Macquarie Group Java Developer Interview Questions | Glassdoor.com.au

Macquarie Group Java Developer Interview Questions

Interviews at Macquarie Group

2.9

Java Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Gurgaon, Haryana (India)

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Macquarie Group (Gurgaon, Haryana (India)) in May 2020.

Interview

The interview was for a perl developer. Yes, this is the exact confusion I had when I was appearing for interview. There were 3 rounds of interview I have gone through. Below are the details.

Round 1.
Round 1 lasted for about 1hr and 15min. There were 4 people and 5th was just spectating the interview on mute. 90% of the questions were from Java and 10% questions were from perl. It started with my introduction and then proceeded as below.
Types of questions:
                     1. ArrayList
                     2. Difference between ArrayList and LinkedList
                     3. Immutability
                     4. Are Non-primitive datatypes like Integer, Double etc immutable or mutable ?
                     5. Threading using Runnable, Thread class and the interviewer was trying to go into details of executable framework.
                     6. Difference between StringBuilder and StringBuffer.
                     7. Can a single .java file contain multiple public classes.
                     8. MergeSort
                     9. How concurrency is achieved.

Round 2:

Psychometric test. Questions were too hard and each questions were timebound. This round had 4 sections.
Numerical questions required use of calculator and pen and they were about banking domain. Each numberical questions had atmost 15 options one of which was correct answer to the question.
Logical reasoning questions were also too tough. Here too, questions were time bound.
A section to test verbal skills was also there.
Another section to test behavioral skills consisted of 40 questions were also there.

Last and 3rd technical round.

This round started with my introduction.
 One was technical lead and another person seemed like a delivery manager and was just spectating the interview process.
The team lead was too rude in behavior. He was the same person from round 1 who was spectating the interview on mute as he said in his introduction.
100% questions were in perl and I was confused with this as the designation being java developer.
He asked me If I had ever implemented multithreading in perl and asked me some of the methods of multi-threading of perl.
How authentication system works in an organisation level. From my experience, I explained him how I had once implemented authentication . He replied it never happens like that very rudely. He could have asked me to correct the approach in a better way and I could have done that as it happens in every other organisations' interview. But it seemed he was trying to make an impression of being technology superior in front of the other person (delivery manager may be).
He asked me how perl debugger works. I explained him how it works.
He asked what is binary tree and implement it using perl.
He asked me to make a regex for ip-address
Hit an API using perl
Have you every made a web service using perl ?
It seemed the person was least interested in approach and was just interested final answer as if he has nothing to do with approach/ process optimization.

Interview Questions

• He asked me If I had ever implemented multithreading in perl.   Answer Question

Macquarie Group Response

2 Jun 2020 – Macquarie Group

We’re sorry to read about your interview experience at Macquarie. We appreciate the time you have taken to meet with our team and we are committed to delivering a positive interview experience for all of our candidates. We would appreciate an opportunity to further discuss your feedback and encourage you to email careers@macquarie.com so we can arrange a time to speak with you.

Other Interview Reviews for Macquarie Group

Java Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Makati City (Philippines)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Macquarie Group (Makati City (Philippines)) in February 2020.

Interview

1st - Phone interview
    - Questions are mostly from experience and 3 technical questions
    2nd - Technical Exam
    - They sent an email with a practice test link on it and the actual coding exam.
    3rd - Technical Interview
    - 2 interviewers: will ask about exam and tech, mostly OOP
    4th - Psychometric Exam
    - Super hard. Take the practice exam they will send thru email. Exam was done in their office.
    5th - Final Interview
    - Done on the same day of the exam. Interview was with the Scrum Master: experiences and scrum activities

Java Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Manila, Manila (Philippines)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a week. I interviewed at Macquarie Group (Manila, Manila (Philippines)) in September 2019.

Interview

I was referred by a previous colleague who is now working at Macquarie. At first, since I didn't come from a pure java background (although I used a very OOP language as well), I could already feel the prejudice of the HR during the phone interview that I would not be fit for the job. She asked a couple of questions regarding my experience then proceeded to ask some technical questions. After a day, I've been notified that my qualifications weren't what they were looking for.

Java Developer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Macquarie Group.

Interview

I was applying for a grad role, it was two phone calls initially with a group of people, then it was a PA test for which I had to fly to London, then a final phone call remotely

Java Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Manila, Manila (Philippines)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Macquarie Group (Manila, Manila (Philippines)) in June 2019.

Interview

1. Applied on the website. It took two weeks more or less.
    2. HR invited me for a phone interview.
    3. HR told me that they will inform the status of my candidacy within one week.
    4. Three weeks passed and I heard nothing.
    5. The company left me hanging in the dark (Neither a text nor rejection letter was sent).

Java Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New Delhi (India)

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. I interviewed at Macquarie Group (New Delhi (India)) in September 2018.

Interview

I got a call from Global Hunt Consultancy. They had scheduled the interview, which was F2F Java Test 1 to 1.5 hr and PA test 1.5-2 hrs. They had arranged for cabs as well, which were not on time. However, on interview day it was online test on Hacker rank for around 3 hrs.
    Hardly 30 candidates were invited but had to wait, as there was no panel and few laptops.
    All had to wait for long, and HR was not polite. I am sure, that al most all had cleared that round, as programming questions were simple. However, HR informed that there is some technical issue with Hacker rank and they cannot see the results at that time( Strange :p).
    I followed up multiple times throughconsultancy, and they just answer that feedback is not yet received. Simply they are wasting time

Interview Questions

• Simple Array Programs. 2 questions on SQL Queries. few MCQ's   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Sydney

Application

I applied online. The process took 5+ months. I interviewed at Macquarie Group (Sydney) in September 2018.

