HubSpot Reviews | Glassdoor.com.au

4.6
HubSpot CEO & Founder Brian Halligan
Brian Halligan

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Work/Life Balance with unlimited holidays and work from home option" (in 30 reviews)

• "If you need to work from home that's not an issue" (in 24 reviews)

Cons
  • "401k match is low comparatively and work/life balance can be strained during busier periods" (in 43 reviews)

• "Growing pains involved with a scale-up company" (in 27 reviews)

1. "Great place to progress your sales career"

Current Employee - Account Executive in Sydney

I have been working at HubSpot full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Completely results driven promotion structure - if you perform you get promoted period. Typically use to the politics behind in-line promotions from other sales organizations so it's a breath of fresh air to know if you bring value to the company, are a high-producer and a good person to work with you will be rewarded.

I really love the people I work with.. we higher on culture really well and i've seen fantastic sales people not hired as they weren't seen as culture fits.

Unlimited leave and solid balance on work/life balance

Very flat structure - exposure and access to Execs is very easy

One of the most transparent organizations ever, the humility of the C-suite, the regular candid posts and communications on both wins/losses is just amazing considering the size of our org

Top class inside-sales training, you spend a lot of time overseas in product training and have regular training after you come back as well. Once you return you have a senior sales rep to shadow and you are also put on a lengthy "ramp" to get you ready for a full quota.

Regular sales competitions with equity, cash, travel prizes

The product/vision is something you can really get behind if you are passionate about helping businesses grow

Cons

HubSpot has traditionally hired a certain type that really want to over-perform - but this has resulted at times in a sales org that doesn't take as many breaks as necessary. We have unlimited leave (completely paid for) but not as many people feel OK to take it .

Very sales driven org and have seen examples of a top sales rep get away with a lot more discrepancies then typically would be allowed. Really reminded me that results can matter more then doing the right thing but this was the only time I have been disappointed by management.

You have to be either really talented or work very hard when you first begin to do well- a lot of our sales managers are either new or promoted from top senior reps which means they can't teach to sell the solution yet or they are only just learning how to manage people. Expect to pick things up quickly or rely on senior sales reps.

Advice to Management

Keep the heart of HubSpot Sydney there

People want to be inspired or aspire to be like their execs, as such management needs to always be held to a greater standard and contribute to growth of the employees. You want to look at management and see examples of people to aspire and look up too.

23 Apr 2018 – Chief People Officer

Thanks so much for the thoughtful review and reflection on life at SydSpot, I really appreciate all the time and effort you put into this. A few thoughts: love that you feel we get hiring right for... More

"Life in Sales @ HubSpot Sydney"

Current Employee - Account Executive in Sydney

I have been working at HubSpot full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good place to work for, great benefits and recently fixed pay so you can expect to be happy from a compensation perspective.

If you’re a high achiever, expect good stock incentives, commission and international travel perks, some of the best I have seen.

You can expect some fairly good flexibility when it comes to taking extended holidays, time off and working away, depending on the manager.

Really good senior leadership outside of ANZ, although you don’t get to meet a lot of them, expect to still be guided by smart people.

When leaders do respect you, they do everything they can to help your career at HubSpot. It’s a great atmosphere in that sense.

You will have a crazy amount of people who want to talk to you and love HubSpot. In order to win here, expect to work hard and smart, be a great at telling stories and have a consultive sales approach.

Cons

Hubspot ANZ focuses too much on internal hiring, which naturally results in the wrong people for the job. HubSpot does a really bad job at sourcing for managers externally, some of the worst I have come across.

Expect your manager to be incredibly green / new and rely on good reps to mentor you. If you expect the manager to guide you, you will fail in this setting as you will feel like you’re teaching them how to manage people. This could change in the future, however is a current pain in the office. Managers come in with no training, so in a way you can’t blame them, but just be mindful of this.

Working flexibility arrangements aren’t the same in ANZ, so be careful about reading the culture code and expecting the same in our office, because it won’t be. This is the same for reps at 70% of target or 150% of target, so don’t expect to be a high achiever and have more flexibility.

It’s a very young office, so you will need to be okay with heaps of banter, silly chats and young people. I don’t mind this but you will need to be aware of this culture. Average age is probably 24-26.

