Tripadvisor Reviews

Updated 2 Jul 2020

3.5
Tripadvisor President and CEO Stephen Kaufer
Stephen Kaufer
Pros
  • "Free Lunch, Nice Campus, Good Compensation(in 104 reviews)

• "Great benefits, free lunch and the people(in 67 reviews)

Cons
  • "Upper management is a disaster and has been for years(in 25 reviews)

• "During the last large cutting of staff Senior Management said everyone would take a 20% pay cut to help balance the books(in 22 reviews)

1. "Very good"

Former Employee - Front Office Manager in Melbourne

I worked at Tripadvisor full-time

Pros

Management, colleague, location, pay, happy customer.

Cons

There is no much thing to say about cons

July 1, 2020Talent Acquisition

Thank you for sharing your feedback. We’re glad that you enjoyed your experience as part of the Tripadvisor team!

"Political, unfair, toxic culture. Don’t waste your time."

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Sydney

I have been working at Tripadvisor full-time

Pros

* Nice office. * Friday lunch.

Cons

Yes, Viator Sydney used to be a great place till Vacation Rentals stepped in. Tripadvisor Experiences( Viator) got a new CEO from Vacation Rentals and he brought his team with his. Obvious isn’t it. Quite a few higher management relocated to Sydney and took powers into their hands. From then, its all favourism and politics. Favourism over Skill: Managers would never give a chance to the deserving team or the individual, rather they will give it to their favourites. Always, the favourites will get a chance to work on the greenfield projects and to move around new projects and the tech stack. While others need to fix their defects and support the legacy systems. Lack of Trust: Difference in opinion is not at all acceptable. Even if you have it, it’s better not to raise it. You will get into their bad books. Forget about quality or maintenance, release it ASAP, if you say no, you will be tagged as a slow performer. Culture of looking at how many commits you have done in a day/month, how much time you take to deliver a feature at the back of your shoulder. This data could have been used constructively, rather they used it to create an unsafe work culture. You have to be an exhibitionist to thrive. But, the team work was getting destroyed with this culture. Had multiple discussions with the management regarding this, but the efforts were futile. Time spent on pool and table tennis table will be monitored(not officially though). They would ask us to limit our play time, when the US counterparts visits. (Earlier glassdoor review on the same was removed :)) Lack of Freedom: Top management has strong choice of the tech stack to be used in the project across the company. No question of right tool for the right job. For Instance, Spring framework is not favoured, because some team /team members didn’t understand them :). Why on earth, you will write their own transaction management and maintain it??? You need to fight hard to justify that the tool you chose is the right one, end of the day it will be rejected and you would be tagged as rebel.

April 16, 2020Talent Acquisition Specialist

Thank you for taking the time to write your feedback. I recognize that things are very difficult right now and respect that you are feeling frustrated on a number of different issues. I’ll do my best to speak to the points you raised. It is easy to misinterpret feedback that is given to others regarding behavior, code commits, or anything else particularly when it wasn’t given to you personally. For example, no one is bothered by anyone playing pool or ping pong – if we were then those things wouldn’t be available in the office. I trust that everyone utilize these things responsibly and gets their work done accordingly. It is fair to say that no one is ever happy with the technical solutions that came before them and especially those that were designed by others. I’ll be the first to admit that not everything selected is perfect. I feel the best way to move forward is to have an open conversation about how we fix what is broken and in what order we need to address the problems we face. In terms of fairness as to how we go about making decisions, I think those are best understood on a case by case basis. There is often context that helps understand where the team was coming from when a decision was made. We might agree or disagree with those decisions but the context matters and it helps us understand how best to evaluate what we have and how to move forward. For my part, I try my best to avoid mandating a problem be solved in any particular way. It is not my job to prescribe solutions to problems but rather to help facilitate conversations where problems can be solved as a team. I respect that you might be frustrated at the moment but would encourage you to reach out to ask questions or raise concerns about anything that is bothering you. There are a lot of things happening in the world now that are causing all of us stress and so I would welcome the opportunity to help alleviate some of your stress if I can. Best, Jon Swinghammer VP of Engineering, Viator

"Was a great company at the top of their game, what happened?"

Former Employee - Account Executive in Sydney

I worked at Tripadvisor full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great perks and office space.

