Onfido Reviews

Updated 20 Apr 2020

4.2
Onfido CEO, CoFounder   Husayn Kassai
Husayn Kassai
Pros
  • "Work/life balance, Sanctus mental health coaching, great colleagues, great opportunities to learn, good office(in 12 reviews)

• "Company is growing and team is working hard to maintain culture(in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • "fast growing so if you don't like that you may be better suited to a larger company which is more steady(in 6 reviews)

• "Vague career progression path in most engineering roles(in 6 reviews)

1. "Proud to work here"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England

I have been working at Onfido full-time for less than a year

Pros

Onfido do their utmost to put us first, and in these current uncertain times they were ahead of the game and planned impeccably a comfortable and stressless transition to work from home. Nice to be part of such a thoughtful working community. You have a voice at Onfido and you are genuinely listened to. The best career move I could have made. A forward and fast thinking Company that is genuinely trying to make changes for the greater good. Love it.

Cons

Very hard to find any faults!

Onfido2020-04-20

"Best job I've had"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England

I have been working at Onfido full-time for more than a year

Pros

Cons

Things change fast, and some people are on a different cadence to others, but there's a genuine focus on culture and people are generally very understanding. There's definitely a place for circumspect and patient thinkers as well as the breakers and changers

Onfido2020-03-18

"Great place to work with unique opportunities to have enormous impact"

Current Employee - Engineering Manager

I have been working at Onfido full-time for less than a year

Pros

Mature start up environment with an electric atmosphere of opportunity.

Cons

Fast paced growth requiring very quick process adaptation

Onfido2020-01-03

January 27, 2020Cofounder & COO

Thanks for the fantastic review!

"Terrible experience"

1.0
    Former Employee - Sales Associate

I worked at Onfido full-time for more than a year

Pros

Some innocent folks who join, only to be very quickly disillusioned by reality

Cons

C Suite have double standards and are disconnected with reality of themselves and others.  There is a nasty hire and fire culture which is celebrated by c-suite. Self centred individuals only concerned with public image leading and representing with no human or family values. All positive reviews as mentioned before are by C Suite and any real ones either deleted or hidden from view.  Like a dictator led govmt. Lack of transparency.  Hush culture - many live in terror of being fired if they speak the truth.  Most are then fired if they do speak the truth. High degree of nepotism and older staff sucking up to C suite to get promotions often with unprofessional intent.  One only needs to ask to find out who is related or known .  The chosen few are often given unfair benefits of working from home, long leave periods and promotions not offered to other employees as everyone in US team knew about.    Multiple internal concerns from sales team about attitude and behavior with no notice taken.  Only concerned with strategy and metrics. Emotionally unable to relate to team and continue repeating the same blurb and memorized text about Onfido at every interview.  Bulldozer approach to everything and everyone.

Onfido2020-02-03

February 16, 2020Cofounder & COO

Hi, I'm sorry to hear you didn't enjoy your time with us. We put a huge amount of effort and focus on our company culture in an effort to motivate and reward team members for their work. On the whole, this is reflected by our high number of positive Glassdoor reviews and engagement score. We don't always get it right though - in your case, it sounds like things didn't work out and that's a real shame. Moving forward, I wish you the best and hope you find a company where you love coming to work every day. Eamon

"Avoid at all cost!"

1.0
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England

I worked at Onfido full-time for more than a year

Pros

New colleagues who keep joining and exiting

Cons

I will try to list a few and hope this is useful for others who are considering Onfido 1. Ignore the positive reviews and score in Glassdoor. These are all internally written and managed by a certain individual in the csuite to create a false impression externally (investors/potential employees) 2. Attrition’s is really high in both sales and ops team 3. Pay is ridiculous and commission is 0. There is no strategy currently on revenue side as multiple leaders came and exited as enough freedom/time was not given to them to perform. 4. Majority of sales are again inexperienced folks who have survived along the way growing up into a sales role in Onfido and having connections to the founders. They lack any knowledge in sales front and highly unlikely anyone in the industry is going to provide them an opportunity. 5. The sales quota assigned this year are impossible to achieve and this has become a open discussion point among all sales peers internally 6. The morale In the sales team is rather low and everyone is looking for an opportunity elsewhere 7. Globally it’s a sad state of affairs on the sales side. USA is going through constant change (unable to get along with UK) and other offices in Asia are more focussed on just getting daily amenities in place. It’s an open joke that individuals outside of HQ are treated as 2nd class citizens with no access to basic amenities. 8. Forget making any commissions here. It is 0 and there is high probability you would be fired in the first 3 months. 9. 0 work life balance in sales. The pressure will kill you. Period. 10. Look at LinkedIn and you will realise that almost 60+ sales folks were fired mercilessly in 2019. Internally this was quoted as misalignment and not a single csuite member took ownership on this.