You might complain about culture, or fill out our quarterly ENPS to give feedback. Expect nothing to be actioned, but constantly here “we’re working on how we can improve this”. My 2 cents is that because everyone is so green, they don’t know where to start.

Advice to Management

We have a great educational fund that can be used to up-skill, yet 4 new managers and no one has used it?

To me, this makes no sense. It almost defeats the purpose of having this incentive. We need to relax on culture and focus more on productivity, rep development and sales. We are in sales, not PR. I don’t care if we have free drinks and boat parties if we miss target and have to have stupid conversations about it all the time.

We live in a weird world where reps get upset if you micro management them on activity, but we’re in sales? If you don’t like people asking you every week about your number or activity done, do us a favour and move to a non sales role. You will sleep better at night as well.

Focus on hiring older, more mature people. Ironic coming from someone young however it’s important to have people that understand sales, are experienced and can offer a different perspective. Make BDR promo pathway harder. It’s ridiculous 21 year olds feel entitled to be an AE after 12 months, with little sales experience and we wonder why they don’t do well. This is particularly important this year due to the bad start we have had. One again, hire the best talent, stop worrying about internal promotions.

5 Apr 2018 – Chief People Officer

Thanks for your feedback on SydSpot and HubSpot and for helping our sales team in ANZ grow. It sounds like you've experienced some really good elements of HubSpot life and have some solid perspective... More

"Inside Sales Account Executive"

I worked at HubSpot full-time

Pros

- Good Culture
    - Fast Paced
    - Good benefits / perks

Cons

The company has become essentially a frat house. No diversity when it comes to age groups, they simply want to hire the youngest people they can exploit. Unfortunately, the interview process when you eventually get through is a nightmare. They have the most drawn out interview process in the world, and make you jump through so many hoops only to earn a below market salary. They can do this because they make up for it with the culture, but compensation is poor in comparison to what they expect at the interview stage. This shows there is some delusion from the hiring team in thinking this is actually acceptable behavior.

Advice to Management

Streamline your interview process to respect peoples time, and pay your staff above market rates. Culture only goes so far when you're working in a frat house.

21 Mar 2018 – Chief People Officer

Disappointed to hear this feedback, thank you for sharing it. Our sales compensation is competitive and we regularly look at market rates and industry data to ensure it's benchmarked appropriately... More

4. "The Culture Isn't Just a PR Play"

I have been working at HubSpot full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Before I joined I was skeptical about the culture and perks being a ploy to mask a less-than-ideal place to work (as is the case with lots of companies) but HubSpot really delivers on its promise of a fantastic culture.

What most people are most attracted to (unlimited vacation etc.) is actually not what keeps me in my job. I get to work with the best group of people, both here in Sydney and all over the world in our other offices. I have a fantastic manager who pushes me to achieve things I never thought I could (or rather that I never *think* I can, until I look back and see how far I've come).

The Sydney office has a particularly special thing going on. Amazing people, tons of fun, but serious about the goals we have and all the hard work it's going to take us to get there.

Cons

HubSpot is full of super talented, ambitious people and it can be easy to feel like you're not good enough (imposter syndrome is at an all-time high working here!)

I find my work-life balance has ups and downs. Sometimes I'm flat out and all I think about is work, but on the flipside, I never get downtrodden by it as I have the best team and we're all in it together. The fact I'm able to manage my own schedule (when I work, and where I work) with no questions asked really helps too, as even when things are crazy, I can still fit my job around the rest of my life.

Advice to Management

Keep the bar for talent exceptionally high as we grow -- it's what makes HubSpot such a valuable learning experience for anyone working here.

5. "Great Company That Practices What They Preach!"

Current Employee - Business Development in Sydney

I have been working at HubSpot full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Hubspot uses the product they sell. That says a lot
    Amazing individuals work here - they're all very hard-working, supportive and fun
    Huge opportunities for growth and promotions - Everything is very transparent

Cons

It's a fast-paced culture, so the on boarding can feel overwhelming. But that's really the same with any job, right?

Advice to Management

Continue fostering the high-paced, motivated atmosphere that Hubspot rewards but continue making it feel like a safe space to work, a place where failure is accepted and human weakness/errors aren't causes for embarrassment or shame.