Cons

Lack of company direction and poor financial and business decisions made by directors which in turn led to layoffs.

March 19, 2020Talent Acquisition Specialist

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. As our company continues to grow, we are appreciative of employee comments that highlight our strengths as well as areas we can improve upon.

4. "Good growth opportunities"

4.0

I have been working at Tripadvisor full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Lots of opportunity to grow, good work culture

Cons

Lacks a structured approach sometimes

November 5, 2019Talent Acquisition Specialist

Thank you for sharing your feedback. We’re happy to hear that you're enjoying your experience as part of the TripAdvisor team. As Never Stop Learning is one of our core values, we appreciate you highlighting opportunities to further your career development.

"Great Office Space"

4.0
    Current Employee - Manager in Sydney

I have been working at Tripadvisor full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Fabulous office design and great breakout area. Fortunate to have 2 outdoor terraces with skyline views. Lots of snacks, drinks and free Friday lunch. Beer taps open from pm on a Friday.

Cons

Working with teams in USA East-coast time zones can be disruptive as can be 17 hours difference. This can cause a lag in response times in regard to decisions.

July 16, 2019Recruiting Operations Coordinator

Thank you for highlighting some of the many perks we provide to employees to ensure that they feel comfortable and enjoy their work environment. We are committed to the idea that we're better together, so having breakout areas and collaborative spaces is definitely a priority when we think about designing our offices. Similarly, our global presence does mean that teams often work in different offices both domestically as well as globally. While this may create a lag in response time occasionally, we do believe that our global presence is a strength. As our company continues to expand, the global nature of our company will continue to play a roll in employees’ lives.

6. "Great"

Former Employee - Reviewer

I worked at Tripadvisor part-time for less than a year

Pros

Great place to work really

Cons

No issues enjoyed my time

July 3, 2019Recruiting Operations Coordinator

Thank you for your positive remarks. We’re constantly striving to maintain a transparent, collaborative environment, so we’re glad that you found that to be the case and enjoyed your time with the company.

7. "The TA Life"

Current Employee - Senior Manager in Sydney

I have been working at Tripadvisor full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Good remuneration , great office, nice team

Cons

No growth opportunity for satellite offices

8. "Good environment"

No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at Tripadvisor full-time

Pros

good environment, they have pool table and table tennis, free snack, drink and ice cream. flexible working hours, and nice colleagues. salary + super + bonus + stock + health care and gym

Cons

although the package is nice but base salary is low

"The Management System is over-hierarchical"

No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Tripadvisor full-time

Pros

Good office in Sydney. Good office services.

Cons

Old technologies, No perspectives. Is hard to suggest any initiatives.

"The land of the greats..."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sydney

I have been working at Tripadvisor full-time for less than a year

Pros

Pay relatively well. Good perks.

Cons

Determined to destroy company culture with traditional ways of thinking. Archaic and waterfall. A software company stuck in 2000s. Leaders still championing past achievements. HIPPO mentality running rampant. Middle management similar to a wintery wonderland. Frozen to change but happy to get drunk on free booze. Incredibly complicated communication chains. Reactive not proactive, death knell to innovation. Upper management is a VIP club mentality. Untouchable and determined to sink with the ship.

August 8, 2017TripAdvisor

We appreciate you leaving your feedback although we’re very surprised by this review. Over the past few years we have invested heavily in an Agile transformation which required large amounts of change within the business. We took this transformation seriously and realized that to do it properly we needed to invest in external Agile coaching. As well as coaching, we now also have full time agile experts working with our Scrum and Kanban teams. We do acknowledge that we are far from perfect in how we work; but we are committed to continuous improvement and have total buy in from all levels of management to do whatever it takes to deliver value to our customers faster. We pride ourselves on the quality of our teams and managers and do quarterly health checks to ensure all of our teams are happy. We recently used a third party company to survey our staff in Sydney and were very pleased to hear that our scores were some of the best that that company had ever seen. As your feedback is different from what we’ve heard from most employees, I would like the opportunity to sit down with you to talk through the issues you have raised. If you have some insights based on projects you have worked on then I would be very keen to hear about the issues in more detail and maybe we can work together to improve the way we deliver features to our end users. Thanks again for your feedback. -Ronan, Sr Director of Engineering

Found 712 reviews