Waitrose Reviews

Updated 16 May 2021

4.0
Waitrose Chairman Sharon White
Sharon White
Pros
  • "flexible overtime great benefits good pay(in 402 reviews)

• "John Lewis/Waitrose are such a great company to work for(in 216 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Long hours sometimes short staffed(in 88 reviews)

• "Most new contracts are part time(in 67 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
    1. 5.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

Lovely place to work. Great work/life balance. Able to "buy" extra holiday days.

17 Oct 2020 - Data Analyst in West Hollywood, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Excellent environment to work in. Great people, great team work.

Cons

Too many reorganisations/transformations in the last year or so which results in job security issues.

2. 5.0

Petit pont

11 Mar 2020 - Sales Associate/Cashier in Sydney
      Business Outlook

Pros

Able to work autonomously or in a team environment Friendly but professional Honest, punctual and reliable Ability to work under pressure Enthusiastic and positive minded

Cons

I am a perfectionist when I work I learned to work in a group so I like mutual aid

3. 5.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Very enjoyable

22 Feb 2020 - Customer Sales Assistant
      Business Outlook

Pros

Staff work well together and are mostly friendly Clientele are mostly very friendly and warm Overtime welcome and paid

Cons

Some customers have overly high expectations but management deals with these people well

4. 5.0

Shop Assistant

25 Nov 2016 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

Good working atmosphere, supportive managers who schedule daily tasks very well in order to allow for a good working speed and what not.

Cons

Sometimes it got quite boring and monotonous doing the same job over and over and over again so maybe a bit better job design could fix this issue and keep the workers more engaged.

5. 4.0
      Former Employee, less than 1 year

Good work life balance

5 Mar 2017 -
      Business Outlook

Pros

Good work life balance mainly

Cons

Managers can be fairly unsympathetic Managers too busy doing paperwork in the office to know how the shop floor really runs

6. 3.0
      Former Employee

Overall OK, but the pay isn't good for the amount of work they require

23 Apr 2021 - Currently Unemployed and Seeking Work in Newcastle upon Tyne, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Pleasant staff, mostly pleasant customers. Employee discount was above average.

Cons

I worked for them for two years and both years they denied my holiday requests repeatedly meaning I had to fight each January to have my remaining holiday allowance paid to me before it was lost. They pushed and pushed me to be crosstrained across the store (I ended up working in 9 roles and training new people in 8 of them) but kept my pay at the bottom of the lowest level, despite their guidelines stating being crosstrained meant you should move up in your pay range. They always had tons of overtime, but would never allow people to have full time hours. They changed my contracted hours a lot (from 8/week to 5/week to 12.5/week to 18.5/week to 11/week to 15/week in the space of 2 years) but always expected me to be fully flexible and work up to 20 hours/week overtime regardless of my contracted hours. I started off on a xmas temp contract and they wouldn't tell me whether they were keeping me on until 2 days before my contracted ended, causing me a lot of stress and financial uncertainty.

7. 3.0
      Current Employee, more than 5 years

Just like any other retail job

16 May 2021 - Customer Assistant Nights in London, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

If your on the old crontract then I would understand why some people stay here as it makes sense. Most of the old contract staff earn alot more than alot of the office based jobs and there are good perks for them for example double pay Sunday or time and half. They also earn premium working over 37 hours.

Cons

If your new to this company i.e less than 5 years then treat this as any other retail job because the pay is average and you can do better.

8. 4.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

A downwardly spiralling company.

5 May 2021 - Service Counter Team Leader in Leicester, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Varied work, lots of overtime, opportunity for training

Cons

Slowly cutting staff, low pay, no more bonus for sunday working / bank holiday.

9. 5.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Great place to work at for first job

24 Apr 2021 - Waitrose Supermarket Assistant in London, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Friendly & helpful staff, good shift patterns, took me on as someone whom had no experience of working in a supermarket + was first permanent job, so are willing to give people a chance. Already been given encouragement & advice regarding progression and have only worked at Waitrose for 3 months. Holiday leave is approved quickly.

Cons

Shift starts are early for morning partners 05.30 - 06.30 starts & only a 30 minute break for an 8 hour shift.

10. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Good place to work

14 May 2021 - Waitrose Supermarket Assistant in Aylesbury, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Company has good work ethic and cares about its employees, great discount across both Waitrose and John Lewis, lovely co-workers.

Cons

- jobs end up being repetitive

Viewing 1 - 10 of 3,609 Reviews