Onfido2020-01-25

January 30, 2020Cofounder & COO

Hi there, I'm sorry to hear you didn't enjoy your time at Onfido. Many of the numbers in your review are off (for example, we didn't have 60 salespeople in total in 2019 and 100% of salespeople—not 30%—made commission last year). Regardless, it sounds like you generally had a tough time working with us which drove you to write this review. As with any company more than doubling every year, there are natural growing pains. We're lucky enough to have above market rate retention and engagement scores, and naturally although we can't please everyone, we certainly try. I truly hope you find a company where you love coming to work every day. Eamon

"Going big or going home...."

Current Employee - Chief Product Officer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Onfido full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I figured I just hit my 2 year anniversary here and I could share some thoughts that might help you as a prospective colleague of ours make a very important career decision. Reviews in general are often biased by the extremes, I hope this gives you some objective information to evaluate. 1) Our market is large and growing, which is great for Onfido and our challengers in the market. When reviewing a company for potential employment, it all starts here. What is even better is the market is just starting to peak, a great time for joining. 2) Our product and technology were built for the long-term. We did not hurry or take short cuts, but we did have some gaps along the way as we built out a multi-component platform. This is not unlike any other industry that started from scratch. 3) We are absolutely non-compromising on hiring high quality people. Yes, this can create an open position for while, and in some cases we find out that a set of hires might not have been correct. But unlike a lot of companies, these adjustments are made promptly. These are never great experiences for the company or individuals involved. But, not acting is worse for both parties. 4) There is a lot of investment into the culture of the company, moreso relative to other companies I have seen. If you like the culture and it works for you, you will be satisfied with this aspect. No idea if off the table. 5) Our company goals are to win. It is that simple. That is going to bring huge expectations for effort, pace, creativity and quality. Want an easy job? We are not the right place. Want to work with people going big or going home? Take a deeper look. Enjoy pushing yourself and learning each day? Again, that is who we are.

Cons

I look at this section as more "risks" and risks usually have mitigation factors as this size of company, so most things are fixable if not perfect today. However, there are some characteristics that might not be right for you that I will share, so you are not surprised in any way through our recruitment process or onboarding. 1) We are a very young company and as such we are going to make some unique mistakes. But, we are also going to do some things that are unique, bold and unaffected by past precedent bias. An old dog can learn new tricks here, but also directly impact experiential wisdom, which is directly sought out by this Learning culture. There are countless examples of world-class companies started by young founders with experienced executive teams. We of course aim to be the next great company and are not thinking about second place. However, this is a specific type of company unlike a more typical seasoned-CEO-led tech company. Hang on for the ride! 2) We were still dialing in our leadership team while we also had to build an execution team, which admittedly was not 100% perfect in execution. Hindsight is always 100% accurate and can be a cruel judge. But having key leaders in place is absolutely critical to building a great company and the good news 2019 saw the completion of the executive team some key VPs. We also have been continuously hiring fantastic talent into the organization at all levels. We all take hiring as a priority. 3) A global remit in this kind of product/company domain is huge and requires extreme prioritization. Getting good at that as a company requires deliberate practice and continual challenging. We get better at that each quarter, each year but rate ourselves hard on that and will always have room too improve, especially in a frothy market. 4) A global company needs extremely effective communicators internally and externally. This becomes a necessary part of your job, regardless of level. If you don't understand, embrace and execute this, it might not be the right place for you. You need to have thick skin, and constantly take feedback to calibrate your approach. But when you do, you will find that this extremely smart and hard working company will scale your thinking and efforts right along side. 5) Attacking the world from London is a unique angle. We are not your typical Silicon Valley company but we embody a lot of aspects of those companies in our executive leadership and operational pattens and how we look at building product that is massively useful to our customers. We hope to get the best of both worlds but this is a complex formula and one we will need to iterate further to get right. Want to be part of a truly global company?

