VMware Systems Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor.com.au

VMware Systems Engineer Interview Questions

Interviews at VMware

3.1

Systems Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ weeks. I interviewed at VMware (Denver, CO (US)) in March 2012.

Interview

One phone interview by recruiter, then two different people (networking specialist and a storage specialist) that conducted phone interviews with technical questions (mostly non-VMWare related). Finally I had one in-person interview where I met with my future manager and some technical lead engineers which all asked questions regarding customer interactions, difficult technical situations and time management.

Interview Questions

• troubleshooting a small network, describing RAID levels   2 Answers

Other Interview Reviews for VMware

Systems Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Reston, VA (US)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 8 weeks. I interviewed at VMware (Reston, VA (US)) in January 2011.

Interview

Phone screening followed by a number of in-person interviews. Interviews start with relevant experience and background. Looking for a fit both technically and personality wise, especially good verbal communication skills. After technical interviews expect to interview with team members who will be looking for how well you will integrate into the team.

Interview Questions

• Can you whiteboard a sample customer presentation?   2 Answers

Negotiation

You get what you can negotiate for within the range of what the hiring manager is authorized to extend. Typically this revolves around starting title, base salary, and stock incentives.

Systems Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL (US)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at VMware (Chicago, IL (US)) in June 2014.

Interview

I responded to a recruiter's post, she did a quick phone screen. A few days later I had a more in-depth phone screen. Not long after that I had a first phone interview with the hiring manager. The second interview was also phone, we got straight to the point and talked about salary. I had an offer shortly after.

Interview Questions

• They were primarily interested in what projects I had done implementing VMware technology and how I handled customer interactions   1 Answer

Systems Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ weeks. I interviewed at VMware.

Interview

The recruiter was awesome to work with during the process. Very professional and responsive. Nothing is worse than being in the dark and that was not the case. Moved along fairly quick. Several phone interviews followed by an onsite.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

The offer was very strong and fair based on market and past experience.

Systems Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 7 weeks. I interviewed at VMware (Austin, TX (US)) in May 2014.

Interview

I found this job on all the boards (Monster, Brass Ring, etc). They said they had "hundreds" of resumes submitted. I phone interviewed first with a member of the team (who would become my peer). Then I met him in person. Then I had a call with his peer. Then I had a call with the hiring manager. Then I had a call with that manager's manager. I also had a call with the salesperson aligned with the role. Then I had a face to face meeting with the VP of the group, the whole team, and another salesperson.

It was between me and one other candidate, and I took the initiative to meet with the most senior member of the team and a few others. I was told that it pushed me over the edge and got me the offer.

Interview Questions

• Senior VP asked me detailed questions about where I thought the market for certain products was headed. I had lots to say, and I felt that I nailed it.   Answer Question

Negotiation

I tried but got nothing more than the original offer. Recruiter said "so should I tell the hiring manager that you aren't exactly over the moon about the offer?". I was convinced to take it when I carefully considered the total offer, including stock, benefits, etc.

Systems Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Philadelphia, PA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at VMware (Philadelphia, PA (US)) in July 2013.

Interview

Good discussions with VMware recruiter, and local SE manager lead to on-site interview with SE Manager and a few account reps. Interview questions were the normal, how do you overcome objections, how resources do you use. After several weeks of hearing nothing, was told I wasn't being offered the position, but may be contacted in the future.

Interview Questions

• How do you deal with a customer wanting to go in depth on a product you know little about - 5 minutes before the meeting?   Answer Question

Systems Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL (US)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at VMware (Chicago, IL (US)).

Interview

HR Screen, multiple interviews with team, presentation, addition interviews, being ignored, no feedback on next steps or of no longer in consideration, calls out of blue for more, more being provided no response, over and over, finally lost all interest as not the type of company where I would want to work.

Interview Questions

• Using this to warn anyone considering VMWare to stay far away.
      Horrible treatment of those going through process. I had multiple interviews yet zero information from HR or Hiring Manager. Constantly went dark only to reach back out and ask for more time. HR wouldn't respond to status and never did. If you value yourself don't apply here, they have zero respect for you or your time. Choosing to not hire someone is absolutely ok, not letting them
      know after two plus months of interviews is very unprofessional.   1 Answer

Systems Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Detroit, MI (US)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at VMware (Detroit, MI (US)) in February 2013.

Interview

No problems with the interviewers and others. They were very professional and easy to talk to. They asked questions on hobbies, and other activities. They asked about work history and any specialties.

Systems Engineering Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charlottesville, VA (US)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at VMware (Charlottesville, VA (US)) in October 2017.

Interview

I applied online and was contacted by a HR worker. She originally called me to talk about the position and what the interview process would entail. The interview process consisted of two 30 minute phone interviews, each with a different person at VMware. They were about a week apart.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about yourseld   1 Answer
    • What skills have you acquired that will make you successful in the position you are applying for?   1 Answer

Systems Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at VMware (London, England (UK)) in May 2012.

Interview

I applied for the above role through their website and been screened (with in a week) through the HR team on telephone (around 45 mins), with in few days they setup another telephonic interview with the technical manager. I did really well and explained my skills (presales and technical) and the projects I have worked. The telephonic interview took over 1hr15 mins, which included the technical and standard general questions like why you want to work for VMware, what would be your next career step. With in 2 days I had an email saying that I have not been selected as I'm more on the "delivery side". which is really a joke as I never worked on delivery side and emailed about all the Opportunities I have worked and questioned this. within a day I had response saying that you have some good pre sales experience, however for this particular vacancy we require someone with more experience (standard response)....

Interview Questions

• Nothing, as answered most of the question with in my domain   Answer Question

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.