Glassdoor Reviews

Updated 13 Jan 2021

3.7
Glassdoor CEO Christian Sutherland-Wong
Christian Sutherland-Wong
Pros
  • "There is a lot of respect for your personal time and I think in general Glassdoor offers a good work life balance(in 90 reviews)

• "Great people - i know cliche - but love the tech pool and challenges we solve everyday(in 52 reviews)

Cons
  • "While there is a tremendous amount of opportunity, there are also quite a few growing pains(in 47 reviews)

• "Commute can be lengthy since the Mill Valley office is in North Bay(in 23 reviews)

Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
  1. "Great sales position"

Former Employee - Sales Development Representative (SDR) in Chicago, IL

I worked at Glassdoor full-time for less than a year

Pros

flexible hours and great environment

Cons

Chicago office closed from the pandemic

2. "Decent"

4.0
    Former Employee - Sales Development Representative (SDR)

I worked at Glassdoor full-time

Pros

Great teams, care about development

Cons

Hierarchy was always shuffling around

3. "Great Job"

Former Employee - Account Executive in Chicago, IL

I worked at Glassdoor full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great product, great pay incentives, great leadership, overall great job

Cons

Putting in sales deals was way too complicated of a process

Continue reading
  4. "The best move I ever made"

Former Employee - Account Executive in Mill Valley, CA

I worked at Glassdoor full-time for more than a year

Pros

Every generic company will say the team is like family, at Glassdoor everyone was family. We were treated with respect and everyone was excited to collaborate. The competition is healthy and supportive. Most importantly the service provided is essential for the future of all business conducted. They are creating the necessary transparency and accountabilities for genuine companies to thrive. Find the best talent and retain them. Build the family.

Cons

The opportunity ended with Covid.

5. COVID-19

"Supportive & Transparent"

Current Employee - Customer Success Manager in Chicago, IL
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Have had unbelievable support to be successful during Covid-19, including wfh expenses, work/life balance support, and team building opportunities. There are smart and experienced managers in place in CS who are transparent and direct, making our work fulfilling and easier during change. As the CS role's focus has changed as a result of our partnership with sister company Indeed, it has remained a value-add role for clients with autonomy, purpose, and responsibility.

Cons

Compensation could be slightly more competitive but benefits are by far incredible and make up for it.

Continue reading
  6. "Great People, Great Benefits, Typical Corporate Flaws"

4.0
    Current Employee - Lead Data Scientist in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time

Pros

First off, really, really great benefits, comp isn't super competitive but it's very good and I understand my compensation very well. I also really like the transparency around compensation the company just undertook. I love my coworkers, most people are here to do good work and collaborate. Department leadership genuinely cares when there is tension or conflict and works to improve our communication, systems or team setup to mitigate friction. I like my day to day work, it's a good mix of foundational work like creating datasets or dashboard, and more analytic/ML work like building models or analyzing patterns. My manager sets me up for success and trusts me to do my job. Glassdoor takes people management seriously (at least it seems so from my team) and asks managers to really commit to being people managers. My boss cares about my career and has helped me work towards not just my Glassdoor goals but my personal career goals. GD is also flexible on things like taking an afternoon off for a doctor's appointment or changing your working hours to fit your schedule. I'm able to block off time in the middle of the day to go grocery shopping when the stores are empty. The Senior Director of D&I really seems to care, I like him a lot. I trust Glassdoor to work to make it a more inclusive workplace, but we have a lot way to go to be someplace that's comfortable for oft-marginalized people.

Cons

There's a limit to the flexibility. I don't have kids but I've witnessed some stress among my coworkers with kids with WFH/stay-at- home orders/daycare shutdowns. There's acknowledgement that folks may be less productive but no reduction in workload. Deadlines seem pretty arbitrary, we end up stressed out particularly around hitting product-based deadline when it seems the deadline just comes from "it's on the roadmap". Based on my work experience, this is very typical in software companies, but Glassdoor is generally smart so I don't understand why we can't get over this very very typical flaw. Corporate leadership talks the talk about caring about our mental health during mandatory WFH but we haven't really slowed down the pace of work at all (the thing that would do the most to help us cope during a one-in-a-lifetime period of stress and sadness). The layoffs over the summer were really sad :(.

Continue reading

"Focused on the outcome, not the process"

Former Employee - People Team
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Glassdoor full-time

Pros

- Total benefits and compensation package is competitive. Glassdoor paid 100% health benefits premiums and offers incredible health care coverage. This was a great resource to have in the midst of a global health pandemic -Glassdoor swiftly made the decision to go remote and offered resources to employees to adjust to this transition, from offering home office set-up stipend and mental health resources -It is evident that Glassdoor hires good people. Employees and leaders are caring, kind, intelligent and innovative. People stay for the leaders and the way they make employees feel engaged and supported

Cons

I find that the cons fall under one main theme: Glassdoor is focused on the outcome goals but not building the appropriate foundations and process to get there. -Glassdoor made the decision to quickly cut its SMB business to integrate with sister company Indeed. Reductions in force often result in unexpected process and service disruption, but some of the gaps in regard to how current SMB customers would be serviced was a miss that should have been anticipated as part of the process - It has been widely known that Glassdoor significantly lagged in re: to D&I. The employee population asked leadership about the company's plan to address the fact that the team was very homogeneous. Action around D&I initiatives were slow until last summer's events. Since then, Glassdoor has moved towards very aggressive diverse hiring goals. While this is an amazing and needed outcome goal, without the right foundations in place, this can be perceived as a quota to meet vs. creating an inclusive environment where diverse talent can thrive -When it comes to building a team, Glassdoor would benefit from greater focus on coaching and development. In this area, there are two extremes: people with potential are at times pushed out rather than developed. Conversely, individuals who are not qualified for roles are given opportunities without having demonstrated the competencies required for the role

8. "Loved it but was laid off"

Former Employee - Account Executive

I worked at Glassdoor full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Awesome people. Hard work was rewarded. Great culture

Cons

Upper management Laid off after having a lot of success out of no where Whole structure of company is now different

9. "Quotas impossible to hit, have burned almost all accounts, no innovation on product, c"

2.0
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Chicago, IL

I worked at Glassdoor full-time for more than a year

Pros

Culture was okay I guess

Cons

Quotas impossible to hit, have burned almost all accounts with 1000 emails, no innovation on product - LinkedIn and Indeed crush them. Terrible office location. Shouldn’t have been hiring so many people just to lay them off

Continue reading

"Good people lost leadership"

2.0
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The people in this company are solid. There is a really good mission and a product that people need. Really important to provide people with all the information about the jobs that they are going to take. The company as a whole takes care of their employees and were early with work from home options and providing flexible options to work.

Cons

The company as a whole is still having trouble switching from start up to larger stable organization. Strategy is a moving target and there is a lingering legacy leadership with Robert and Ryan that have not let go of the company and are holding it back somewhat. Christian (CEO) is still directed by Robert and doesn't really have a handle on the new product needs. Overall the company is still very much focused on business needs to the detriment of the users. There have been many key people to leave recently and there might be more.

Glassdoor Response

January 13, 2021

Thanks so much for your thoughtful review. We're glad to hear that you have been positively impacted by your coworkers. Our Good People are truly what make Glassdoor a special place to work and innovate on behalf of our job seekers who rely on us. Your feedback regarding stability and strategy for the future is noted. While our founder, Robert, is an important and irreplaceable part of who we are at Glassdoor, Christian has been our sole CEO and made his own leadership decisions since being appointed in early 2020. Thanks again for your valuable feedback – we're appreciative of all you've contributed to Glassdoor!

Viewing 1 - 10 of 705 English Reviews