12 Sep 2017 – Chief People Officer

Hi to our friends in SydSpot! So glad I got to visit you all last month, thank you for having me! I promise we'll continue to keep our fast pace but also ensure people feel not just safe to fail but... More

6. "The BEST place ever to start your sales career"

I have been working at HubSpot full-time (More than a year)

Pros

HubSpot has done an amazing job at balancing what's important. There's so much autonomy within the organisation, paired with carefully thought-out and rolled-out processes.

I started as an Inbound Sales Coordinator and am now in a Principal BDR role. The promotion path in sales is incredibly transparent, and hard work is both recognised and rewarded. My managers have challenged me and been incredibly supportive since day 1.

The people at HubSpot are some of the best you'll ever meet, both incredibly helpful and hard-working. The culture code isn't a PR front to get people in the door — sure, it's a little cheesy, but it really is embedded within the entire org which is so wonderful to be a part of.

It's hard not to love your job when you work at HubSpot.

Cons

There isn't a tonne of opportunity for frequent international travel as a BDR/sales rep here. Only a con if you want to travel for work!

9 Aug 2017 – Chief People Officer

Congrats on your progression within our sales org, and thanks for writing up this review--I had a wonderful time visiting SydSpot this week and getting to know some of the new folks on the team, and... More

7. "Review"

I have been working at HubSpot full-time

Pros

Growing business providing useful tools to small and medium businesses

Cons

Lost management with no real direction at this point. Expanding without a plan

Advice to Management

Pay your employees better

8. "Fantastic please to grow"

Current Employee - Senior Channel Manager in Sydney
    Current Employee - Senior Channel Manager in Sydney

I have been working at HubSpot full-time

Pros

Smart people, great product and great benefits

Cons

Communication can be better to offices outside HQ

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work

"This company gets it"

I have been working at HubSpot full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Hubspot is a company that really thinks about how modern people work, how to get the best out of them and how to ensure they feel fulfilled in their role.

Read the Culture code to get a feel for what Hubspot is about.

I've now been an employee for a year and I can tell you that they really do stick to their culture code and when they don't, they admit it and work to correct it.

So many pros!

- Recognition for work
    - Smart, kind and caring people, no matter which department
    - Challenging work
    - Have not seen workplace politics
    - Amazing offices, in great cities
    - Many external speakers are invited in, to share their insights
    - Learning is strongly encouraged
    - Opportunities to grow, if you want it
    - Flexible work hours for most roles
    - Clear goals and transparency from the top down
    - Regular office events
    - International footprint
    - Hubspot is growing like crazy which is a great time to work for any company
    - Ping Pong! Free Beer! Candy walls! Waffle Wednesdays! EOM Pizza! I hope you have strong willpower

Cons

None that I have experienced so far.

If you have a problem, you have many avenues to voice your opinion. Quarterly employee NPS, weekly feedback apps or you could just talk to your manager, who is always willing to listen and help.

Advice to Management

Stay transparent, Stay ahead of the curve with innovation and continue to invest in culture

8 Dec 2016 – VP, Culture and Experience

I love our Sydney team, thanks for this review and for helping our APAC customers grow. I love that you mention our global footprint and the multiple avenues for feedback as reasons you love working... More

"One Of The Best Account Management/Consulting Jobs In ANZ"

I have been working at HubSpot full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Amazing culture
    - Made me a better professional from day 1
    - Best perks (Unlimited holidays, flexability to work from home as long as you get the work done etc)
    - HubSpot's culture is well known but Sydney's culture is something different all together. Amazing
    - The thorough recruitment process means everyone in the office is on the same page and working towards the same goal

Cons

- It's not a 9-5 job, you're constantly plugged in
    - You have to bring you A game every day as everyone is extremely talented (not necessarily a con if you have what it takes!)
    - Daily pressure from multiple accounts

Advice to Management

Advice to management would be to listen to the changing needs of a growing office. 30 people is very different to 60.

24 Oct 2016 – VP, Culture and Experience

Thanks for your input, and for helping our Sydney team grow! Congrats, by the way, on the one year anniversary of you guys being in the new office--it's crazy to think about how much you've... More