubSpot has a rare breed of people that are insanely smart and helpful. That is a rare combination. (3) We're winning. We continue to grow quickly and that means there is a lot of opportunities. Plus, it just feels great to be on a winning team and in a winning culture.

So when I say HubSpot has changed my life it's been about amazing experiences to learn with wonderful people around me going after an amazing mission to help millions of businesses grow better. And yes, my career and earnings have exceeded all my dreams. HubSpot has changed my life.

Cons

HubSpot isn't for everyone. If you can't work hard enough, HubSpot isn't for you. You'll fall in love with HubSpot and our people, but you won't enjoy it fully. We have amazing training and managers to help you, and we have amazing perks like work from home, unlimited vacation, and flexible working hours, but these are perks are tough to use when you don't have the engine to perform. We are a performance driven company and some people just aren't cut out for that.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing. Continue to be brave about the direction of HubSpot and pragmatic in your approach.

9 Oct 2018 – Chief People Officer

I love that you love to win (spoiler alert: I do too), but I love even more than HubSpot has had a meaningfully positive impact on your life--your review made me tear up, so thank you for sharing. I... More

4. "Great place to progress your sales career"

I have been working at HubSpot full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Completely results driven promotion structure - if you perform you get promoted period. Typically use to the politics behind in-line promotions from other sales organizations so it's a breath of fresh air to know if you bring value to the company, are a high-producer and a good person to work with you will be rewarded.

I really love the people I work with.. we higher on culture really well and i've seen fantastic sales people not hired as they weren't seen as culture fits.

Unlimited leave and solid balance on work/life balance

Very flat structure - exposure and access to Execs is very easy

One of the most transparent organizations ever, the humility of the C-suite, the regular candid posts and communications on both wins/losses is just amazing considering the size of our org

Top class inside-sales training, you spend a lot of time overseas in product training and have regular training after you come back as well. Once you return you have a senior sales rep to shadow and you are also put on a lengthy "ramp" to get you ready for a full quota.

Regular sales competitions with equity, cash, travel prizes

The product/vision is something you can really get behind if you are passionate about helping businesses grow

Cons

HubSpot has traditionally hired a certain type that really want to over-perform - but this has resulted at times in a sales org that doesn't take as many breaks as necessary. We have unlimited leave (completely paid for) but not as many people feel OK to take it .

Very sales driven org and have seen examples of a top sales rep get away with a lot more discrepancies then typically would be allowed. Really reminded me that results can matter more then doing the right thing but this was the only time I have been disappointed by management.

You have to be either really talented or work very hard when you first begin to do well- a lot of our sales managers are either new or promoted from top senior reps which means they can't teach to sell the solution yet or they are only just learning how to manage people. Expect to pick things up quickly or rely on senior sales reps.

Advice to Management

Keep the heart of HubSpot Sydney there

People want to be inspired or aspire to be like their execs, as such management needs to always be held to a greater standard and contribute to growth of the employees. You want to look at management and see examples of people to aspire and look up too.

23 Apr 2018 – Chief People Officer

Thanks so much for the thoughtful review and reflection on life at SydSpot, I really appreciate all the time and effort you put into this. A few thoughts: love that you feel we get hiring right for... More

"Life in Sales @ HubSpot Sydney"

I have been working at HubSpot full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good place to work for, great benefits and recently fixed pay so you can expect to be happy from a compensation perspective.

If you’re a high achiever, expect good stock incentives, commission and international travel perks, some of the best I have seen.

You can expect some fairly good flexibility when it comes to taking extended holidays, time off and working away, depending on the manager.

Really good senior leadership outside of ANZ, although you don’t get to meet a lot of them, expect to still be guided by smart people.

When leaders do respect you, they do everything they can to help your career at HubSpot. It’s a great atmosphere in that sense.

You will have a crazy amount of people who want to talk to you and love HubSpot. In order to win here, expect to work hard and smart, be a great at telling stories and have a consultive sales approach.

Cons

Hubspot ANZ focuses too much on internal hiring, which naturally results in the wrong people for the job. HubSpot does a really bad job at sourcing for managers externally, some of the worst I have come across.

Expect your manager to be incredibly green / new and rely on good reps to mentor you. If you expect the manager to guide you, you will fail in this setting as you will feel like you’re teaching them how to manage people. This could change in the future, however is a current pain in the office. Managers come in with no training, so in a way you can’t blame them, but just be mindful of this.

Working flexibility arrangements aren’t the same in ANZ, so be careful about reading the culture code and expecting the same in our office, because it won’t be. This is the same for reps at 70% of target or 150% of target, so don’t expect to be a high achiever and have more flexibility.

It’s a very young office, so you will need to be okay with heaps of banter, silly chats and young people. I don’t mind this but you will need to be aware of this culture. Average age is probably 24-26.

You might complain about culture, or fill out our quarterly ENPS to give feedback. Expect nothing to be actioned, but constantly here “we’re working on how we can improve this”. My 2 cents is that because everyone is so green, they don’t know where to start.

Advice to Management

We have a great educational fund that can be used to up-skill, yet 4 new managers and no one has used it?

To me, this makes no sense. It almost defeats the purpose of having this incentive. We need to relax on culture and focus more on productivity, rep development and sales. We are in sales, not PR. I don’t care if we have free drinks and boat parties if we miss target and have to have stupid conversations about it all the time.