Onfido2019-08-30

"Ok company, struggles with technical debt and poor management at some levels"

No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Onfido full-time for more than a year

Pros

The company is fun and has a really interesting product For the most part engineering leadership is great Good benefits (including meals and socials) Product is gaining traction and solves a genuine need

Cons

Company struggles with technical debt at all levels and there are some questionable projects led by bad but over priced engineers that are costing the company a lot of money. Upper engineering management is great but middle management is generally poor, with some managers stuck in their ways and unable to adapt. Some bad hires where made and have not been rectified.

Onfido2019-09-14

"Great company! Good people! Exciting product!"

Former Employee - Client Service Manager in London, England

I worked at Onfido full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I joined Onfido pre-series A with less than 20 of us on the floor, and left with the company hosting more than 300 employees in several parts of the world - seeing all of that and the opportunities that came with it along the way was nothing short of amazing. I was given a runway to build a team, the opportunity to take on challenging projects and several opportunities to help shape my career - I owe a great deal to Onfido! For me, the pros are that Onfido has a very exciting product solving a big problem, a network of amazing clients, a super inspiring workforce to learn from and grow with, and a huge number of great benefits that I was certainly able to enjoy - especially flexible working allowing for a great work-life balance.

Cons

As with any start-up, you don't always have all the resources you require so you need to be creative and versatile - this makes Onfido a place to get your hands dirty and build! As the company has grown and the different organisations in the business take shape, sometimes procedures and the need for sign-off come at the expense of efficiency - a difficult balance to strike! Onfido has a truly amazing culture and this is sometimes taken for granted, however, newer leaders don't always mirror the same energy that built Onfido to what it is now - typical growing pain but I know we'll get it right in due course.

Onfido2019-07-31

August 1, 2019Cofounder & COO

Hey, thanks for this detailed review. Glad you could join us for the journey from 20 -> 300, and hope you grew as much as we did during it. Noted on new leaders. We're working hard to ensure our recruitment process is as thorough as it always has been and we never slip into just filling roles for the sake of it. And thank you for the feedback on senior team comms. As you say, we need to do even more to gather input from the team before making a decision, and then communicating decisions out effectively. Hope you're enjoying your new role wherever you are!

"Great vision and product"

Current Employee - Sales in London, England

I have been working at Onfido full-time for less than a year

Pros

It has been a really great experience so far. The onboarding was intense but very valuable. You get to meet fellow Newfidos and instantly have some friends in every department. Onfido really makes sure you get to know the entire business including a Q&A session with the founders. Made me feel very comfortable from Day 1. The culture is great and the leadership team do a good job to make sure it is maintained. Not easy for such a fast growing company. Benefits include flexible working, mental health coaching, fully stocked kitchen with fresh food pretty much every day. Lot's of opportunities to learn and develop, such Onfido university. Everyone is super friendly and approachable, including C and VP level. Last but not least, the product is second to none and our clients love it. Made the right choice.

Cons

Onfido is a fast growing start-up. You have to take your own initiative sometimes to get answers and help, however everyone is happy to take time for you. You will have to put some hard work in for time to time, but you will see the results.

Onfido2019-07-30

August 2, 2019Cofounder & COO

Thanks for the review!

"Love it"

Current Employee - Designer in London, England

I have been working at Onfido full-time

Pros

Welcoming people, feeling of belonging Lots of training and growth opportunities Strong focus on career advancement Amazing benefits Feel supported You are trusted to do your job, no micromanaging Flexible hours Interesting product and discussions around the ethics of what Onfido does Flat structure Socialising is actively encouraged Feel respected as an individual You can have bad days and it is ok Wellbeing is in focus: mental health sessions, subsidised gym membership, tons of healthy food provided, people check in on you to make sure you're not struggling with the workload Amazing talent in the organisation and pleasant personalities - you can learn lots

Cons

New business that grows rapidly - can lack in structure at times, but people are working on it.

Onfido2019-07-25

August 1, 2019Cofounder & COO

Thanks for the review! I loved "you can have bad days and it is ok"—it's a nice way to frame the supportive culture we've tried hard to build here :)

Found 114 reviews