Interview

Quite a long process, but otherwise painless. Though they did ask some odd questions in the Java programming exam. E.g. there was a question about octals and hexadecimal masks in Java.

Interview Questions

• What is the different between an abstract class and an interface   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sydney

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Macquarie Group (Sydney) in May 2018.

Interview

Appears to be posting fake jobs. After three months of multiple interviews, multiple hacker rank tests, psychometric test with four different teams they reply that "the position is not required hence closing your application".

Extremely slow with the process and unprofessional people. Every time giving a short notice of next rounds and never communicating the feedback unless chased up. Multiple HackerRank tests of 90 min before each face-to-face interview. One psychometric test covering verbal, numerical and logical reasoning.

Don't know their competitors. No interviewers were aware of both of my previous organization in spite of the fact they are the top 2 players in the world in the same business as that of Macquarie.
    As per them, their majority of the team is in Manila and Gurgaon with few in the US. So, no global work culture.

They don't read the candidate's resume before the meeting and comes unprepared.

Male dominating. In 6 face-to-face rounds, total 9 out of 11 were males and one female didn't even speak her name for her introduction. Even the resourcing consultants, receptionists (I found) were males.

Very poor in communicating back unless you called up. They kept on pushing feedbacks ahead and giving further dates.

Extreme show-off, an associate director said "be ready for working 14 hours a day", when I tried to tell my experience, he interrupted me and switched the topic.
    No relevant questions as per the JD or as per technologies mentioned in my resume were asked.

Most of the questions on face-to-face rounds were from most general interview questions found on the internet and they are still living in 2012.
    "Do you know Java 8?" Expected answer, Lambda functions and Metaspace. Not asked anything in detail or any other features like default and static methods in interfaces, new date-time APIs, improvement in Collections APIs and Concurrency package, the jjs or jdeps commands.
    Very simple and basic java questions like difference between abstract class and interface, the concept of hashCode and equals method, working of the GC, working of thread executors, difference between Collection and Collections, the concept of inheritance, the difference between list and set, why strings are immutable (they don't know that Integer, Long and Double classes are also immutable and are not cached like string pool), why char[] is better than String for passwords (they don't know that all the Strings don't go to string pool and what intern method is used for), does JVM virtualization impacts performance or not, how to debug the performance bottlenecks of a system using jconsole. How to kill a Linux process by its command name, not the PID? (They have not heard of killall command).
    Have you worked on NodeJS and Angular/ReactJS (they were not using either of Angular or ReactJS), worked or want to work on Python (they don't know the difference between Python 2 and Python 3 and which version they are using or want to use), used CI/CD, used GIT (When I mentioned CVS and SVN also they were surprised like they are using GIT before it was even developed), Bamboo, JIRA, Docker, Blue-Green release?
    In one of the round, "all" the questions expecting solutions to different services of AWS (Lambda, SNS, SES, SQS and CloudWatch) because interviewer was AWS certified and although I mentioned that I am not aware of AWS, "no" question of any technology mentioned in my resume were asked.). The question asked here was "how to connect a fast client to a slow service?" They don't fully use AWS, they have a wrapper which can be deployed on any computing cloud like EC2 (AWS) or GCP but still asks AWS expertise.

HackerRank questions:
    1. Sorting numbers based on the number of 1's in their binary form and if equal use natural sorting.
    2. Compute the product of maximum and minimum numbers in an array after a push and a pop (remove the given number from the list, not the last number pushed) operations.
    3. Maximum difference between two elements such that larger element appears after the smaller number. Use the single loop solution for them.
    4. Rest client using HttpURLConnection and Gson library to call service and fetch multiple pages by adding page number in URL and fetch all the details then return the sorted list of movie titles returned in each call as an array.
    5. The minimum number of operations to replace duplicate consecutive characters in words. e.g. "abaaab" -> 1 and "abaaaab" -> 2
    6. SQL query using left outer join. Display "all" department names and the respective number of employee in descending order of employee count and ascending order of name.

Behavioural questions: how your colleagues describe you, how do you handle conflicts (their favourite question), given a better role at another firm which firm will you choose, describe your daily activities at work.

Java Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Manila, Manila (Philippines)

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Macquarie Group (Manila, Manila (Philippines)).

Interview

First was the standard HR interview about previous experiences and compensations
    Second was the computer based Java exam - which was difficult
    Third was the Technical interview
    Fourth was the psychometric exam
    Fifth was the Final Interview

Interview Questions

• What was the roles and responsibilities in previous roles?
      Some standard java question to test knowledge in Java.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Sydney

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Macquarie Group (Sydney) in August 2010.

Interview

Only two rounds. First one was conversational Q&A session with technical team lead and a senior developer. Talked about my preference of Java framework, how to go about unit testing, design and performance improvement. Second one was more behavioral questions with project managers. e.g. what do you do if your tasks schedule is not meeting deadline. Any experience working with business stakeholder. how do you explain technical information to business person.

Interview Questions

• what do you do if your tasks schedule is not meeting deadline   Answer Question

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.