We live in a weird world where reps get upset if you micro management them on activity, but we’re in sales? If you don’t like people asking you every week about your number or activity done, do us a favour and move to a non sales role. You will sleep better at night as well.

Focus on hiring older, more mature people. Ironic coming from someone young however it’s important to have people that understand sales, are experienced and can offer a different perspective. Make BDR promo pathway harder. It’s ridiculous 21 year olds feel entitled to be an AE after 12 months, with little sales experience and we wonder why they don’t do well. This is particularly important this year due to the bad start we have had. One again, hire the best talent, stop worrying about internal promotions.

5 Apr 2018 – Chief People Officer

Thanks for your feedback on SydSpot and HubSpot and for helping our sales team in ANZ grow. It sounds like you've experienced some really good elements of HubSpot life and have some solid perspective... More

"Inside Sales Account Executive"

I worked at HubSpot full-time

Pros

- Good Culture
    - Fast Paced
    - Good benefits / perks

Cons

The company has become essentially a frat house. No diversity when it comes to age groups, they simply want to hire the youngest people they can exploit. Unfortunately, the interview process when you eventually get through is a nightmare. They have the most drawn out interview process in the world, and make you jump through so many hoops only to earn a below market salary. They can do this because they make up for it with the culture, but compensation is poor in comparison to what they expect at the interview stage. This shows there is some delusion from the hiring team in thinking this is actually acceptable behavior.

Advice to Management

Streamline your interview process to respect peoples time, and pay your staff above market rates. Culture only goes so far when you're working in a frat house.

21 Mar 2018 – Chief People Officer

Disappointed to hear this feedback, thank you for sharing it. Our sales compensation is competitive and we regularly look at market rates and industry data to ensure it's benchmarked appropriately... More

7. "The Culture Isn't Just a PR Play"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sydney
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sydney

I have been working at HubSpot full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Before I joined I was skeptical about the culture and perks being a ploy to mask a less-than-ideal place to work (as is the case with lots of companies) but HubSpot really delivers on its promise of a fantastic culture.

What most people are most attracted to (unlimited vacation etc.) is actually not what keeps me in my job. I get to work with the best group of people, both here in Sydney and all over the world in our other offices. I have a fantastic manager who pushes me to achieve things I never thought I could (or rather that I never *think* I can, until I look back and see how far I've come).

The Sydney office has a particularly special thing going on. Amazing people, tons of fun, but serious about the goals we have and all the hard work it's going to take us to get there.

Cons

HubSpot is full of super talented, ambitious people and it can be easy to feel like you're not good enough (imposter syndrome is at an all-time high working here!)

I find my work-life balance has ups and downs. Sometimes I'm flat out and all I think about is work, but on the flipside, I never get downtrodden by it as I have the best team and we're all in it together. The fact I'm able to manage my own schedule (when I work, and where I work) with no questions asked really helps too, as even when things are crazy, I can still fit my job around the rest of my life.

Advice to Management

Keep the bar for talent exceptionally high as we grow -- it's what makes HubSpot such a valuable learning experience for anyone working here.

8. "Great Company That Practices What They Preach!"

Current Employee - Business Development in Sydney

I have been working at HubSpot full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Hubspot uses the product they sell. That says a lot
    Amazing individuals work here - they're all very hard-working, supportive and fun
    Huge opportunities for growth and promotions - Everything is very transparent

Cons

It's a fast-paced culture, so the on boarding can feel overwhelming. But that's really the same with any job, right?

Advice to Management

Continue fostering the high-paced, motivated atmosphere that Hubspot rewards but continue making it feel like a safe space to work, a place where failure is accepted and human weakness/errors aren't causes for embarrassment or shame.

12 Sep 2017 – Chief People Officer

Hi to our friends in SydSpot! So glad I got to visit you all last month, thank you for having me! I promise we'll continue to keep our fast pace but also ensure people feel not just safe to fail but... More

9. "The BEST place ever to start your sales career"

Current Employee - Business Development in Sydney

I have been working at HubSpot full-time (More than a year)

Pros

HubSpot has done an amazing job at balancing what's important. There's so much autonomy within the organisation, paired with carefully thought-out and rolled-out processes.

I started as an Inbound Sales Coordinator and am now in a Principal BDR role. The promotion path in sales is incredibly transparent, and hard work is both recognised and rewarded. My managers have challenged me and been incredibly supportive since day 1.

The people at HubSpot are some of the best you'll ever meet, both incredibly helpful and hard-working. The culture code isn't a PR front to get people in the door — sure, it's a little cheesy, but it really is embedded within the entire org which is so wonderful to be a part of.

It's hard not to love your job when you work at HubSpot.

Cons

There isn't a tonne of opportunity for frequent international travel as a BDR/sales rep here. Only a con if you want to travel for work!

9 Aug 2017 – Chief People Officer

Congrats on your progression within our sales org, and thanks for writing up this review--I had a wonderful time visiting SydSpot this week and getting to know some of the new folks on the team, and... More

10. "Review"

I have been working at HubSpot full-time

Pros

Growing business providing useful tools to small and medium businesses

Cons

Lost management with no real direction at this point. Expanding without a plan

Advice to Management

Pay your employees better